Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

29 minutes ago, Atticus said:

And Caleb Williams has leadership qualities along with freakish athletic gifts. He was also surrounded by pretty good talent and a strong OL.

You could tell Caleb elevated that team though. I think Quinn has that potential and I like the fact that he's getting more engaged emotionally, but it's long way to go to get to where CW is right now. He's got all the same distractions as Quinn too.

Point was simply that Caleb was not dominant as a freshman QB. Defenses adjusted latter in the Big 12 schedule and forced him to do things that weren’t in his wheel house. I don’t get into things like leadership abilities on a freshmen, because I have no idea. I heard Studdard talking about Colt. Colt was a great leader later in his career, but Studdard told a story about how he would tell him to STFU in the huddle and they were running this play.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In 2007, Texas went 10-3 and McCoy completed 65% of passes for 3300 yards, 22 TDs, 18 INTs. Is this a valid defense of Ewers looking like shit this year in spite of having Worthy, Bijan, et al.?

VY, Colt, Sam (limiting just to unquestionably good UT QBs this century) may not have dominated as freshmen, but they made plenty “wow” statement plays. What is Quinn’s statement, two or three first quarter completions against Bama? I am not rooting against Ewers, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar that he’ll lead us to the CFP. In high school he had unparalleled arm talent, but I never saw him find and throw to a second read. He often had wide open WRs as well. His technique is poor, and Sark’s Monday pressers and game decisions (never pulling him) make you wonder if Sark realizes it or is trying to do anything to fix it. 

Coming into the Kansas game I believe Ewers was leading the Big 12 is Big time throws according to PFF. I saw a poster say that and since it is was on the internet, I assume it to be fact 

Just hope there is an actual QB competition next year. Quinn hasn’t shown enough to be coronated as the auto starter next season. Hope he wins out since he will have experience but as of now it looks like Sark is tying his career to Quinn and will run him out there no matter how bad he plays.

Why do so many people incorrectly say that Ewers hasn’t played football in two years? He started for Southlake Carroll in 2020. They lost in the state finals against Westlake in January 2021. He redshirted for 1 year at Ohio State and has started for us this year. 

He didn’t play for one year, not two. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Coming into the Kansas game I believe Ewers was leading the Big 12 is Big time throws according to PFF. I saw a poster say that and since it is was on the internet, I assume it to be fact 

I’ve seen the stat on Ewers so I’d bet it’s right. But that’s somewhat subjective. He probably also ranks high in turnover worthy plays. So those together would make sense.

9 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Why do so many people incorrectly say that Ewers hasn’t played football in two years? He started for Southlake Carroll in 2020. They lost in the state finals against Westlake in January 2021. He redshirted for 1 year at Ohio State and has started for us this year. 

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Haha 1

People are overreacting a bit. He's looked shitty lately but so did Sam, Buechele, and VY at times as freshmen. I vaguely remember Buechele starting off hot and fading down the stretch as well. He has looked really good at times over the season though. I bet he'll look a lot better next year with an improved group at receiver and OL and another offseason under his belt. If not, Arch or Maalik will take over.

Edited by Bevo14

I know we are all new to this concept called development since this is the first time in forever it’s happening in this program, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Quinn Ewers will develop this offseason and be much better next year. Another year in the system, better understanding of what defenses are doing to him, will be fully recovered from the shoulder/trust it 100%.

I’m old enough to remember when all these concerns were mentioned in August during camp but it was dismissed by those who said it was never an actual QB completion.

He’ll be fine. Comparing him to other QB’s at other schools or previous Texas teams is stupid. Every situation is different.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

People are overreacting a bit. He's looked shitty lately but so did Sam, Buechele, and VY at times as freshmen. I vaguely remember Buechele starting off hot and fading down the stretch as well. He has looked really good at times over the season though. I bet he'll look a lot better next year with an improved group at receiver and OL and another offseason under his belt. If not, Arch or Maalik will take over.

The problem Buechele, and to a lesser extent Ehlinger, had was a porous OL.  Ewers suffers from some of the same, but his quick release masks the problem to some extent and probably also makes him inaccurate.

• Like 1

I think his development will be inversely proportional to how fat his face looks next fall. If he still looks like a chipmunk, I'm pressing the panic button. Will hold off for now, despite the terrifying realization that Ewers will end his first season with a worse completion percentage than Garret Gilbert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I think his development will be inversely proportional to how fat his face looks next fall. If he still looks like a chipmunk, I'm pressing the panic button. Will hold off for now, despite the terrifying realization that Ewers will end his first season with a worse completion percentage than Garret Gilbert.

I don’t want to find that funny, but I do. He needs to get on a serious diet and training plan. Shed that baby fat, lean up, get scronger. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, the guys making excuses for him also say he’s a true freshman.

At this point I don’t give a flying fuck if this was the first time he ever played football.  You’re a 5 star 1.000 rated QB basically 20 games into your college career 11 of which you have started. 2 years of D1 college coaching. Practice and workouts and every week you get worse and worse. It’s either mental or coaching. I’m deferring to it’s mental.  

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I think he’s skittish as hell. Terrified of injuring that shoulder again and the issue is all between his ears. The kid has the physical abilities

I saw one play yesterday where the rusher blasted Quinn in the chest after he had already thrown the ball.  Some refs would have called roughing the passer.  I'm sure defenders will continue hitting him there because of his previous injury.

This off-season Quinn needs to continue bulking up more to protect his body better. Hopefully he gains more strength and confidence at playing the QB position in CFB.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

it's interesting how literally none of the defenses of QE in this thread have anything to do specifically with QE or his play. nobody can make a case for him that's actually based on what we've seen of him. it's all just, "geez guys, he's a freshman, he's going to develop, he's going to get better." what an insincere, lazy take, that's not based on any reality involving QE and what he's shown at the college level.

QB is the most demanding position in all of sports, and playing it at the highest level requires mastery of so many different facets both physical and mental. QE is miles away from even being adequate in all of these departments- foot work, throwing motion, accuracy, knowledge/mastery of the offense, ability to read defenses, ability to go through progressions, ability to scramble, ability to improvise, ability to lead, and on and on, and the kid is *terrible* at all if it. if he were a running back he'd be 5'7", 320 lbs, running a 6.3 forty with his belly hanging out of his jersey, and nobody would be saying, "he's just a freshman, he just needs time." they'd just be like, "wow, this guy is very very very far away from being good enough to start for Texas." 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

At this point I don’t give a flying fuck if this was the first time he ever played football.  You’re a 5 star 1.000 rated QB basically 20 games into your college career 11 of which you have started. 2 years of D1 college coaching. Practice and workouts and every week you get worse and worse. It’s either mental or coaching. I’m deferring to it’s mental.  

How much coaching and practice reps you think he was getting at Ohio State as a 4th stringer who arrived 2 days before fall camp and got covid during the season?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I used to feel some kind of sorry for the guy but now I think he intentionally tries to fuck up threads.

LOL. well the feeling is mutual if it makes you feel any better. because i absolutely feel sorry for people who a)can't see what's right in front of them, and then n)absolutely melt down when someone doesn't blindly slurp every UT player who you like. 

here's me, watching you guys melt down while reading my posts, only to turn around and claim that i'm the one having a meltdown:

keep up the great work guys. delusions and whining- that should be the new name of the football board.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

How much coaching and practice reps you think he was getting at Ohio State as a 4th stringer who arrived 2 days before fall camp and got covid during the season?

how much practice and coaching does a 20 year old need to be able to a)run an offense with more than one read, and b)not throw every single pass like he's drunk and on a boat?

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

how much practice and coaching does a 20 year old need to be able to a)run an offense with more than one read, and b)not throw every single pass like he's drunk and on a boat?

He is 19.

And if you think learning a college offense is easy then I don’t know what to tell you. There’s a reason you rarely see first year freshman starting at P5 schools.

His time at Ohio State was a complete waste. He wasn’t getting coaching, he was 4th string, he wasn’t getting practice reps or 1 v 1 film time, he was sick, he checked out mentally and it was a waste of 4 months. Now, that was his choice and he is living with the consequences. 

I would be more concerned if we didn’t see any of what made him a 5 star, but we have. Even the last few weeks there have been 1 or 2 throws every game that are impressive. 

He will be okay. Development isn’t linear. He missed 4 games. The bowl practices are going to be really good for him.

• Hook 'Em 4

I’m more concerned with the fact that it doesn’t look like his mechanics have improved at all throughout the season. I don’t get how Milwee and Sark can watch his film & not spend every week addressing the fact that every single pass he throws comes flat-footed (or falling away) and his balls sail with this “flick of the wrist” throwing motion he’s got going on. You watch Caleb Williams at USC zipping balls into contested spots down the field and all of Quinn’s balls just hang in the air despite his alleged arm strength. When do you ever see him just climb the pocket and step into a throw?

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Bodowned said:

I’m more concerned with the fact that it doesn’t look like his mechanics have improved at all throughout the season. I don’t get how Milwee and Sark can watch his film & not spend every week addressing the fact that every single pass he throws comes flat-footed (or falling away) and his balls sail with this “flick of the wrist” throwing motion he’s got going on. You watch Caleb Williams at USC zipping balls into contested spots down the field and all of Quinn’s balls just hang in the air despite his alleged arm strength. When do you ever see him just climb the pocket and step into a throw?

Limited sample size, but he looked much smoother in the pocket yesterday and stepping into his throws. His few hiccups came in the screen game when he was just trying to get the ball out as fast as possible.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He is 19.

And if you think learning a college offense is easy then I don’t know what to tell you. There’s a reason you rarely see first year freshman starting at P5 schools.

His time at Ohio State was a complete waste. He wasn’t getting coaching, he was 4th string, he wasn’t getting practice reps or 1 v 1 film time, he was sick, he checked out mentally and it was a waste of 4 months. Now, that was his choice and he is living with the consequences. 

I would be more concerned if we didn’t see any of what made him a 5 star, but we have. Even the last few weeks there have been 1 or 2 throws every game that are impressive. 

He will be okay. Development isn’t linear. He missed 4 games. The bowl practices are going to be really good for him.

we are running an offense that tiny parochial high schools run. we hid quinn ewers yesterday, kept him as uninvolved in the offense as possible. and when we did let him throw, we gave him one, maybe two reads. and when he did throw the ball, it was his usual array of wobbly, lofted, inaccurate passes which are a result of his terrible mechanics. except for the blown screen to whittington. that one wasn't lofted or overthrown, it was just terrible and indefensible, as was Quinn's typically terrible body language after the throw.

all of these arguments are so disingenuous. none of them based on our specific qb and our specific situation. "freshmen need time", or "learning a college offense is hard". nothing specific to quinn ewers, just lazy, repeatable platitudes that don't address our actual situation. but again, that's only because you can't honestly defend QE or project him to be great when you base your takes on him and his actual play. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He didn’t participate in fall camp much, if at all. He had to go through COVID protocol when he arrived at OSU. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's only because you can't honestly defend QE or project him to be great when you base your takes on him and his actual play.

I am not defending shit. I am the one who just said that many of things this board tried to dismiss as false in August turned out to be true.

And yeah, his actual play this year has shown us he can be special. Wanna know what the #1 ingredient for consistency is? Experience. He was never going to throw for 300 yards and 4 TD’s every game and expectations got out of whack the moment he did that to OU. He also isn’t the QB he was against TCU. The truth is always in the middle and I’m gonna bet that is what we see the last 2 games heading into the offseason.

my experience on this thread is hilarious, and telling. whenever i participate in this thread, i end up checking my notifications every 20 minutes or so, and it always goes like this:

Six people just gave you pos rep on your post about quinn ewers. Five people just quoted those same posts to angrily talk shit to/about you. 

what that tells me is that there's a whole bunch of people out there who are on the same page as me, they just don't have any desire to step into this hypersensitive echo chamber and take all of the angry, whiny responses to these fact based posts that don't blindly slurp UT's latest anointed golden boy. 

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

my experience on this thread is hilarious, and telling. whenever i participate in this thread, i end up checking my notifications every 20 minutes or so, and it always goes like this:

Six people just gave you pos rep on your post about quinn ewers. Five people just quoted those same posts to angrily talk shit to/about you. 

what that tells me is that there's a whole bunch of people out there who are on the same page as me, they just don't have any desire to step into this hypersensitive echo chamber and take all of the angry, whiny responses to these fact based posts that don't blindly slurp UT's latest anointed golden boy. 

Over the last 2 pages you have 15 posts, with a total of three positive reps one of which was from 6th street. Maybe you should have quit with the post that got the six pos reps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I don’t follow it that closely so when did he get to OSU? My point is that He has been in 2 college programs for well over a year and apparently not addressed his footwork or defensive studies.

He started at OSU late Aug/Sept.. essentially missed fall camp. It was the worst kept secret he was leaving by October. He has been in College a little over a year, but the OSU time was pretty  much a waste. He got some individual time in practice and mostly scout time, which is pretty much a waste. Defensive coaches run it and the offense runs plays off a card of the opposition. 

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

A couple of months? I thought he left HS a year early and enrolled at OSU and was there until he decided to go to Texas.

Call it Sept to Dec. couple of Months is a lot closer to accurate, than 1 year 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Put me in the against column, hoping you'll STFU. QE looked to professionals all over college football like a fucking generational talent before and after he got hurt. Then he fell apart for a game and has struggled mightily since. The jury is still out.

For the loyal Ewers defenders saying the expectations are too high because he is a freshman/19 and the season at OSU should count for nothing, do y’all realize the expectations were set by Ewers? He left HS a year early so he could declare for the NFL draft a year early and catch an extra year of NIL money. Big money from Ohio State, then $1m+ in NIL from Texas. Can there be any better reasons for sky high expectations (or at least that he should be a top 5 freshman k. D1) than all that behavior on top of the 1.000 5 star rating?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

For the loyal Ewers defenders saying the expectations are too high because he is a freshman/19 and the season at OSU should count for nothing, do y’all realize the expectations were set by Ewers? He left HS a year early so he could declare for the NFL draft a year early and catch an extra year of NIL money. Big money from Ohio State, then $1m+ in NIL from Texas. Can there be any better reasons for sky high expectations (or at least that he should be a top 5 freshman k. D1) than all that behavior on top of the 1.000 5 star rating?

What the fuck are you talking about? Fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

His earning potential doesn't change anything.

The best modern college QBs were not great as freshmen...

VY, Tebow

Rogers, Cam, Mayfield, Kyler (were transfers who did nothing until they were juniors)

I don't care what the money looks like. 19 is 19. He may end up great. He may flame out. 

He didn't set that expectation. He got paid by those with expectations that he could help them sell products or win games.

He's the best freshmen QB we've had in a long time.

R.E.L.A.X. Honey Bunny

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet