Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

47 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is very odd statement. Most freshmen Qbs make mistakes. The job of coach is to rein those in. It is possible to acknowledge the obvious talent and also acknowledge that Quinn is making some freshmen mistakes. I guess the difference is I think Quinn is a very talented QB that is still learning the game (only played 8 quarters, so that should be obvious), but you think he is a finished product. 

I don’t think he’s anywhere near a finished product, but I do believe that what will make him great is him taking chances because his arm allows him to be a gambler. You sound like somebody who would have tried to force Barry sanders to run North/South. One of Quinn’s Ints was just a goof ball throw that you don’t even need to teach, he understands what he did wrong. In 67 attempts he’s thrown one actual Int, now you can bluster on about how many should have been picked but that’s all unprovable garbage. Stafford and mahomes throw wtf balls still to this day, but they also throw some holy shit that was amazing balls A LOT. But yeah let’s rein him in, tamp down that instinct that will probably one day make him our greatest QB ever. The more he throws the better he will get, period. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t think he’s anywhere near a finished product, but I do believe that what will make him great is him taking chances because his arm allows him to be a gambler. You sound like somebody who would have tried to force Barry sanders to run North/South. One of Quinn’s Ints was just a goof ball throw that you don’t even need to teach, he understands what he did wrong. In 67 attempts he’s thrown one actual Int, now you can bluster on about how many should have been picked but that’s all unprovable garbage. Stafford and mahomes throw wtf balls still to this day, but they also throw some holy shit that was amazing balls A LOT. But yeah let’s rein him in, tamp down that instinct that will probably one day make him our greatest QB ever. The more he throws the better he will get, period. 

In 67 attempts he’s thrown one actual Int, now you can bluster on about how many should have been picked but that’s all unprovable garbage

it is 2 actual  interceptions. No need to lie to yourself and make up BS. When a ball hits a DBs hands, you can prove it should be an interception. Tape does not lie, fans do

I don’t think he’s anywhere near a finished product,

That is exactly what I was saying. He is extremely talented passer, but still has issues to work on. Glad you agree

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Colt is because of accuracy.

No, he’s not. I’ve seen 6-8 throws in 8 quarters Colt couldn’t make at any point throughout his career. 

The questions on arm strength are fucking hilarious. Arm strength isn’t about throwing the ball as hard or as far as you can. Although there’s plenty of video of him doing both. He can put it anywhere he wants from any angle.  Feet not set, moving left, moving right, backing up…..the ball gets there with velocity. This isn’t something you see a lot of.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Eh not really. College DBs drop tons of balls. I'd say every 5 times you hit a DBs hands it should result in 3 or 4 picks. 

The term is interception worthy. It is more about the decision, than the result. You can not always control the result, but you can control your decisions. 

Examples:

Drop off Worthy's hands was almost picked. That had nothing to do with Ewers. If it was picked, that is not on him. Throw that pass again and again

Miss the defenders underneath or think you can squeeze it in and it bounces off the OU DBs hands, that is a bad decision. Worked out fine, but it is a pass you need to avoid throwing in the future. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

it is 2 actual  interceptions. No need to lie to yourself and make up BS. When a ball hits a DBs hands, you can prove it should be an interception. Tape does not lie, fans do

That is exactly what I was saying, I am glad you agree. 

The problem with the argument of if it hit the DB's hands it should have been picked is you have to start counting the missed blocks by OL that would have resulted in TD passes, and the dropped passes by WR's that would have been TD passes....yada yada yada. It's not a countable stat. It means nothing except to people trying to predict how something is going to go, which lets cite brady, brees, baker, kyler....two guys who were passed over and became hall of famers and two guys who were taken number 1 overall and look like they blow. You can play that game all day long. I wouldn't "rein in" favre, mahomes, stabler, or stafford...ever. You do you though man. He can and will get better but I don't think it will be because Sark told him to quit being who he is naturally. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, RabidM said:

This is what Ewers is looking at when he starts his windup on the Sanders TD up the seam.  He has already set his feet and the throwing motion has begun.  The decision to throw this pass was made a little earlier when he set his feet a fraction of a second before this.  Many QB's will wait until Sanders is at least even with the defender before uncorking, but that would allow the safety to help over the top.  Sanders appears to be on the 22 yard line at this point in time. 

Ewers1.thumb.png.ef592d0e7dd6507dc6011a30680ef444.png  

this video of the throw is somehow even more incredible in my eyes

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

And that is a consequence of the things hes shown to do better: reads, confidence, decision making, etc, which is on the mental side.

He's had more success because of those attributes, not because he's dragging a cannon onto the field. 

How many deep balls has he shown this season?

Cards “cannon” has caused incompletions on short throws. Is it possible that one knows how to use his arm talent and the other does not?

I hear what you’re saying, but think you’re missing a few things. Ewers isn’t often stepping into his throws - qb school guy pointed it out many times - and yet the ball is still flying off his hand. He can flick the ball and get great velocity. There haven’t been many attempts where he has needed to.

One of the few attempts I can remember where he added to the throw was the long throw to Worthy against Bama. Seemed ok to me

ULM missed - first at 7:24. ~55 of air, overthrow and if you watch his feet…still not having to plant and drive it (bounces right before release).

12:33 is interesting as well - still not set and flicks it with quite a bit of zip.

16:00 - out of the endzone at anoint 45 yards 

16:45 - poor placement laterally, still in front of receiver from 55 yards. Still not really driving through his base - arm and rotation to get it out.

it’s an interesting hill to die on…basically arguing against what made ewers a 1.000 rated recruit (arm talent). The questions around Quinn were if all that talent would translate to good quarterbacking. But yeah…card clearly has him beat here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

That particular throw was money.  Hudson can make some great throws too. 

I'm talking about the totality of his 67 attempts - or did we just memoryhole easy misses like the slamdunk to whittington? - doesn't show as much separation from Hudson. 

What did, obviously and consistently, was his poise in the pocket.  That aspect of his game vs Hudson is incomparable.

some of the throws that show his arm talent weren’t the big ones. it’s the way he can effortlessly flick the ball accurately without setting his feet that is very, very rare. aaron rodgers type shit.  it’s impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, Codaxx said:

They quantified it as a passer. That is why Stroud was the only QB over him, also Bryce is hurt. I think Babers said “you can argue Caleb is a better football player, but he isn’t a better passer”

Caleb reminds me of Manziel where he can just run around and throw up passes and luckily his receivers are good enough to come down with it.

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He hasn't uncorked one deep recently, which may have some morons talking about showing a lack of arm. 

Last Saturday he threw one from around the 35 to worthy a step out of the end zone. That’s…45 yards and it’s not like he put a ton of effort in to get it there. 

it’s not often a qb throws a ball on time that goes 60 yards in the air. 

I think he shows off his arm on these medium routes to Whitt that get there quickly. 

the one he missed to whit in the end zone had some mustard on it. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Card never showed that kind of anticipation on a throw in a live game. There is a reason that JT has 3 catches down the seam in 8 quarters with Ewers and had none with Card as a QB. He missed an open Whit. He is going to miss some throws, even Brady and Brees missed throws. He throws a much better deep ball, than Card. Going into the West Virginia game Card was rated the worst deep ball passer in the Big 12. The deep out to Worthy in the Bama game was an NFL throw, that few college Qbs can make. It is a throw that most college defense will not bother to cover, because so few teams will even attempt it at this level.

This.  There aren’t 5 guys in the NFL who can throw a 20 yard out from the opposite hash against what I am assuming (because it was against Bama) is an NFL caliber cornerback.

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Last Saturday he threw one from around the 35 to worthy a step out of the end zone. That’s…45 yards and it’s not like he put a ton of effort in to get it there.  

With 30 seconds left in the first half he threw one from the 46-47 yard line 8 yards deep into the end zone in a nearly perfect spot. This was the PI against Worthy. He did a weird hop on that throw but it was a very good deep ball. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

And that is a consequence of the things hes shown to do better: reads, confidence, decision making, etc, which is on the mental side.

He's had more success because of those attributes, not because he's dragging a cannon onto the field. 

How many deep balls has he shown this season?

@Dahobbs was correct.  He only throws as hard as he needs to, which is what you want from a QB.  S

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

There is a video of him in HS throwing one 85 yards. I don't care if that was wind aided or not, that is a long way to throw a football.

I wanted them to throw a Hail Mary at the end of the half against ou when they let Bijan pad his stats on the last play.  Just to see how far he could throw it.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

@Dahobbs was correct.  He only throws as hard as he needs to, which is what you want from a QB.  S

Andrew Luck was like this as well.  He threw as hard as needed but many people, including Phil Simms, thought he didn't have a very strong arm.  Ironic as Chris had a fairly strong, though not elite arm.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Andrew Luck was like this as well.  He threw as hard as needed but many people, including Phil Simms, thought he didn't have a very strong arm.  Ironic as Chris had a fairly strong, though not elite arm.

Chris threw short passes too hard and too flat.  His arm was pretty overrated.  We have three guys on the team right now with stronger arms than Simms.

30 minutes ago, El Tri said:

she was standing right in front us, in front of bevo under the goalposts. In a stadium full of hotties, she was the cream of the crop

She's a Southlake girl - hence natural connection to Quinn.  She's a senior and was on the field as a Bevo handler date (Spurs).  I've also known her since she was 8-9 - grew up with my Son.    Hence I'm trying not to read the comments too closely....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

She's a Southlake girl - hence natural connection to Quinn.  She's a senior and was on the field as a Bevo handler date (Spurs).  I've also known her since she was 8-9 - grew up with my Son.    Hence I'm trying not to read the comments too closely....

I would have pegged her for mid twenties. Pure smoke that one.

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

PFF absolutely tracks the stat in the NFL. Not sure if they do for college. @Hiphopopotamos

PFF calls them 'TWP' or Turnover Worthy Plays.  These include both passes that should be intercepted or when a QB is 'careless with the ball'

Quinn is tied for 7th among Power 5 QB's in TWP% (percentage of total plays that are considered turnover worthy)

image.thumb.png.de76a5e76ae4e634aef097c0411bfdcd.png

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, RabidM said:

This is what Ewers is looking at when he starts his windup on the Sanders TD up the seam.  He has already set his feet and the throwing motion has begun.  The decision to throw this pass was made a little earlier when he set his feet a fraction of a second before this.  Many QB's will wait until Sanders is at least even with the defender before uncorking, but that would allow the safety to help over the top.  Sanders appears to be on the 22 yard line at this point in time. 

Ewers1.thumb.png.ef592d0e7dd6507dc6011a30680ef444.png  

Klatt raves about this play and breaks down some other plays as well.

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

PFF calls them 'TWP' or Turnover Worthy Plays.  These include both passes that should be intercepted or when a QB is 'careless with the ball'

Quinn is tied for 7th among Power 5 QB's in TWP% (percentage of total plays that are considered turnover worthy)

image.thumb.png.de76a5e76ae4e634aef097c0411bfdcd.png

well shit fire, I stand corrected lol. Was the pass to bijan that they completed considered a TWP? The pass that he dropped just over a defender that was completed to sanders? A good DB probably makes a play on both those balls. I'm curious, who leads the NFL in TWP? 

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet