Top Gun 2

Red Five

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Was it Jester or Viper that makes the speech at the beginning of the flight school session about how America's shoot-down rate went from great to mediocre between WWII to Vietnam because of reliance on missiles and they lost their dogfighting capabilities?  

I'm stuck wondering who the fuck we can even dogfight with anymore?  Is there some Iraqi or ISIS air force we don't know about?  The only sorties left to fly by manned aircraft are to drop bombs.  Top Gun 3 should just be Drones going to Flight School with some intermittent shots of fat Val and fat McGillis jello wrestling.  

I dunno, we're workshopping it.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Was it Jester or Viper that makes the speech at the beginning of the flight school session about how America's shoot-down rate went from great to mediocre between WWII to Vietnam because of reliance on missiles and they lost their dogfighting capabilities?  

I'm stuck wondering who the fuck we can even dogfight with anymore?  Is there some Iraqi or ISIS air force we don't know about?  The only sorties left to fly by manned aircraft are to drop bombs.  Top Gun 3 should just be Drones going to Flight School with some intermittent shots of fat Val and fat McGillis jello wrestling.  

It was Jester, not Cmdr Mike Metcalf call sign Viper, and it was Korea. "During Korea, the Navy's kill ratio was 12 to 1. We shot down twelve of their jets for every one of ours.  During Vietnam, our ratio fell 3 to 1. Our pilots had become dependent on missiles. Lost some of their dogfighting skills."

You need to watch Top Gun again.

And IIRC I watched a doc on the F22 Raptor a while back where the pilot said they target and destroy enemy fighters long before they're in visual range and dogfighting is a thing of the past at the speeds current jets fly. Any Surly fighter jocks confirm or deny?

Edited by Dutch

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

1) Missiles can be defeated by chaff and stealth.  A bullet never lies.

2) Fighters only carry so many missiles. Use them up and you gotta go home otherwise.

3)  "Too close for missiles.  Switching to guns."

The F-35A carries 182 rounds for its 25mm GAU-22 which fires at 3,300 rounds a minute.  That's 3.3 seconds worth of firing.  I don't think the other variants even have an internal gun.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

• 4 months later...

Well, the aeronautical scenes look fucking insanely awesome and realistic.  Would watch for that alone. 

Congrats to Jon Hamm on hitting Vice Admiral before 50.  Didn't know that was a thing.  Could have just made him Rear Admiral and kept the storyline honest.

But most importantly, we just a running list of all of our beloved 80's action movies where somebody dies and now in the 2020's, their sons come back to avenge their deaths or at least disrespect anyone who had a hand in dad's death.  From Apollo to Goose, we got a lot of pent-up angst!  

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

A little too on the nose that his call sign is Payback. 

I think call sign "Avenge me, Son" was taken by another pilot after the attacks of "Red Dawn" 

to Red Five's point...I think Meg Ryan was holding a little baby in "Top Gun" so makes sense the kid is about 35-37 now (I'm assuming filming wrapped awhile ago because of Covid).  He looks a little younger than that in the movie, but maybe it's those sexy Meg Ryan genes.  His aircraft says he's LT.  We'll assume O-3 given his age and that's been flying around full of rage for 15 years apparently.  But yeah, if it's been 37 years...and he was a little baby in the original, he really should think about making LT. Commander very soon.  Or Admiral Iceman holding him back for something bigger?  WHOAH!  

On 11/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, Lobo said:

Necro reply here, but honestly the issue wasn't that they "lost" their dogfighting skills. The issue was that they were relying on missiles as a tactic in Vietnam but the 1st gen radar-guided and heat-seeking missiles were notoriously unreliable. They got to the point where they would shoot two at every target because of how bad they were.

Yeah, I know what happened in reality.  I was trying to remember what the speech was in the movie because the school was supposed to be predicated on reversing that.  Like it not, most Americans knowledge of naval aviation combat history comes from this franchise.  Plus my junior high nickname.

Edited by Lobo