One Wheel

Atxracer

Does anyone over 15 have one on here?  My brother, who is 50, has one and raves about it and now kinda has me wanting one.  He came to visit this weekend and likes the thing so much he brought it with him and took several rides around the hood.

Is this part of a mid-life crisis for him, and possibly me, or are they actually fun after the initial newness wears off?

34 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Does anyone over 15 have one on here?  My brother, who is 50, has one and raves about it and now kinda has me wanting one.  He came to visit this weekend and likes the thing so much he brought it with him and took several rides around the hood.

Is this part of a mid-life crisis for him, and possibly me, or are they actually fun after the initial newness wears off?

We’ve got a guy in the hood who’s late 40’s, and looks like him and his wife do nothing but work out and play with their dogs (appears no kids). I see him running his two Weimaraners on it every couple of days.  I’m pretty sure I’d break my neck in 5 mins. 

1 minute ago, 936horn said:

My kids have one and every time I try to use it I almost break an ankle/leg/arm/neck. Meanwhile the kids ride circles around ole dad. 

Troof.  It took my kids about an hour to become competent on those hoverboards.  Next day or two and they are zipping around full speed, making cuts and jukes like Bijan.   

• Haha 1

I've got a buddy who has one. He is probably pushing 50 but is a sort of Kung Fu hippy. In fact, years ago we were shooting a really bad kung fu home movie, my job was to be the big bad guy who knocked him down. Took maybe ten takes, every time I hit him it was like running into a telephone pole.

So if he falls down, he probably breaks the pavement but is all mellow about it.

I have a buddy that has one and rips shit up on it.  He's probably ~46ish or so, but as recently as last year was still flipping across the wake on a wakeboard. 

I know my boundaries and won't even try it.  If you've got great balance then you'll probably enjoy it, if not then I'd save yourself the money and the broken wrists and skip it.

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Yeah, I am thinking this is a dumb idea.  I like doing 2 things while clothed, driving cars and playing golf.  Both of them require my hands not be broken from eating shit.  

That was pretty much my take on it as well.  I can't use a fly rod or a golf club if my wrists are furked.

I have a friend who is 56 and he has been ridding his for years.  He has some old man stuff going on with a hip replacement, former back surgery, and ACL surgery last year.  Not of that from the one wheel, so it can be done.

My middle son got one two Xmas's ago and he hardly ever uses it anymore.  Like everybody else's teenager, he mastered it in about 4 hours...taking it down stairs, 4' drops, ramp jumps etc.  Little fuckers.

My son promised me some lessons and I would like to learn how to ride it in a easy going manner just to keep some of the small balance muscles tuned up for other things etc.  I can never seem to be rid of little nagging injuries though.

On 9/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, texasdago said:

To me it looks like someone standing around and pretending they are being active.  

I’m guessing that it’s hard work, just like dirt biking is surprisingly strenuous. But if I’m doing something that requires a helmet it’s going to be riding a motorcycle.  

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

I’m guessing that it’s hard work, just like dirt biking is surprisingly strenuous. But if I’m doing something that requires a helmet it’s going to be riding a motorcycle.  

One of my college friends has a scar on his noggin from eating it on a one wheel - took a really nasty fall and split his head open.  I'm with you... either go with a motorcycle or just go get a cruiser skateboard and ride around or a mountain bike.  

I borrowed my buddies for a week and got competent at it to where I could ride super easy gravel trails and dick around. fun enough but got meh quick. And fucking up is sketchy mid 40s. I fucking hate these things when I'm mountain biking, so dusty, slow in the way and usually oblivious to others. So I also didn't want to be that dick.

Shredded my knee fucking around skating in March , so no fucking way I'm dicking with one wheels going forward. Surf, ski, snowboard will suffice. Two risky for me personally. Wear a good helmet. Maybe wrist protection, and have a board sport background if your older. They can be fun.

On 9/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, ajax said:

Faster (and safer) than a one wheel

Video title accurate, definitely scenic. 

Middle aged man I posted about upthread had complete wipeout in front of the moms waiting on school bus this last week.  Wife said it looked painful af and was full several roll ordeal. 

"Shredded my knee fucking around skating in March , so no fucking way I'm dicking with one wheels going forward. Surf, ski, snowboard will suffice. Two risky for me personally. Wear a good helmet. Maybe wrist protection, and have a board sport background if your older. They can be fun."

BINGO.  I care too much about skiing.

Bike - yes

Skateboard - carving yes, tricks no

One Wheel or Hoverboard?

Did I Just See You “Hardcode” a Salesforce ID? Aw, Hell No! – Jenwlee's  Salesforce Blog

Here in San Francisco on the weekends they have these big group rides of electric vehicles - bikes, scooters and unicycles. No Onewheels because they can't keep up. There used to be some Onewheels but those riders switched to get more speed.

Same thing happens in NYC, LA and other big cities.

Edited by ajax