Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, new era. 

Kyler Murray.  Heisman Trophy winner.  Freshman year:  59.5%, 686 yards, 5 TD, 7 INT

Lamar Jackson.  Heisman Trophy winner.  Freshman year:  54.7%, 1840 yards, 12 TD, 8 INT

I mean, when will you see that Quinn is pretty similar to all kinds of guys who ended up being great but started out kinda rough?

If I remember right, while he was at OSU, due to the QBs they had on campus, the true freshmen QBs had minimal practice workouts, and Ewers had even less because he was one of the scout team's QBs.  This was one of the main reason he transfered after that year.

Ewers came into a new system, without playing or even having a lot of practice in the prior two years. He might as well be a true freshman with two years of inactivity from his last HS game and his first College game.

it has not been pretty at times. But at times, it's effortless for him. I get the feel he expected more out of himself and tried to shoulder the team, but it didn't work out that way. Throws he made 2 years ago consistently, were off this year, which had/has him thinking about the throw too much and it shows. When the receiver is open, it's almost as if he's in the pocket praying "please be a good throw, please be a good throw", and we've seen how it goes. But then other times, especially when he spots someone open he didn't expect, he does his wrist flick without a second thought and nails a dime, effortlessly.

He's been up and down for sure, and it hasn't been pretty. A lot of it has been on him, but there's been plenty of times when the receivers haven't done him any favors, added to an O-line that's had it's share of breakdowns.  Yes he could've played a little better... Or he could've played worse.  It's possible he's still banged up. I remember Colt's sophomore year, his shoulder caused issues with accuracy and under throwing the deeper routes.

I think Ewers will be okay next year.  He did leave the door open for competition with Arch though, so if I'm mistaken, we have another top QB recruit to lean on.   

Training camp is going to be interesting next year.

we've had plenty of O lines worse than this one. our recent o line history is what's putrid. Kelvin Banks is the best lineman we've had for some time, and both of our QBs got plenty of clean pockets to drop back into throughout the season, whereas in seasons past )i'm having flashbacks to 2009) it seemed like our QB was running for his life every single down. our current O line isn't really good, but it's definitely better than a few other recent lines that we've had.

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we've had plenty of O lines worse than this one. our recent o line history is what's putrid. Kelvin Banks is the best lineman we've had for some time, and both of our QBs got plenty of clean pockets to drop back into throughout the season, whereas in seasons past )i'm having flashbacks to 2009) it seemed like our QB was running for his life every single down. our current O line isn't really good, but it's definitely better than a few other recent lines that we've had.

I wont engage with you after this but your an idiot that knows nothing about football.   Our O line sucked this year especially at pass blocking.  There were not clean pockets all season long and there were a lot of plays and I mean a lot that the line got blown up or missed assignments where Ewers or Card had no play but to throw it away or get sacked or rush a pass.  Ewers chucked the ball away as quick as he could because he didnt get clean pockets. Claiming this o line is better than other past ones is like saying you are the tallest midget (if that is politically incorrect, sorry I’m old).  Yes, we have had bad o lines the past decade dating back to Mack’s last years.  The only difference in this line is there was some young talent that hopefully develops over the next year or so to be really good. I’m high on Banks and Campbell as really talented freshman that will get a lot better.  By the way, having a great left tackle and not great other 4 lineman doesn’t make a offensive line good.  Your left tackle can take out the edge rusher all day long but if the rest of the line is getting blown up or missing assignments your offense will suck.  

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I wont engage with you after this but your an idiot that knows nothing about football.   Our O line sucked this year especially at pass blocking.  There were not clean pockets all season long and there were a lot of plays and I mean a lot that the line got blown up or missed assignments where Ewers or Card had no play but to throw it away or get sacked or rush a pass.  Ewers chucked the ball away as quick as he could because he didnt get clean pockets. Claiming this o line is better than other past ones is like saying you are the tallest midget (if that is politically incorrect, sorry I’m old).  Yes, we have had bad o lines the past decade dating back to Mack’s last years.  The only difference in this line is there was some young talent that hopefully develops over the next year or so to be really good. I’m high on Banks and Campbell as really talented freshman that will get a lot better.  By the way, having a great left tackle and not great other 4 lineman doesn’t make a offensive line good.  Your left tackle can take out the edge rusher all day long but if the rest of the line is getting blown up or missing assignments your offense will suck.  

The worst kind of pressure is interior pressure because the QB has nowhere to go. I am not sure I have ever seen a Texas line give up so many unblocked pressures up the middle of the line. We were terrible vs that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

You guys arguing with Derka are like a bunch of freshmen QBs who will never learn to not engage with Derka. All of you need to portal out of here

For real. Can't we all just agree to ignore the guy? I have him on ignore and don't respond to him even when he literally makes and uploads a video to YouTube mentioning me by name. Or makes 10-20 posts calling me all sorts of names.

He's a clown. Just ignore him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

For real. Can't we all just agree to ignore the guy? I have him on ignore and don't respond to him even when he literally makes and uploads a video to YouTube mentioning me by name. Or makes 10-20 posts calling me all sorts of names.

He's a clown. Just ignore him. 

It’s settled then!

By decree, we shall ignore him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Monahorns said:

The OL this year was bad versus DL stunts.  That should be fixed by coaching.  Next year you should see an obvious improvement.  If not, we are back to the drawing board.  This year we had Freshmen playing.  That excuse is gone in 2023.

The safety is a prime example. Texas has 3 on the right side to block 2 defenders. DE loops inside. Jones follows him and Hutson and Jones end up doubling him. Rojo takes off like a bat out of hell worried about the double A gap blitz. Baylor fakes that and brings double edge pressure. Rojo is now out of position. The OLB now has a free run. It was a nice defensive concept 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

The safety is a prime example. Texas has 3 on the right side to block 2 defenders. DE loops inside. Jones follows him and Hutson and Jones end up doubling him. Rojo takes off like a bat out of hell worried about the double A gap blitz. Baylor fakes that and brings double edge pressure. Rojo is now out of position. The OLB now has a free run. It was a nice defensive concept 

You forgot to say that Ewers sucks!!!!

QE was an unseasoned qb behind a developing line that got better at run blocking than pass blocking as the year progressed.  His two biggest issues seem to be a) poor pocket instincts when strong pressure occurs,  and b) over reliance on a very strong arm rather than mechanics (ie footwork).  When he sets and throws he's one of the most accurate QBs we've had in a very long time.  When he's on the move flipping the ball it's iffy.  When he's in pure scramble mode  it's awful.  He's was really good before he got hurt,  seems like he got happy feet/gun shy and/or the coaches beat on him about the early game interceptions and told him to throw high,  cause he threw everything high for a couple games straight,  but seemed to have found some of his previous form vs BU which I take as a good sign.  Interesting to see how he looks in Bowl game.    

TLDR:  He's probably going to be above average next year esp if the line improves pass blocking/stunt pick ups. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

LOL unfortunately I know he's like herpes...he keeps coming back no matter how hard you try to get rid of him

LOL, you seek me out on a regular basis, when i literally never ever ever bring your name up or address you at all otherwise. and now you're in here bringing my name up again, in multiple posts, all while swearing that the exact opposite of that is what happens. the levels of self delusion from some of you are shocking. 

"hey everyone, why don't you just all over ore derka like i do?!?!"

a few moments later...

"and ANOTHER thing about derka..."

Edited by shadow_operative

I would ask for @Thatguy or anyone else in here to rank our O Lines from 2009 through this season. because the truth is that we've had 3, 4, even 5 O lines in the past dozen years or so that were clearly worse than this one. this "bit our O line is so bad!" is just the excuse du jour.

first xavier was the scapegoat; now everyone is on the "blame it all on the O line" train. so go ahead and put into context where this supposedly all time bad O line ranks among our recent run of godawful O lines, please and thank you.

then, explain to the rest of us how it's the O line's fault that QE made so many terrible back foot and/or off balance passes with a clean pocket this season. how all of those wide open overthrows were the fault of someone else. again, please and thank you.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I would ask for @Thatguy or anyone else in here to tank our O Lines from 2009 through this season. be a use the truth is that we've had 3, 4, even 5 O lines in the past dozen years or so that were clearly worse than this one. 

first xavier was the scapegoat; now everyone is on the "blame it all on the O line" train. so go ahead and put into context where this supposedly all time bad O line ranks among our recent run of godawful O lines, please and thank you.

then, explain to the rest of us how it's the O line's fault that QE made so many terrible back foot and/or off balance passes with a clean pocket this season. again, please and thank you.

Our tackles were good....our center was average, our guards were bad most all season.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our tackles were good....our center was average, our guards were bad most all season.

and that's a lot better than you can say for, i dunno, like half the o lines we've had over the last dozen or so years. 

remember- one of Hudson Card's big issues was repeatedly holding onto the ball too long. name the last time that Sam or Colt even had that luxury.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and that's a lot better than you can say fir, i dunno, like half the o lines we've had over the last dozen or so years. 

remember- one of Hudson Card's big issues was repeatedly holding onto the ball too long. name the last time that Sam or Colt even had that luxury.

Card behind this offensive line had double the sacks in far fewer games, so yes Card does hold the ball too long. Quinn generally tends to throw away before being sacked.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, immamac said:

Man I need to write a remind plugin for the forum software. Lmao. 

you want to come back here in one year to re-check that Quinn Ewers wasn't good this season? what's going to happen in the future that's going to change that reality? again, he could win three heismans and go 37-0 from here on out and it wouldn't change anything about who he is today or how he's played this season. but uh, have fun setting that up. i know you can't wait to make this thread all about me if/when QE comes good. great plan. 👌🏼 

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Remember- one of Hudson Card's big issues was repeatedly holding onto the ball too long. name the last time that Sam or Colt even had that luxury.

And that's a reminder of how bad ass Colt was.  His Junior and Senior years were spent behind a Swiss Cheese Line with O RB help.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some random true freshmen quarterback stats, because lets be honest Quinn is essentially a true freshmen.

Quinn
image.png.913279778af84c9eeb2811b9e45f07c5.png

Sam
image.png.59e176b6710c19605b0c04e4b590557a.png

Peyton Manning
image.png.ba869e9821d5e46a916d79b8fec4f287.png

Dan Marino
image.png.c2eb78819fe34c0e3f104743cf72eb98.png

Just some fun recent Texas player and Hall of Fame QBs true freshmen seasons.

I'm not taking a side in the GOO -Surly War of 2022 but the college game is completely different from when Manning played, even more so than Marino.

The OL was not great this year especially against interior pass rushers.

The OL this year was maybe the best in the past 5 years and easily in the top half of the past ten years.

Both of those statements can be, and are, true. 

See also, Quinn ewers finished the season pretty rough after the promising start against Alabama; Quinn ewers is probably the best QB prospect to start for Texas since Colt left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I would ask for @Thatguy or anyone else in here to rank our O Lines from 2009 through this season. because the truth is that we've had 3, 4, even 5 O lines in the past dozen years or so that were clearly worse than this one. this "bit our O line is so bad!" is just the excuse du jour.

then, explain to the rest of us how it's the O line's fault that QE made so many terrible back foot and/or off balance passes with a clean pocket this season. how all of those wide open overthrows were the fault of someone else. again, please and thank you.

That's a hard question to answer for a few reasons. The first reason is it's hard to give an O-line a legitimate run blocking grade with Bijan behind it. Guard gets mauled but Bijan jump cuts around the penetration and gains 9. Chicken salad. What I will say is this. Quinn Ewers was sacked 5 times, and had guys come free another 3. Baylor was bringing 4 for the most part and confusing the O-line. That's like 8 line busts on 24 drop-backs. When I say line busts I mean guys coming free immediately at the snap. I don't know where 1/3 of your dropbacks you have a line bust ranks on the bad scale but that is the worst I can remember recently. Unless your QB is Lamar Jackson you are in trouble. 

You were asking about the back foot throws. Try rewatching the game and pay attention to where the interior is at the snap and where Majors and crew end up. Sometimes our LOS gets reset 5 yards back from the original. We are watching the game from a high camera angle but you have to keep in mind QE is throwing over guys 6'5. If they are 3 yards in front of you then stepping into throws isn't happening. 

Look, QE has his issues of course but he is a better QB than you think he is. His footwork is all over the place for sure. However, his real issues are he struggles when pressured, and he cannot hit WORTHY downfield. Not sure if you noticed but when not throwing to Worthy past 10 yards he is pretty damned accurate. He isn't the only one either. Card is struggling throwing the ball downfield as well. Check the numbers.  It's not just Quinn. We just don't call those throws a lot with Card but anything thrown at Worthy past 20 yards is in the tank. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet