Top Gun 2

Red Five

No, it was "Rubber Dog Shit Outta Hong Kong."  It wasn't catchy, but it seemed to fit.

Or an elementary understanding of Spanish.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Why would you send non-stealth F18's into contested airspace?  Military doctrine is to go in 1st with cruise missiles and F35's.  Movie doesn't look very realistic.

Well, you don't have 59 year-old captains (unless they pretend he entered the Navy at 35, which would mean the late 1990s instead of him being a pilot in the late 80s), and they damn sure aren't flying.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, you don't have 59 year-old captains (unless they pretend he entered the Navy at 35, which would mean the late 1990s instead of him being a pilot in the late 80s), and they damn sure aren't flying.

yeah, in theory. but this isn’t just any 59 year-old captain. this is maverick. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I don't mind when they veer off course for the main character for the sake of the script and the backstory.  It's when they are just lazy with secondary and tertiary characters and their age/rate or age/rank.  Like 53 year old Staff Sergeants or 48 year old Vice Admirals.  Takes 60 seconds to correctly assign them a rank that can still make the plot work, and not have them be off by 15 fucking years.  

I remember John Savage (from 'The Deer Hunter') in "The Thin Red Line", a 50-year old E-5.  Guy looked every day of 50, too.  Just bump him up, doesn't change the script.  Now you're left wondering, "Well, I guess he's only E-5 because he hasn't been in long enough...so why the fuck did he get drafted at age 45?  

Anybody expecting a good plot or coherent narrative from this must not have seen the first one.

Here's the plot summary:

Sexy cinematography of jets looking fucking cool.

Dumb dialogue from beefcake guys and/or hot chicks. Plus glistening sweat.

Rocking soundtrack and SFX to push you back into your seat.

Someone's gonna die resulting in a tearful Maverick moment questioning if he's gone too far.

Maverick's unorthodox training and/or combat methods results in controversy but inevitably success in battle.

Maverick dies in the end (my guess).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

I was joking about the F35 thing.  It's just a movie, and I hope it's a good one.
Are we sure it's set in the present day? Might be set like 10 years ago.  Would help some with the age thing.  Would also help with the F35 thing actually.

At this point it may have been filmed 10 years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:22 AM, mdmost said:

Hell yeah. Admiral Iceman!

Did you see that?  He was inverted!

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Who gives a shit. We got Jennifer Connelly instead. That's a massive upgrade. 

Current day Jennifer Connelly vs 80's Kelly McGillis?

NOT an upgrade.  Downgrade, in fact.

vs current day Kelly McGillis?

MASSIVE upgrade.

59 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Did you see that?  He was inverted!

Current day Jennifer Connelly vs 80's Kelly McGillis?

NOT an upgrade.  Downgrade, in fact.

vs current day Kelly McGillis?

MASSIVE upgrade.

Are you fucking serious?  80’s McGillis very beautiful and had decent acting range.  Jennifer Connelly is a goddess from another world.  She had been stunningly gorgeous, almost over the top beautiful, for 30 years.  It’s not even a conversation.  One was really hot for awhile.  The other, can’t even be described by “hot” and has been that way for decades.  Not for a few movie premieres, for a few decades.  

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are you fucking serious?  80’s McGillis very beautiful and had decent acting range.  Jennifer Connelly is a goddess from another world.  She had been stunningly gorgeous, almost over the top beautiful, for 30 years.  It’s not even a conversation.  One was really hot for awhile.  The other, can’t even be described by “hot” and has been that way for decades.  Not for a few movie premieres, for a few decades.  

Who's talking about acting?  I'm talking about hotness at a point in time.  At the time of Top Gun, McGillis was a smokeshow.

I am taking nothing away from Connelly.  And 80's Connelly was absolute fire as well.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So choosing this:  mgid:ao:image:logotv.com:678987?quality=

Over this: Jennifer-Connelly-2.jpg

...is insane?

OK, I understand disagreeing, but it doesn't strike me as some sort of fringe opinion.

But, whatevs. Carry on, gents.

Now do twentysomething Jennifer Connelly with fiftysomething Kelly McGillis but without the fiftysomething Kelly McGillis. Not trying to compare, I just enjoy watching Ms. Connelly as a young lady.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Now do twentysomething Jennifer Connelly with fiftysomething Kelly McGillis but without the fiftysomething Kelly McGillis. Not trying to compare, I just enjoy watching Ms. Connelly as a young lady.

giphy.gif

Yeah, no shit.  Who doesn't?

Career Opportunities was a prime example of a great/not great movie.  JC made it great.  The rest of the movie was pretty forgettable.  Not horribad, but lord, Connelly... You couldn't take your eyes off of her.

20 hours ago, Blotto said:

yeah its been years since Ive seen a flick at an Imax. This seems like as good a reason as any to break the streak.

Hadn’t seem an IMAX movie in a long time until The Batman. The theatre nearest to our house is a Cinemark, which doesn’t offer it. We were slow one day last week, so I knocked off work early and drove to an AMC with “Laser IMAX” just down the road. The car chase scene…holy shit. I forgot what a difference IMAX makes when it’s done well on a giant screen with proper IMAX sound  

Imma see TOP GUN back-to-back on opening weekend in IMAX. Plan on buying tickets as soon as pre-sale starts.