Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

That was the best game Sark called b/c he didn't try to force it with Quinn. Whether it was the wind or QE3 just being garbage it didn't matter. Sark took it into account and didn't try to make the kid try to win it. Hopefully we can build his confidence in practice and we can get back to completing passes beyond the line of scrimmage next week.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

That was the best game Sark called b/c he didn't try to force it with Quinn. Whether it was the wind or QE3 just being garbage it didn't matter. Sark took it into account and didn't try to make the kid try to win it. Hopefully we can build his confidence in practice and we can get back to completing passes beyond the line of scrimmage next week.

Yes it was a much better plan than chunking bombs to no one all day
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Quinn is a feel player, he's not technical. When feel players get off, they get way off and need time to get it back - they have to understand what went awry, rep it away, burn the new feel into muscle memory, and then they're back to good. That's a time consuming process that a football season isn't going to allow for. He needs the offseason to figure this out. 

I'm not ready to write him off long term but I'm not expecting anything for the rest of this season.

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Quinn is a feel player, he's not technical. When feel players get off, they get way off and need time to get it back - they have to understand what went awry, rep it away, burn the new feel into muscle memory, and then they're back to good. That's a time consuming process that a football season isn't going to allow for. He needs the offseason to figure this out. 

I'm not ready to write him off long term but I'm not expecting anything for the rest of this season.

image.gif.a5aa05dce29fa4e1ce62f927fec33190.gif

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

yeah i'm not ready to write him off either, because i 100% believe that he has the physical tools to become a very good QB. however, i believe that the only way he can get there is to totally humble himself, and basically practice/study/play/live/breathe like a walk-on who desperately needs a scholarship. if he can do that he will probably fuck around and become a UT legend. still, at this point he's more than perriloux than he is vince young, and that perfect rating coming out of HS doesn't mean a thing anymore. he's got to realize where he is, and start from there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ATXhorn17 said:

With a more experienced OL and more receiving threats, I suspect Quinn will look a helluva lot better.

is this a joke that i'm not getting? our O line has been way better than i thought it would be coming into the year, and Quinn has had plenty of time in the pocket with regularity throughout the season. as for his weapons, he's only got the best player in the country standing next to him, the best RB room in America, and then worthy, whittington, and sanders to throw the ball to. you could win a national championship with our skill players. but uh, sure, let's keep blaming everyone around quinn for the fact that he's bad.

• Hook 'Em 4

Quinn will heal and learn for another 9 months and be a pretty good qb next year.    Expecting anything much better this year is folly.   Him being a high draft pick at the end of next year is hard to picture given his footwork, his inability to read defenses and he can’t work through his progressions.    Simply too much to fix in just one year.  Everything might click by his senior year if he commits to his craft. 

6 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

He doesn’t give off any vibes that he’s a D1 QB at this point, lackadaisical, shit mechanics. Maybe he’ll get it or maybe he won’t, thank goodness we have Malik and that Manning kid in the wings.

What sucks is he makes some impressive throws. He has the tools. But just shits the bed otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

is this a joke that i'm not getting? our O line has been way better than i thought it would be coming into the year, and Quinn has had plenty of time in the pocket with regularity throughout the season. as for his weapons, he's only got the best player in the country standing next to him, the best RB room in America, and then worthy, whittington, and sanders to throw the ball to. you could win a national championship with our skill players. but uh, sure, let's keep blaming everyone around quinn for the fact that he's bad.

No shit. All he needs is Bama level talent at the other 10 positions and then he will start looking serviceably mediocre instead of mashed dog turds. 

For the past 12 years, I flip through CUSA, MAC, AAC, whatever games on odd nights of the week and see gutsy, passionate former 2 or 3 star QBs balling out and wonder why the fuck we can’t find one of these guys (in parallel) while we fuck around after 5 star drama boys and/or guys that play like 8th graders. Does Texas give shitty QBs too much time before writing them off and moving to the next man? If dudes have it, they usually show a lot of signs early mixed in with mistakes. VY, Colt, and Sam all showed more than a flash or two as freshmen. Even David Ash and Shane Buechele showed a lot more than we’ve seen from Ewers. 

11 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Quinn will heal and learn for another 9 months and be a pretty good qb next year.    Expecting anything much better this year is folly.   Him being a high draft pick at the end of next year is hard to picture given his footwork, his inability to read defenses and he can’t work through his progressions.    Simply too much to fix in just one year.  Everything might click by his senior year if he commits to his craft. 

Back in normal times, we just kind of understood that this is exactly how shit works. We used to understand that starting a 19yo quarterback was bad because 19yo quarterbacks aren't ready to dominate complex, high-speed, elite D1 play.

We would want guys to redshirt, then play backup to upperclassmen so that they could learn all this shit out of the spotlight.

But here, if a 19yo sucks, he's doomed forever. And we'll just look to the next 19yo.

lol

• Hook 'Em 6

He had 2 passes over 20 air yards today, the completion to Whittington and deep ball to Worthy that was well thrown but not hauled in. This was an awful game for him to try to get back on track, and the game script was not favorable for passing once we got up big. Cold and windy.

He made several good throws, converted some key third downs, tuck and ran smartly a few times and had no turnovers. Let’s move onto next week. Not saying it was super impressive but it wasn’t some awful performance. His real development, if it comes, is going to be this offseason. Anyone expecting some light switch to flick on at this point between games is wishcasting. The flashes are there, the consistency will need to be what comes next.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 9

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

How bout pulling some game film and watching our center and both our guards block this season.  Ewers doesn't have plenty of time, especially on up the middle pass rushes and there isn't a ton of separation by our receiving weapons.  Bijan is crazy good but a lot of his awesome runs are more him then our great run blocking. The interior OL has been abused consistently in almost every game.  That shitastic blocking by them is part of the reason our offense has been so inconsistent to non existent in a lot of games.  You can also add in Worthy and other receivers dropping a lot of balls/running wrong routes and also Ewers struggling with throws and his reads.  You could also add in Sark with some crappy play calling at times.  Ewers isn't a surprise as he is playing his first year of college football so the struggles are kind of expected and I do think he will be better next year.  I also think the OL will be better next year which will be one of the reasons Ewers plays better.    

• Hook 'Em 6

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet