Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, that's the extent of his problems. he's awesome. once his teammates stop sabotaging him he'll never miss another wide open receiver. 

Every QB misses receivers, otherwise we wouldn't have a completion percentage would we? Quarterbacks don't play well when we have guys coming unabated. Especially freshmen quarterbacks. Who knew? If you are paying attention you can see that the kid gets the ball out quickly. He is pretty accurate on the intermediate to short stuff. Yesterday he had a solid game outside a couple plays, the strip sack and safety. Both were plays where he could've made better decisions. However, both were also plays where we completely missed blocks, causing him instantaneous pressure. He threw for 200 yards at a 75% clip, which shows he is only really struggling throwing downfield as well as throws under duress.

In 06, behind VY's line, freshman Colt had a 162 efficiency rating, and threw only 7 picks vs 29 TDs . The very next year with a line that busted protection on the reg Colt had a 139 efficiency rating, and threw 18 picks vs 22 TDs. We were all ready to strangle him. Protection matters. Thank goodness for J Charles. 

Ewers has a ton of stuff to work on, but the number one thing that's going to make him better is us not busting protections because we are a year more experienced across the offensive line. That will allow him to settle down, which right now he is playing too frantic. Imagine throwing a ball in less than 2 seconds and still getting hit. That has happened to him time and time again. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

In 06, behind VY's line, freshman Colt had a 162 efficiency rating, and threw only 7 picks vs 29 TDs . The very next year with a line that busted protection on the reg Colt had a 139 efficiency rating, and threw 18 picks vs 22 TDs. We were all ready to strangle him.

Sophmore Colt McCoy attempted 100+ more passes that year (33% increase), and complimented his offensive output with nearly 500 rushing yards. 

Nobody wanted to strangle him. 

36 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

God damn this thread. He took a big step forward in accuracy and confidence today. After the Sanders ball and the throw away safety, two balls hit the ground all day.

Yeah, aside from the safety, blindly taking the sacks, and the fumble, dude was something like 12-16 for 190 and a rushing score. That’s not horrible.

I saw Major Applewhite play worse than that with one of the two guys I’m ready to say is a better back in Texas history in the backfield and Major turned out to be a Longhorn Legend.

Edited by lilMAC25

8 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

You're an expert at misremembering what you've said so I'm going to help you out:

image.thumb.png.6e5850e24c8b8bad0f1f50e6785aad92.png

Sam didn't throw for 5,000 yards. He threw for 11,000.

image.thumb.png.db699a53549d0c8863e431d0daeb0ec6.png

Not the greatest deep ball we've ever seen but am pretty confident there aren't any JV quarterbacks starting games in the NFL.

image.thumb.png.6069f90d916d2aa7d65bfe9fc15196e0.png

image.thumb.png.5fb22cfcf074a63e5be9d632cb960b26.png

image.thumb.png.86aeb8202c44b0ec7875d28cd3935684.png

image.thumb.png.baa1b56a66e2584187119a63da41a412.png

image.thumb.png.e7632ca1abb8c31998e3612ba8e4a003.png

So you never said he was bad? Just erratic? 

Awkward Dead Body GIF by Mister Bismuth

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The notion Chiles Should Starts began as a meme and stayed a meme. I dont remember it being a legitimate rallying cry. 

Yeah, I’m not talking about the meme. I’m taking about actual discussion. I remember being at games that years and hearing people yell to put Chiles in.

• Hook 'Em 1

I do think Ewers can improve. It’s up to him to put the work in. He would need to make a huge leap though to keep up with his recruiting ranking. It’s okay if he doesn’t live up to it just as long as he’s serviceable for us at this point. There have been flashes of his rating especially at the beginning of the year.

To me, I don’t see a future Caleb Williams, Bryce young, Trevor Lawrence, cj stroud, Justin fields etc.. not saying it can’t happen but he will need to make a huge leap.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Sophmore Colt McCoy attempted 100+ more passes that year (33% increase), and complimented his offensive output with nearly 500 rushing yards. 

Nobody wanted to strangle him. 

49 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

There was a vocal contingent who wanted to replace him with true freshman John Chiles.

This is correct. But the whole point is that Colt had regressed due to a horrible offensive line. Pressure works and makes qbs look bad. I am not sure people realize how bad our offensive line has been at protecting the quarterback. We are seeing 5 or more times a game that that rushers are coming completely unblocked this year. What's alarming about it is not only are they NOT blitzing most of the time, but this is JAGS that are doing this, not some all American at Georgia. This is some dude that plays for KU or Baylor getting to the QB untouched from a 3 or 4 man rush. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Yeah, aside from the safety, blindly taking the sacks, and the fumble, dude was something like 12-16 for 190 and a rushing score. That’s not horrible.

I saw Major Applewhite play worse than that with one of the two guys I’m ready to say is a better back in Texas history in the backfield and Major turned out to be a Longhorn Legend.

There is no doubt Aranda confused Quinn and the OL at times yesterday. The safety is a great example. Baylor fakes double A gap blitz and ILBs drop. Quinn probably thinks the blitz is off, watching the ILBs drop.  He doesn’t see the double edge blitzes. Aranda said he would come after Quinn and look to muddy his reads. He is a pretty good defensive mind, so it shouldn’t be a surprise he got some young players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He’s personally responsible for 8 of Baylor’s points. I wish he were as passionate about his own godawful play as his teammates mistakes.

Both of those were on Sark.

1st overly aggressive playcall that resulted in safety. Didnt seem like Ewers had any outlets. And we all know Ewers is slow with progressions.

2nd sack fumble and score was a cute playcall with a fake to Worthy in the flat, which is fine by Baylor. When that wasnt there, Ewers was too slow processing. In any case, Baylor is too well coached to fall for shit like that. They’re not selling out to defend Worthy catching the ball stationary in the flat.

Caveat to that is if Baylor had no safety help and Ewers still refused to pull the trigger to Worthy. I watched the game from home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Yes the rare show inside blitz and blitz off the edge. The most exotic of all looks. Never seen since the 1999 Baltimore Ravens used to do it. 

I never said it isn’t run, but it isn’t an easy read. There is a reason that for 2 seasons that the offense has been reliant on staying ahead of the chains. Put young or mediocre QBs/OLs in obvious down and distances and bad things happen, especially vs a DC like Aranda. The OL and Quinn both failed to recognize it. Hell, even Rojo did not recognize it. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

The notion Chiles Should Starts began as a meme and stayed a meme. I dont remember it being a legitimate rallying cry. 

Colt had a noticeable sophomore slump. Vince and Sam had forgettable freshmen years. Let's not rewrite the history to push a narrative. Quinn played a lot better yesterday, so we probably should celebrate progress just like we are celebrating progress of our defense. Early on in the season everyone wanted PK gone and now the defense has become a strength of this team. Sometimes patience can pay off.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Freshman passing stats:

Sam Ehlinger:  0.57%, 12.1 ypc, 11 TD, 7 INT, 212.8 ypg

Quinn Ewers:  0.57%, 12.8 ypc, 14 TD, 6 INT, 200.9 ypg

Yeah, Quinn has no upside.

Now do rushing yards and rushing TD’s. Sam had shit talent and coaching around him as a freshman. I don’t know how anyone can objectively look at the last month of Ewers and be optimistic.

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Now do rushing yards and rushing TD’s. Sam had shit talent and coaching around him as a freshman. I don’t know how anyone can objectively look at the last month of Ewers and be optimistic.

I'm not particularly optimistic, but I understand that true freshmen QBs (which is effectively what Quinn is, at least in age) struggle in live fire.  I expect him to get better.

And, if he doesn't, we'll have Arch Manning and Malik Murphy on campus, assuming Malik doesn't portal.  I fully expect us to be better at QB next year, and we'll have a better offensive line to play behind, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

This is correct. But the whole point is that Colt had regressed due to a horrible offensive line. Pressure works and makes qbs look bad. I am not sure people realize how bad our offensive line has been at protecting the quarterback. We are seeing 5 or more times a game that that rushers are coming completely unblocked this year. What's alarming about it is not only are they NOT blitzing most of the time, but this is JAGS that are doing this, not some all American at Georgia. This is some dude that plays for KU or Baylor getting to the QB untouched from a 3 or 4 man rush. 

Colt also regressed because Texas didn’t use him as a run threat. He didn’t have to be a feature like VY, just use him enough to keep the D honest. 

When Chiles came in for a dinged up Colt for a few plays against Nebraska (or was it OkSt?) and got a carry on a zone read it changed everything. It opened up running lanes for Charles and then Colt got a carry on the same play call as well. Suddenly, the lanes were there.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

When Chiles came in for a dinged up Colt for a few plays against Nebraska (or was it OkSt?) and got a carry on a zone read it changed everything. It opened up running lanes for Charles and then Colt got a carry on the same play call as well. Suddenly, the lanes were there.

It was the Nebraska game, I remember this clearly. As I recall, it all changed when Colt kept it on a ZR play and gained an easy 20 yards or so. Up to that point, Chiles would come in to run it, to the point where it became predictable. (At least, that’s how I remember it, could be wrong.) Once Colt finally began to keep, it opened everything and we all finally realized that Jamaal Charles was the best player in college football. 

(Still one of my favorite games I’ve attended; goddamn I loved watching JC run the ball. 200+ in the 4th Q lol.)

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Colt also regressed because Texas didn’t use him as a run threat. He didn’t have to be a feature like VY, just use him enough to keep the D honest. 

The real problem was that we had graduated the badasses on the line and that was the beginning of the shitty line recruits that has lasted up until present day. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The real problem was that we had graduated the badasses on the line and that was the beginning of the shitty line recruits that has lasted up until present day. 

That wasn’t a great line like the previous one, but it wasn’t shitty like we’ve had for the past decade or so.

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Yeah, I’m not talking about the meme. I’m taking about actual discussion. I remember being at games that years and hearing people yell to put Chiles in.

I heard people in the stands blame Gene Chizik for our offensive play calling that year too so maybe don’t put much stock in random people in the stands.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

That wasn’t a great line like the previous one, but it wasn’t shitty like we’ve had for the past decade or so.

That line struggled. There were a couple good pieces then there was guys like Chris Hall. If you remember Charles used to run for 200 yards all on two or 3 runs after running into a stone wall for 3 quarters.

23 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It was the Nebraska game, I remember this clearly. As I recall, it all changed when Colt kept it on a ZR play and gained an easy 20 yards or so. Up to that point, Chiles would come in to run it, to the point where it became predictable. (At least, that’s how I remember it, could be wrong.) Once Colt finally began to keep, it opened everything and we all finally realized that Jamaal Charles was the best player in college football. 

(Still one of my favorite games I’ve attended; goddamn I loved watching JC run the ball. 200+ in the 4th Q lol.)

That’s the game I was at when a fan blamed Gene Chizik for the offense lol. 

Colt had a noticeable sophomore slump. Vince and Sam had forgettable freshmen years. Let's not rewrite the history to push a narrative. Quinn played a lot better yesterday, so we probably should celebrate progress just like we are celebrating progress of our defense. Early on in the season everyone wanted PK gone and now the defense has become a strength of this team. Sometimes patience can pay off.

I seem to recall many of those interceptions were spiked at the LOS while the o-line didn’t get a hand on the defensive linemen. But I could be wrong.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I heard people in the stands blame Gene Chizik for our offensive play calling that year too so maybe don’t put much stock in random people in the stands.

lulz.

My season tix used to be in the cheap seats, west side upper deck.  We were directly in front of this older gentleman who spoke in a very thick Asian accent.  He would shoult "go for the turnover" EVERY snap when we were on defense.  It became a running joke in that part of the stands, and eventually we all started yelling it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

If he cuts the stupid ass mullet tomorrow and starts to prepare and work like a Manning he'd be a Heisman finalist next year. 

Is Arch an early enroll guy? 

Based on…?

If you removed the context of his HS rating and the hype he came in with, he looks like complete trash out there…as bad as anyone we’ve had behind center during these lost years.

45 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I didn’t say they knew anything. That’s kind of the point.

And it wasn’t just there, it was on shaggy. Which, again, consider the source. But still-it was absolutely a thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If he cuts the stupid ass mullet tomorrow and starts to prepare and work like a Manning he'd be a Heisman finalist next year. 

It might seem dumb, but it is not a ridiculous notion that such a move might effect positive change. Cut the hair as a symbolic break from the HS/NIL hotshot period of his life. That crazy kid couldn't cut it at this level. Time for a more mature Mr. Ewers to emerge over the offseason, both in attitude and performance. Want to sport a mullet as a high-profile D1 QB? Earn it. Show you can handle the business end first, THEN let it grow and party all you want. Otherwise, you're just Joe Dirt in a Sonic commercial.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Holy shit you people. 

Go find stats from the best 10, 20, 30 or whatever
college QB’s you can find. Put all their true freshman years in a composite and I would give serious odds that Quinns line this year looks a lot

like that composite line. What you will mostly find is almost none of those guys played as true freshmen, and the few that did didn’t light the world on fire. I guess Quinn isn’t technically a true freshman because the world has changed, but he’s a 19 year old that had 2 snaps in the last 18 months and didn’t go through a season at UT watching how it works, learning system, coaches and players etc.

Does this mean Quinn will be great?  Of course not. But he’s done nothing to demonstrate he doesn’t have a ton of talent. 

If you can’t watch his first quarter against a Bama and see all the requisite skills are there to be really good you don’t understand anything about the QB position. 

he’s played with a mostly shitty offensive line (pass blocking wise), one actual game breaker at receiver (who is 5’8” 160 pounds), and likely nursing an injury that is sent going to be fully healthy until after the season. 

Now, if you want to say that styling himself like Joe Dirt, bring an introvert and probably a weirdo, and bouncing around college commitments, quitting on his high school teammates and then transferring in a 16 month period, all chasing NIL money that was always going to be there anyway is a serious red flag I’m not going to argue and I do wonder if that will be warning signs that show he won’t be committed to improving his craft the way all the greats do. 
But yeah, the idea that his performance this season is some huge red flag that he’s never going to get it in the future is reactionary regarded bullshit. 

I’d like to think I know a thing or two about bad QB play having witnessed the past 13 years.

His body of work this year was garbage. Can he improve? Of course.

He has an arm. But does he have anything else that’s required to be a great QB? I guess we’ll find out.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Holy shit you people. 

Go find stats from the best 10, 20, 30 or whatever college QB’s you can find. Put all their true freshman years in a composite and I would give serious odds that Quinns line this year looks a lot like that composite line.

I randomly picked Carson Palmer out of a hat.  Here are his redshirt freshman stats:  55.3%, 1755 yards, 7 TD, 6 INT

So, kinda like Quinn, although Quinn has a significantly better TD/INT ratio.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 5

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet