Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

5 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

So.....you mean, bad.  Catching is pretty important.

Eh not necessarily. Jaydon Mickens and Jermaine Kearse were good Sark WRs that dropped big passes every other game. Still put up big numbers.

It wasn't until these players got to the league they consistently caught the ball though.

49 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You are really hung up on the dumbest things.  Does anyone other than you give a flying fuck about which high school he went to?  Proof?

uh, yes. quite obviously yes. as we've seen in the last couple of pages and countless other times on this board, the legend of sam ehlinger as a Texas qb FAR exceeds the reality of what he did at Texas, and it's 100% because of the HS he went to. if he was from some random HS in colorado then nobody here would still be talking about him as if he was some transcendent qb at Texas. people wanted him to be the man so badly from the time he committed that it blinded a huge portion of our fan base to reality, and completely clouded their judgment. as i've said, sam was just a modern applewhite or james brown, but he gets treated like he's just behind colt and VY. that's the Westlake/lifetime Longhorn effect.

with Ewers, it's the same thing. he was a 5* from a Texas HS powerhouse, so everyone here has been jizzing themselves about how great he will be at Texas since he was 16. people let their hopes and expectations severely cloud their judgment. if QE was a 3* recruit from Pflugerville HS then the perception of him around here would be wildly different. everyone would be clamoring for us to sign a big name transfer portal qb. but because QE was the anointed savior when he was 16-17 years old at SLC, well then it's just a given that everything is going to click and he's going to be great, no matter how many glaring flaws he has. 

this shit ain't hard to figure out dude.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude Manziel was a RS freshman, Winston didn’t play, you are essentially talking about Caleb Williams that came in ready to spit fire- and even then it took him 6 games to get the start and he looked like shit against us throwing when he got his first real opportunities. 
And- you are self selecting Heisman winners as the best of the best which even more shades the numbers. True freshmen are shit like 98% of the time.  RS freshmen suck like 80 or 90% of the time. 

Lol. "Go look at the great QBs!"

*Looks at Heisman winners*

"You're self-selecting!"

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is but disingenuous not to include Burrow on the improved list. He made a major jump from year 1 as a starter for LSU to year 2. You can say it was system related, but you can’t argue he didn’t improve 

He did, but was looking specifically at Freshman->Sophomore. Burrow's senior year was unworldly.

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

True freshmen are shit like 98% of the time.  RS freshmen suck like 80 or 90% of the time. 

I also don't think Ewers sucks. I will just be surprised if he turns elite based on what I've seen watching college football. I hope like hell I'm wrong. Light it up QE.

here's the other thing about QE's performance this year:

when you play as a QB for steve sarkisian, you succeed with flying colors. when you're the second-ever perfectly graded, 1.000 rated recruit (after only VY) and you play/practice/study under Sark, there's no two ways about it, expectations are (rightfully) sky high, and even as a redshirt freshman it's not unreasonable for fans to expect that you'll play well and show growth and improvement as the season progresses. all of this, "jeez guys, he's just a freshman" only goes so far when you're supposed to be the best QB since Vince Young and your HC is known as The QB Whisperer. it is absolutely fair to criticize QE for his mediocre, inconsistent, mechanically atrocious play for most of the season.

11 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

65% completion rate 370 yard games are not our standard.

If Worthy and Whittington could catch the fucking balls that hit them in the hands, he would have challenged Applewhite's bowl game record. I do find the irony that everyone was bitching in another thread about how shitty Cain was, and he was the best WR for Texas last night.

• Hook 'Em 4

uh, yes. quite obviously yes. as we've seen in the last couple of pages and countless other times on this board, the legend of sam ehlinger as a Texas qb FAR exceeds the reality of what he did at Texas, and it's 100% because of the HS he went to. if he was from some random HS in colorado then nobody here would still be talking about him as if he was some transcendent qb at Texas. people wanted him to be the man so badly from the time he committed that it blinded a huge portion of our fan base to reality, and completely clouded their judgment. as i've said, sam was just a modern applewhite or james brown, but he gets treated like he's just behind colt and VY. that's the Westlake/lifetime Longhorn effect.
with Ewers, it's the same thing. he was a 5* from a Texas HS powerhouse, so everyone here has been jizzing themselves about how great he will be at Texas since he was 16. people let their hopes and expectations severely cloud their judgment. if QE was a 3* recruit from Pflugerville HS then the perception of him around here would be wildly different. everyone would be clamoring for us to sign a big name transfer portal qb. but because QE was the anointed savior when he was 16-17 years old at SLC, well then it's just a given that everything is going to click and he's going to be great, no matter how many glaring flaws he has. 
this shit ain't hard to figure out dude.

Colt McCoy went to which big named high school?

I guess no one cares about him.

11 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I would agree with this take if he had showed any signs of progression from the beginning of the season. He literally regressed the entire year to the point where he became a liability we had to hide and he cost us multiple games. He could take a magical jump next year but all the signs point to that being very very unlikely. 

Holy shit, he regressed but had his best performance of the season since OU last night. You are a fucking moron. My guess is you were bitching about Jones, Sweat, and Coburn last year as well. The player that regressed the most on offense this season was Worthy.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

It seems like he never fully healed from the Alabama injury until tonight. I could see him having an all-conference type year next year.

Everyone glosses over this, there should be little doubt that he was playing through an injury the entire season. He looked so good against OU because they didn't hit him and he was fresh. When he started getting hit, his play deteriorated. He was likely 100% for this game because of the layoff.

This has been beaten to death, but Quinn is a RS FR in his first year in the system. If he sticks around long enough (upperclassman) and we protect him, he will ABSOLUTELY be a top 10 QB in CFB.

Example: Ehlinger was rage-inducing as a freshman. As an upperclassman, he single-handedly willed us to victory.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Everyone glosses over this, there should be little doubt that he was playing through an injury the entire season. He looked so good against OU because they didn't hit him and he was fresh. When he started getting hit, his play deteriorated. He was likely 100% for this game because of the layoff.

Well and OU was dogshit awful at an almost historic level. But yes, I never felt he got confidence back that he could withstand big hits. It seemed to affect his play which is understandable. I think he made some good strides last night. Ran the ball to get some yards when he had to. Threw it away instead of playing hero ball. I really hope Sark can find a good veteran WR in the portal. I'm not sure I like the idea of going into next season with Worthy and Cain as his best options. Sanders didn't get a lot of looks last night but I think he was doing a lot of pass blocking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well and OU was dogshit awful at an almost historic level. But yes, I never felt he got confidence back that he could withstand big hits. It seemed to affect his play which is understandable. I think he made some good strides last night. Ran the ball to get some yards when he had to. Threw it away instead of playing hero ball. I really hope Sark can find a good veteran WR in the portal. I'm not sure I like the idea of going into next season with Worthy and Cain as his best options. Sanders didn't get a lot of looks last night but I think he was doing a lot of pass blocking. 

Plus, there is no telling what Neyor can provide coming back from a torn ACL. I think we need 2 WRs independent of what Worthy does.

43 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

Eh not necessarily. Jaydon Mickens and Jermaine Kearse were good Sark WRs that dropped big passes every other game. Still put up big numbers.

It wasn't until these players got to the league they consistently caught the ball though.

Interesting.  In my recollection drops weren’t a big problem for Worthy before last night.  It was making adjustments to the ball in the air.  If it was put on him he reliably caught it earlier in the season and last year.   If it required an adjustment he was worse than average.  No awareness.   Maybe in the NFL he will be a bigger threat if he has a QB who can consistently drop it in the bucket.  I don’t see him all of a sudden making a lot of contested catches though. 

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Interesting.  In my recollection drops weren’t a big problem for Worthy before last night.  It was making adjustments to the ball in the air.  If it was put on him he reliably caught it earlier in the season and last year.   If it required an adjustment he was worse than average.  No awareness.   Maybe in the NFL he will be a bigger threat if he has a QB who can consistently drop it in the bucket.  I don’t see him all of a sudden making a lot of contested catches though. 

dude what??  worthy drops the ball all the fucking time.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Go watch the TCU game last year.

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yea , wasn’t his left collarbone tore off his sternum ? 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Maybe I just woke up with sunshine pumping out of my nads because I just am not that upset about last night. Ewers played well and that was the most important thing I needed to see last night to be optimistic about next year. He started out poorly and then recovered. Had better numbers than the #1 passer in the nation, had a dropped TD pass that would've had the game at least tied. He made good decisions, he played well on his feet, he made some good quick passes when the line was collapsing around him. That's the best he's played since OU unless I'm not remembering a better performance. 

last night doesn't really change my outlook on next year either.  i do wish brooks would have had a heavier workload though.  and it's obvious that the two biggest needs next year are help at receiver and rushing the passer.  hopefully the portal can address at least one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

last night doesn't really change my outlook on next year either.  i do wish brooks would have had a heavier workload though.  and it's obvious that the two biggest needs next year are help at receiver and rushing the passer.  hopefully the portal can address at least one of them.

Yes, not running the ball was an issue but I think that will sort itself out with spring and fall camps. We've seen that Brooks can be effective. Quinn was really the biggest concern and he responded well. That's why I'm not full of piss and vinegar. Agree on WR and rushing the passer. I did think we did a decent job of pressure on Penix. He wasn't comfortable. He doesn't get touched very often, regardless. But yes, we need a pass rusher in the worst way. 

• Hook 'Em 3

something I'd like to see from Quinn- although I have real doubts that he has this in him- is some type of fire, passion, competitive spirit, etc. So many of our favorite QBs from my lifetime possessed this quality, regardless of whether they were mediocre qb or an amazing qb. gardere, james brown, major, vince, colt, sam, they all showed a fire and a passion for playing hard, never giving up, and doing anything to win. quinn on the other hand has shown terrible body language, and is no kind of leader whatsoever. when things go poorly quinn slumps his shoulders, he looks sad and pouty, and he straight up looks like he'd rather be anywhere than on that football field during those moments. he was doing that stuff when we were down two scores to TCU as if we were down by 50. i was shocked. 

you're not going to win big at this level with a qb who gets visibly upset when things go wrong and who inspires no one. it's clear that many here think that I'm being way too hard on Quinn, or way too critical, but it's just that he has so many different areas where he needs improvement to become the qb that we need him to be, that i simply can't help but be doubtful that he's going to become that guy based on what i've seen from him this season. 

i was watching the 05 documentary last night, and it struck me how all of the complete and total badasses- B Rob, Mike Griff, Huff, Orakpo, Selvin, DT, Rod Wright, etc, how they all completely revered VY. it's a locker room full of total studs, and every single one of them was chomping at the bit to follow Vince Young into battle. i know Sam's teammates felt similarly about him, in regards to following their leader into battle. QE has so far to go to become a complete QB on the field, but even if he does, i have a very hard time seeing him becoming a leader, based on what i saw from him this year. so yeah, to me, this idea that he's automatically going to be a totally different player next year after one offseason is not something that i'm in agreement with. at the end of the day i hope i'm proven wrong.

38 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i was watching the 05 documentary last night, and it struck me how all of the complete and total badasses- B Rob, Mike Griff, Huff, Orakpo, Selvin, DT, Rod Wright, etc, how they all completely revered VY. it's a locker room full of total studs, and every single one of them was chomping at the bit to follow Vince Young into battle. i know Sam's teammates felt similarly about him, in regards to following their leader into battle. QE has so far to go to become a complete QB on the field, but even if he does, i have a very hard time seeing him becoming a leader, based on what i saw from him this year. so yeah, to me, this idea that he's automatically going to be a totally different player next year after one offseason is not something that i'm in agreement with. at the end of the day i hope i'm proven wrong.

Both VY and Sam could make plays with their legs when things broke down (as they often did).  This improvisation led to many successful plays and kept the defense off the field.  

I wish we could work in some designed runs for Ewers when the pocket keeps breaking down.  Get him out in space and see what he can make happen?  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Both VY and Sam could make plays with their legs when things broke down (as they often did).  This improvisation led to many successful plays and kept the defense off the field.  

I wish we could work in some designed runs for Ewers when the pocket keeps breaking down.  Get him out in space and see what he can make happen?  

Even 5 or 6 yard plays from that would be the difference between punting or not on a lot of drives. Just make sure he knows how to slide. Maybe the one thing most frustrating about Sarkisian is his “passers pass, runners run” viewpoint. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Maybe I just woke up with sunshine pumping out of my nads because I just am not that upset about last night. Ewers played well and that was the most important thing I needed to see last night to be optimistic about next year. He started out poorly and then recovered. Had better numbers than the #1 passer in the nation, had a dropped TD pass that would've had the game at least tied. He made good decisions, he played well on his feet, he made some good quick passes when the line was collapsing around him. That's the best he's played since OU unless I'm not remembering a better performance. I knew the doom and gloom would be out last night as this website is just a collection of miserable sacks of monkey shit that don't deserve an ounce of happiness in their jaded, pathetic lives. 

You aren't misremembering at all.  Good post....it was obvious that Ewers had done more preparation and studying the defense.    From what I've read, he realized that he needed to be better prepared and do more film study if he wanted to progress....If the rest of the team had done likewise, we probably would have a different result from last night's game.

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

You aren't misremembering at all.  Good post....it was obvious that Ewers had done more preparation and studying the defense.    From what I've read, he realized that he needed to be better prepared and do more film study if he wanted to progress....If the rest of the team had done likewise, we probably would have a different result from last night's game.

Can you explain why Brooks got the ball 6 times?

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

something I'd like to see from Quinn- although I have real doubts that he has this in him- is some type of fire, passion, competitive spirit, etc. So many of our favorite QBs from my lifetime possessed this quality, regardless of whether they were mediocre qb or an amazing qb. gardere, james brown, major, vince, colt, sam, they all showed a fire and a passion for playing hard, never giving up, and doing anything to win. quinn on the other hand has shown terrible body language, and is no kind of leader whatsoever. when things go poorly quinn slumps his shoulders, he looks sad and pouty, and he straight up looks like he'd rather be anywhere than on that football field during those moments. he was doing that stuff when we were down two scores to TCU as if we were down by 50. i was shocked. 

you're not going to win big at this level with a qb who gets visibly upset when things go wrong and who inspires no one. it's clear that many here think that I'm being way too hard on Quinn, or way too critical, but it's just that he has so many different areas where he needs improvement to become the qb that we need him to be, that i simply can't help but be doubtful that he's going to become that guy based on what i've seen from him this season. 

Just my two cents, but I don’t buy this. Quinn seemed pretty fired up when Worthy dropped the ball. 

I also work with 18-22 year-old collegiate students all day, and I haven’t had one male that was ready to get in the face of a senior as freshmen, especially when you imagine all those seniors are equally physically gifted. I’m sure those guys must exist, but the idea that superior physical traits and superior leadership exist together hasn’t been my experience. 

My guess is QE is gonna put up some mega numbers next year, and we are gonna get some “quiet leadership” game day stories. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

Just my two cents, but I don’t buy this. Quinn seemed pretty fired up when Worthy dropped the ball. 

I also work with 18-22 year-old collegiate students all day, and I haven’t had one male that was ready to get in the face of a senior as freshmen, especially when you imagine all those seniors are equally physically gifted. I’m sure those guys must exist, but the idea that superior physical traits and superior leadership exist together hasn’t been my experience. 

My guess is QE is gonna put up some mega numbers next year, and we are gonna get some “quiet leadership” game day stories. 

Don’t bother. I listened to Studdard in an interview talking about Colt’s freshmen year. He tamari’s Colt would occasionally make a call and the OL would tell him to STFU and they were going to run the ball. That didn’t mean Colt was a bad leader. It just meant Studdard was the alpha and it wasn’t Colt’s time to lead 

I’m going to shit all Quinn’s mental makeup and competitive spirit..but I hope he proves me wrong so I can post all of the great things about him and get attention. 

That is the Derka straddle. To. A. T.

something I'd like to see from Quinn- although I have real doubts that he has this in him- is some type of fire, passion, competitive spirit, etc. So many of our favorite QBs from my lifetime possessed this quality, regardless of whether they were mediocre qb or an amazing qb. gardere, james brown, major, vince, colt, sam, they all showed a fire and a passion for playing hard, never giving up, and doing anything to win. quinn on the other hand …

it's clear that many here think that I'm being way too hard on Quinn, or way too critical, but …(I’m sticking to my ignorant narrative despite all evidence to the contrary.)

You’re a real piece of shit work.

Comparing the equivalent of a true freshman who missed his Senior year of high school to 5 multi-year starting Seniors and VY is really a fair comparison.

Not one of them walked on the campus with the idea that I am the leader and this is my team.  I saw VY play 3 years in high school and there was no way he was ready to lead Texas as a true freshman.  I’m pretty sure fresh off the ranch young Colt did not have any illusions that he was the leader of the team and not VY.

I don’t recall too many freshman, if any, that came to Texas with the idea that they are “it.” Not Earl, not Ricky, not VY, not Quinn.

Quinn appears to be humble young man thankful for the opportunity to play at his dream school, especially given that Tom Herman almost doomed him to being a buckeye for life. He knows that missing his senior year of high school hurt him.

Now it's up to you, Charlie, but you might consider cuttin' the kid a little slack.”

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

You’re a real piece of shit work.

Comparing the equivalent of a true freshman who missed his Senior year of high school to 5 multi-year starting Seniors and VY is really a fair comparison.

Not one of them walked on the campus with the idea that I am the leader and this is my team.  I saw VY play 3 years in high school and there was no way he was ready to lead Texas as a true freshman.  I’m pretty sure fresh off the ranch young Colt did not have any illusions that he was the leader of the team and not VY.

I don’t recall too many freshman, if any, that came to Texas with the idea that they are “it.” Not Earl, not Ricky, not VY, not Quinn.

Quinn appears to be humble young man thankful for the opportunity to play at his dream school, especially given that Tom Herman almost doomed him to being a buckeye for life. He knows that missing his senior year of high school hurt him.

Now it's up to you, Charlie, but you might consider cuttin' the kid a little slack.”

when things go wrong his body language sucks, and the way he cratered against tcu, looking like a deer in the headlights in what was still a totally winnable game was shocking. if you think that commenting on these facts makes me an asshole there's nothing i can do about that, but just a reminder- this site and its predecessor were founded explicitly so that we could have discussions like this one. if you can't handle reading valid criticisms of our players then i think hornfans.com might be more your speed. 

42 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

he bailed on his HS team, he got last place in the QB battle at tOSU, he's shown poor body language and zero leadership when things have gotten tough here at Texas, and your natural conclusion is that by next season quinn ewers will be the strong, silent, lead by example type. yeah, that sounds about right.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

He did that a couple of times last night. He was hurt all year and missed valuable reps against some shitty teams that could have helped him later in the year. He was likely the healthiest he's been since the 1Q against Alabama. My guess is if he gets comfortable enough with the reads and progressions next year, we will see him scramble more when the reads aren't there. He picked up 2 big 1st downs running the ball.

I thought he had one of his better games last night, and that includes figuring out the deep ball after his first attempt was way too short. He will never be VY (or even Colt/Sam) when using his legs, but at least he did a little of that last night which was good to see.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

This off-season he should cut his hair, convert 15 lbs of fat into muscle, and focus more on improving as a QB and team leader and less on NIL endorsement opportunities. 

There’s irony that some of these sure fire first round picks that are pulling crazy NIL money might find themselves out of the first or second rounds entirely due to mediocre play in college because they stopped being hungry and grinding.   We’ve got two on our offense. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ousux said:

I thought he had one of his better games last night, and that includes figuring out the deep ball after his first attempt was way too short. He will never be VY (or even Colt/Sam) when using his legs, but at least he did a little of that last night which was good to see.

The problem wasn’t with Ewers last night , not saying he doesn’t have room for improvement but his effort was more than enough to win. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

he bailed on his HS team, he got last place in the QB battle at tOSU, he's shown poor body language and zero leadership when things have gotten tough here at Texas, and your natural conclusion is that by next season quinn ewers will be the strong, silent, lead by example type. yeah, that sounds about right.

Boy do I have some news for you- He went into a room of QB's that had already been there at least a year and knew the system. Of course he came in last, wtf? I like you as a poster, but this is some really, really stupid shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Boy do I have some news for you- He went into a room of QB's that had already been there at least a year and knew the system. Of course he came in last, wtf? I like you as a poster, but this is some really, really stupid shit. 

Wait, you like him as a poster?  You like Derka…as a poster?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

he was literally the second guy ever, after Vince Young nearly two decades prior, to get a perfect rating as a HS prospect. do you think that he, or anyone else with any affiliation to tOSU anticipated him coming squarely in dead last in their qb competition? absolutely not. the idea that he was always supposed to coke in dead last in a four person qb battle is ridiculous. 

so again- first he bailed on his HS team, then he got run out of tOSU because he wasn't anywhere close to being good enough (and that's with another HC who is a "qb whisperer"), then he had an underwhelming season at Texas where he showed poor character and zero leadership when times got tough. how can you look at the last 2-3 years of his football career and say, "yeah this guy  will be our team leader next year?" 

Edited by shadow_operative

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet