Top Gun 2

Red Five

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

That's not always positive sign, these days.  In fact, there's a few instances when it's all but guaranteed the audiences would hate it, but I'm holding out hope this is one where the critics and audience are on the same page.

Bought tickets yesterday for the first Friday.  Reviews are great because Tom Cruise understood this movie for what it is.  Same reason why Favreau has done so well with the Star Wars series.

Fans want the Greatest Hits.  They don't care about the new album.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I saw Interstellar at the Bullock.  It was absolutely the best movie watching experience of my life.  The Hans Zimmerman organ music rattled my balls.  No food, lots of room, and I went by myself.  Incredible. 

High hopes for TG2!  I’m bringing my kids but I might not sit with them. Too distracting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://kiss951.com/2022/05/17/applebees-top-gun-maverick-movie-passes/

If you can’t wait to see the new movie, Top Gun: Maverick, you’re not alone. And if you’re also a fan of Applebee’s, there’s a way to bring those two things together. The restaurant chain has partnered with Paramount Pictures to make your next Applebee’s experience fancy like free movie tickets!

According to Chew Boom, if you make a qualifying purchase of $25 or more (dine-in, to-go, delivery, or on the app) at Applebee’s between now and June 12, you can get a free Fandango ticket to see the movie. If you spend $50 or more, you’ll get two free movie tickets.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:01 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Bought tickets yesterday for the first Friday.  Reviews are great because Tom Cruise understood this movie for what it is.  Same reason why Favreau has done so well with the Star Wars series.

Fans want the Greatest Hits.  They don't care about the new album.

100%. I don't need my childhood reimagined ... I want to re-live it.

Watched the original last night. It holds up.

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s pretty crazy seeing the darling of the Cannes arthouse film festival is … Top Gun 2.  

If Cruise wins an Oscar for it, his acceptance speech should be, “Wow, really?  After 40 years of movies like Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire … this is all I had to do?  I’ve done my own stunts jumping off the tallest building in the world, hanging on to the outside of an airplane in motion, I had a whole Oscar bait monologue about my dick not working in Born on the Fourth of July … and it turns out all I had to do this whole time was put on a cool jacket and give you sheeple some member berries again!  All of you, LITERALLY FUCK YOUR OWN FACE!”

for real tho.  he could have won for both rain man and a few good men, except his costars were such (positive) scene chewers.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

What theater doesn't have reserved seats in this day and age?

the bullock. @Elvis if you’re going to the bullock a good hour or 90 minutes should suffice. but then again, top gun 2 isn’t just any other movie. you may want to allocate a full two hours. and go straight to the very top of the theater, dead center. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Top opening all weekend of all time is Avengers Endgame at $357M.  Calling my shot.  That falls next weekend.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_opening_weekend/

you might be wrong. people of all ages go to and enjoy those marvel movies. my friend’s kid is in high school and I asked him if he was excited about top gun 2 and his reply was “wait what’s top gun again?”  I don’t think the majority of people under 25 know or care about top gun. and tens of millions of people under 25 are fanatical about marvel. so I say nay.

but then again you may be right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Top opening all weekend of all time is Avengers Endgame at $357M.  Calling my shot.  That falls next weekend.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_opening_weekend/

Negative Ghost Rider.

Marvel is a machine and it's not going to be toppled.  Even though their movies suck like said above the get every age group.  Besides I don't think movies are fully back enough for a record breaker.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:12 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Top Gun Stinger GIF - Top Gun Stinger You Cant GIFs

On 5/8/2022 at 10:04 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

The thread for the alternates is down in the lady’s room. 

On 5/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, mdmost said:

Crashed and burned, huh ztejas?

On 5/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, futureman said:

@ztejas… *sniff* … you stink. 

Hah just checking this thread again. I'm not against Top Gun it's just too much fun to not mess with the Surly collective when it comes to a cult favorite that I don't really identify with. My dad would disown me if he knew I was talking shit about Top Gun.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Back row center procured for Friday night in IMAX. Can’t fucking wait.

Where?  

10 hours ago, futureman said:

the bullock. @Elvis if you’re going to the bullock a good hour or 90 minutes should suffice. but then again, top gun 2 isn’t just any other movie. you may want to allocate a full two hours. and go straight to the very top of the theater, dead center. 

I'm guessing this is accurate? 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

I just noticed he's in the backseat of an F-14 here... WTF are Tomcats doing in this movie? 

I wonder if it's gonna be like a Battlestar Galactia thing where the old Vipers weren't vulnerable to the new Cylons' ability to shut them down remotely? So like there is some new "bad guy" technology that won't work on old Tomcats? Hmmm.

The scene where they run into the museum to dig out the fighters is my favorite moment of that decade. 

2 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Watched the original for probably the 20th time but first time in at least a decade.

I don’t think I’d ever noticed Maverick has a Texas flag on his jacket. It also says Dallas on it.

You've never heard of the Battle of Las Colinas where the BMW 3 series were thick as fireflies?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1