Game Week- Alabama

Wulaw Horn

I honestly don't know what to expect. There were flashes yesterday, but it's really difficult to get a read on how consistently we can execute. Even though they have more talent, I think we have the tools to hang with Bama. It's the mental toughness and discipline that are still unknowns, and if those are lacking the game will get out of hand very early. But if we have the right mindset and a bit of good fortune, I think the momentum will feed into an electric atmosphere, giving us a real shot at the upset.

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I think the momentum will feed into an electric atmosphere, giving us a real shot at the upset.

I’ve never been to an electric 11am kickoff, but I’m sure some of the olds probably remember an electric early game or two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

42-38 Texas. This is Quinns coming out party a la Sam against USC. I'm not wasting a first in generation home game groveling because we're supposed to lose. This game is for Colt and the entire 2009 team. 

Came here to post this. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

There were very few instances of Quinn hitting a receiver in stride yesterday.

you know, he had 18 months off to improve himself, and the funds for a high end qb coach. Did he have one ?

and a trainer ?

maybe spend less time on his mullet and beard. He looked like a 18 yo yesterday. I was hoping he’d look better / show some zip on that ball ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

you know, he had 18 months off to improve himself, and the funds for a high end qb coach ?

and a trainer ?

maybe spend less time on his mullet and beard. He looked like a 18 yo yesterday. I was hoping he’d look better / show some zip on that ball ?

He's 19 and was held back a year, you stupid fuck.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

I dont give a fuck about that game, because we arent rolling out Card at QB*. We have talent, we are playing at home, we need to fucking show up. I get QE is young, which is why I dont expect a win. But if he is truly a generational QB, he can start by showing it next week and playing solid. Giving Bama a competitive game isnt asking that much...Mullen, Jimbo, Coach O, Pittman, and Harsin were able to do it last year. 

* if QE gets injured we're fucked

Dude, it doesn’t matter who is at QB, RB, WR.  These games come down to who dominates the LOS.  It’s like that every time against ou.  We are at the wrong end of a severe mismatch from an experience stand point.  Next year will be a different story when our talented OL have a years worth of experience in games and S&C program.  I would love for Texas to come in and whip Bama and push their guys around but I’ve watched enough football to know that Will Anderson, Dallas Turner, and there’s one more dude on that DL are all first round picks…. One of whom is projected to go #1 overall in the draft.  Doesn’t matter what our schemes and play calls are when Jake Majors and Christian Jones get their shit pushed in.  These are the same dudes that couldn’t block the Kansas DL.  I hope I’m wrong.  Next year, we’re going to push their shit in in Tuscaloosa.  With all that said, I’ll be drunk next Saturday rooting for the horns win or lose.  Just happy college football is back and happy to see this team progress.

40 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Quinn doesn't have the option of not hitting on those deep balls this week. All his passes of over 20 yds were yac by the WR/TE. That ain't gonna get it done 

Speak for yourself………. I would gladly take 4+ consecutive passes that travel 3 yards in the air and 17 on the ground 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If the Brocks aren’t on the two-deep roster, will they travel to Austin with the team….or will Daddy pay their way here to watch their big brother play?

they probably watch the games in the stands and negative recruit us to our guest recruits watching the game..

Fuck The Brocks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

All I know is that I’m fucking jealous of y’all going next week. If my body hadn’t decided over the past year that it hates the sun, I would so be there. I want to believe that next week is the turning point in Texas Football. So I will. We win. 

wear long sleeves and a straw hat

• Hook 'Em 2

The only reason these people of Walmart, sister fucking, meth smoking hillbillies have a win against us is because Colt went down.

This is our house.

“Whoever they send, we’re gonna catch ‘em, we’re gonna cook ‘em and we’re gonna eat them!”

Fuck Bama, Fuck Saban and fuck Bear!

We’re gonna kick the fighting butt chins right in their dicks!

herm GIF

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-10-most-talented-teams-in-2022-192398636/#192398636_6

Edit - Its young, I get it. But its enough to play a competitive game against anyone. 

We're too young at critical positions to have an expectation like this. This is the kind of game that shows what kind of pups we have. Like Worthy doing what he did against OU last year. We need multiple guys to play at a level they havent shown in a game yet to keep this one close. 

There will be boneheaded plays from players trying too hard to make a play. Some of that Worthy PR shit last night won't work against Bama. They gotta coach em hard this week and hopefully the guys keep their composure Saturday morning.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I honestly don't know what to expect. There were flashes yesterday, but it's really difficult to get a read on how consistently we can execute. Even though they have more talent, I think we have the tools to hang with Bama. It's the mental toughness and discipline that are still unknowns, and if those are lacking the game will get out of hand very early. But if we have the right mindset and a bit of good fortune, I think the momentum will feed into an electric atmosphere, giving us a real shot at the upset.

Trenches are the linchpin, and particularly the OL. If they can hold up, there's a chance. But with two fish, Majors and Jones against seasoned vets of the best program in the country ... I guess hoping the electric atmosphere makes the difference is as good as anything to pin one's hopes on. The most important thing to me, is that they don't let single play defeats snowball. Fix mistakes, step up and beat them on the next play has to be the mentality.

If I were Sark, I'd preach some Darrel K. Royal to the players:

“The only place you can win a football game is on the field, the only place you can lose it is in your hearts.”

“Football doesn't build character. It eliminates the weak ones.”

“There is no such thing as defeat except when it comes from within. As long as a person doesn't admit he is defeated, he is not defeated-he's just a little behind and isn't through fighting.”

“Don't matter what they throw at us. Only angry people win football games.”

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wait, all that bluster and you’re willing to cede 2 scores?

Oh buttercup, reading comprehension isn’t a strength is it?

I’m not betting on a win. What I am betting on is a gritty, determined performance by The Horns. DMO, Bijan, Rojo, Jwhitt, Tsweat, etc are prideful players. They ride for the brand. This will be a game. We will be in it. That’s the bet hoss.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Trenches are the linchpin, and particularly the OL. If they can hold up, there's a chance. But with two fish, Majors and Jones against seasoned vets of the best program in the country ... I guess hoping the electric atmosphere makes the difference is as good as anything to pin one's hopes on. The most important thing to me, is that they don't let single play defeats snowball. Fix mistakes, step up and beat them on the next play has to be the mentality.

“The only place you can win a football game is on the field, the only place you can lose it is in your hearts.”

“There is no such thing as defeat except when it comes from within. As long as a person doesn't admit he is defeated, he is not defeated-he's just a little behind and isn't through fighting.”

Experience matters, especially for the line. That said, anything can happen any given Saturday, and being less experienced is no excuse for being outhustled or outexecuted, and if Sark is a good coach he won't accept that as an excuse.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

. I was hoping he’d look better / show some zip on that ball ?

Zip on the ball?  The deep passes that were over thrown were like a flick of the wrist with plenty of zip.  Definitely don’t think having zip on the ball is a issue with Ewers.  

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Yes , play angry, mophos!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

It's tough to get a read on this game because the strategy against Alabama is going to be completely different than ULM. 

There is no chance Sark is going to let this young OL block in pass pro as much as he did against ULM. Bijan and Roschon only had 15 carries combined and I expect that to be about 3x as many against Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Experience matters, especially for the line. That said, anything can happen any given Saturday, and being less experienced is no excuse for being outhustled or outexecuted, and if Sark is a good coach he won't accept that as an excuse.

Agreed. And my first comment only addressing the electric atmosphere somewhat shortchanged your original post. You were spot on about "mindset" and momentum.

• Hook 'Em 1