Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

I'm fully in the "Quinn is gonna be fine" camp.

Skipping his senior football season was idiotic in terms of becoming a good player. He's playing as essentially a true freshman with even more limited experience than a normal true freshman. He's playing a really tough schedule. He's got a young line in front of him. He's 19.

Playing like dogshit right now, sure, but this is what we bargained for when we started all these freshmen. It's not an excuse, it's just reality. Sometimes you get lucky and the true freshman QB looks like a superstar from the beginning and never falters, but that's rare.

6-4 with two tough games left. Let's see.

• Hook 'Em 6

I did not like the "looks" of the way he got here, at all.  Commit, decommit, portal, big bucks.

But I am pollyannaish about the "amateurism" of the sport of CFB, all college sports, really.

Except for the rich part, basically all of the "coddled, never had to work for it" criticisms or projections lodged above apply to just about any 5-star player at any position.  I'm not aware of anyone that has criticized his work ethic, but maybe that's coming.

The "calm demeanor" is interesting, though.  Not sure I've ever seen that before.  He's either a moron or so reasonable he's way ahead of us./The Stone Boy.

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sometimes you get lucky and the true freshman QB looks like a superstar from the beginning and never falters, but that's rare.

I’m in the middle. Everyone has bad games. Colt had them, Major had them, Vince even had two. But neither of them ever stopped leading their offense, and for that matter neither did Case McCoy, Sam Ellinger, or Shane Beuchele. My issue wasn’t Quinn’s passing. My issue was that he looked lost and was looking for somebody to rescue him, like Garret Gilbert or David Ash. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m in the middle. Everyone has bad games. Colt had them, Major had them, Vince even had two. But neither of them ever stopped leading their offense, and for that matter neither did Case McCoy, Sam Ellinger, or Shane Beuchele. My issue wasn’t Quinn’s passing. My issue was that he looked lost and was looking for somebody to rescue him, like Garret Gilbert or David Ash. 

That's just his natural affect.  It's kind of bizarre.  I didn't see much of the OU game, but I'd bet he had the same basic expression and body language then.  Certainly true of the other wins where he's done well to ok.

I read a profile on him from high school, and it basically said/implied that's the way he is, not a fiery guy.  He really seems to be The Stone Boy.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, futureman said:

this isn’t said enough.  he did look like everything we hoped he would be for a brief shining moment and then he looked like shit.  maybe he is playing hurt or something. 

It’s almost like teams finally had some film on him to work with after a couple games and started figuring him out. And Sark doesn’t know how to adjust to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Quinn has all the talent and the ability but he needs to stop throwing deep to worthy.   I can't tell if the ball is over or underthrown or if worthy is loafing non-loafing.   He threw to Sanders deep and was a little high but sanders could have caught it, he did catch it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

wide open receivers all over the field?

Yes Sanders, Whittington, and Worthy are routinely open. The QB can't get them the ball. Hell Bijan was wide ass open on an easy TD play but QB1 had decided to throw to Sanders. There is nothing wrong with the scheme. The problem is at QB.

• Like 1

I'm fully in the "Quinn is gonna be fine" camp.
Skipping his senior football season was idiotic in terms of becoming a good player. He's playing as essentially a true freshman with even more limited experience than a normal true freshman. He's playing a really tough schedule. He's got a young line in front of him. He's 19.
Playing like dogshit right now, sure, but this is what we bargained for when we started all these freshmen. It's not an excuse, it's just reality. Sometimes you get lucky and the true freshman QB looks like a superstar from the beginning and never falters, but that's rare.
6-4 with two tough games left. Let's see.

Yeah, I’d get that but you would hope to see flashes from Ewers at this point and I can’t really think of any from last night or Ok State. They were just awful games, two of the worst I’ve seen a Texas QB have.

10 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Yes Sanders, Whittington, and Worthy are routinely open. The QB can't get them the ball. Hell Bijan was wide ass open on an easy TD play but QB1 had decided to throw to Sanders. There is nothing wrong with the scheme. The problem is at QB.

no one on this team is routinely open

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah. His body language was terrible in the second half last night (I did not catch the first half). You can theoretically improve mechanics, reads, all that. The armtalent is obviously there. But wat you describe is more intrinsic.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah. His body language was terrible in the second half last night (I did not catch the first half). You can theoretically improve mechanics, reads, all that. The armtalent is obviously there. But wat you describe is more intrinsic.

we definitely have some terrible body language guys. Billingsley looks like he hates football and did the same at Bama, Quinn has no body language at all, Worthy in the tunnel before the game when Sark was firing them up. fucking shit I get you don't have to be a rah rah guy but at least act like you care.

Ewers needs to stop throwing deep 10-12 times per game. He and Worthy don’t have chemistry or whatever. Feed Whittington, Sanders and RB’s more and pull out the deep ball as a change of pace. Instead, he overthrows Worthy by about 5 yards every time and stalls a drive when we run for 2 yards, then throw an incomplete deep ball and are sitting there at 3 and 8 every single drive 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Ewers needs to stop throwing deep 10-12 times per game. He and Worthy don’t have chemistry or whatever. Feed Whittington, Sanders and RB’s more and pull out the deep ball as a change of pace. Instead, he overthrows Worthy by about 5 yards every time and stalls a drive when we run for 2 yards, then throw an incomplete deep ball and are sitting there at 3 and 8 every single drive 

10-12 seems like a stretch

Just now, utexas8 said:

How is his footwork this bad. He’s rich, he’s been trained by a personal trainer since HS I’m sure.

Maybe he doesn’t put in the work

because he's gotten by on arm talent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know nothing about football but is this on Ewers or sark or both? Why are they giving him options for deep balls, is he not progressing through his reads?

That interception I was thinking there’s 2 defenders guarding worthy why did he choose him. Surely someone has to be open. I’m surprised it was intercepted he usually overthrows them.

I actually don’t mind his personality and I don’t think it should be the measuring stick on if he really is trying his hardest or not. Ewers looks the same way when we were killing OU and sucking ass against okie st/tcu. Some guys just don’t like to be the out spoken rah rah guy, which is fine. The problem that I have is with his laziness and lack of urgency. The Iowa st backwards pass, the not paying attention to the snaps at okie st, and then last night with the snap  and nonchalant recover. That shit is pure laziness, and unacceptable imo. 

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I know nothing about football but is this on Ewers or sark or both? Why are they giving him options for deep balls, is he not progressing through his reads?

That interception I was thinking there’s 2 defenders guarding worthy why did he choose him. Surely someone has to be open. I’m surprised it was intercepted he usually overthrows them.

Sometimes physically talented QBs are also stupid and get told to throw to their first read or else throw it away, and they still can’t follow those instructions. 

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

some of us have been trashing his footwork from the start, we knew it would catch up to him.

I was in that camp, but I let it slide because he made some great throws.  I guess our coaching staff did too and failed at their job.  

Why would Arch want to come here again?  

I think they are trying to "develop" Quinn instead of letting him be Quinn and we are seeing the results of that. 

These don't look like the throws he would naturally choose to make like early in the season. Early on he had a quick release and adjusted his throwing motion to the throw he was making. They are probably trying to shove what they think down his head instead of letting him just go make plays. 

I will also say that our receivers have dropped more passes from Quinn than I can ever remember. A Lot of quinns throws are very catchable and end up on the grass. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I think Quinn has all the talent and the ability but he needs to stop throwing deep to worthy.   I can't tell if the ball is over or underthrown or if worthy is loafing non-loafing.   He threw to Sanders deep and was a little high but sanders could have caught it, he did catch it.   

It reminds me of Dak Prescott's early years with Dez as his main option. Dez was a talent, and was certainly worth the target defenses put on him, but after a while it felt like his laser-focus on Dez would kill drives and kill the offense. Once forced pass to Dez where he looked at no other receiver would put you in a hole early on downs, then you'd lose a possession, then look like shit for a game because you did that 4-5 times on the day. Dumping it off to Beasley (Whittington) for 6-7 yards or Witten for a short gain (Sanders) would open up the defense, open up the run game, and open up your first option receiver. But you got a guy who wants to force it instead. 

Just now, immamac said:

I think they are trying to "develop" Quinn instead of letting him be Quinn and we are seeing the results of that. 

These don't look like the throws he would naturally choose to make like early in the season. Early on he had a quick release and adjusted his throwing motion to the throw he was making. They are probably trying to shove what they think down his head instead of letting him just go make plays. 

I will also say that our receivers have dropped more passes from Quinn than I can ever remember. A Lot of quinns throws are very catchable and end up on the grass. 

I'm much more disappointed with Xavier Worthy than I am with Quinn Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, futureman said:

because Mac Jones was a 1st-round pick.

I'd put much of that on Saban and Bama.  Sark has definitely worked with some great QBs - maybe they were already great by the time they got to him.  The QB play under him here has been total shit and looks like it's getting worse.  

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

I also think those drops have an outsize influence on his state of mind. I think he’s well aware of the struggles he has had recently and, being a freshman, lost a lot of confidence after the consecutive drops by Worthy and Sanders in the 1Q. We really need our receivers to help him out and they did anything but last night.

3 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Imagine if it had been Quinn last year starting on the road vs Arky with that crowd and energy holy fucking shit.  If any fan of college football is wondering what a QB actively shitting down both legs looks like, we're seeing it with Ewers this season.  

Quinn throws a lot a balls away, it wouldn't have been as bad as Card standing there frozen.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Quinn throws a lot a balls away, it wouldn't have been as bad as Card standing there frozen.

That's his way of shitting down his leg.  It's cowardice and mental freezing, and vs Arky he would have taken as many or more sacks.  I'm not saying Card had anything defensible of his performance, but shit, Quinn isn't an "unflappable" guy, he's a fake it till you make it type that sees his first pass broken up and nearly picked and then every pass afterward is an abomination downstream of his scared shitless reaction.  The overthrows, throwaways, and off balance deliveries happen because he's fucking scared

5 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

That's his way of shitting down his leg.  It's cowardice and mental freezing, and vs Arky he would have taken as many or more sacks.  I'm not saying Card had anything defensible of his performance, but shit, Quinn isn't an "unflappable" guy, he's a fake it till you make it type that sees his first pass broken up and nearly picked and then every pass afterward is an abomination downstream of his scared shitless reaction.  The overthrows, throwaways, and off balance deliveries happen because he's fucking scared

scared shitless was Card vs Arkansas, throwing balls away isn't cowardice. for fuck's sake this is the dumbest take yet. congrats

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

He's a 19? year old kid, you should all be ashamed of yourselves,  the light will come on.

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Y’all seem to forget he’s a freshman. Let him take time to develop and learn. He’ll be better next year. 

i hate these lazy ass takes with zero substance to support their argument which states that quinn is obviously going to just turn it on in the future. based on what? his star ranking? because the guy is terrible. i have literally never seen a QB with worse footwork at Texas. not even remotely close. what at all leads you to believe that quinn ewers is going ever be good enough tj start at Texas? 

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet