Top Gun 2

Red Five

Loved it. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. The perfect amount of callbacks to the original stuff  see it on the biggest loudest screen you can find and you will not be disappointed.

Oh and Jennifer Connelly is pure smoke

• Hook 'Em 4

agree on the callbacks...flashbacks were perfect to bring any young'un who never saw the original up to speed and callbacks like the football game were pitch perfect...my theater actually broke into applause at that scene 😄

i'd only seen Miles Teller in Whiplash (fantastic) and a little of The Offer so far, he's put together a nice little resume. he nailed the Goose-isms, great casting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

also I really wish Jon Hamm did more movies.

he was the act person i was most surprised hasn't made it big as a leading man. lots of good character roles, loved him in Baby Driver and The Town.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 3:46 PM, futureman said:

you might be wrong. people of all ages go to and enjoy those marvel movies. my friend’s kid is in high school and I asked him if he was excited about top gun 2 and his reply was “wait what’s top gun again?”  I don’t think the majority of people under 25 know or care about top gun. and tens of millions of people under 25 are fanatical about marvel. so I say nay.

but then again you may be right. 

Yep. This and kids under 25 go see the same movie repeatedly in the theatre. 

50 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

02a44ac35a7ab784215df4789ba90d5a.jpg

Yeah Tony Scott I believe had other plans.

Oh shit!  

I just bought this. It arrived yesterday. 

I also have an XBR Trinitron in storage. 

we should hang out. 

B0EB6A17-4A6F-486E-9F2F-EB6F80351A3B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did it set up top gun 3 and beyond?

Probably not, and that’s fine with me. Starting with Tom’s comments before the film began, to the perfect amount of nostalgia notes mixed with new characters, to Gaga’s 80s-esque power ballad, and then the incredible aviation sequences…Everything about this film was a love letter to the fans who have loved Top Gun since 1986. And a very fitting goodbye.

Thank you, Tom. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fucking awesome movie.  It's part remake, part sequel.  The plot is cheese but I didn't care.  I said it before but major props to Tom Cruise for digging his heels in on theatrical release.

And yes, Jennifer Connelly is my wheelhouse.  Good Lord, she's hot.

I didn't realize it but "Penny Benjamin" is the name of the admiral's daughter Maverick made a pass at in the first movie.  The character wasn't in the movie but Goose leans in and says "Penny Benjamin."  Well played.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

SIAP… Cruise might make $200,000,000 on this movie- he got 10% first dollar that escalated to 20% if it hits certain bench marks. He’s going to set the Memorial Day box office record at over 140 million in all likelihood. If he hits the 200 million he will take down Bruce Willis for biggest earnings on one film, at an adjusted for inflation 196 million for “The 6th Sense.”  
That is the kind of stroke you have when you are a 13th level Thetan. 
Glad to see all the glowing reports. My wife and daughter have the Rona so I’m a ticking time bomb I guess, and probably won’t see it until mid June. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Fucking awesome movie.  It's part remake, part sequel.  The plot is cheese but I didn't care.  I said it before but major props to Tom Cruise for digging his heels in on theatrical release.

I didn't realize it but "Penny Benjamin" is the name of the admiral's daughter Maverick made a pass at in the first movie.  The character wasn't in the movie but Goose leans in and says "Penny Benjamin."  Well played.

I was the only one that laughed out loud when he said her name. I was disappointed in the other moviegoers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Any relation to Private Judy Benjamin?

Loved it. I was amazed at how it is literally (no spoilers) the same movie updated for a new generation. And you know what? It still fucking works. And while it didn’t make my brain have to work to hard, I was coursing with adrenaline for the whole back half even knowing what would happen. Just enough surprises mixed in to have a few fist pump moments (in an admittedly total-suspension-of-disbelief plot).

All I came away thinking was “damn, that was a fun couple of hours!”

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

SIAP… Cruise might make $200,000,000 on this movie- he got 10% first dollar that escalated to 20% if it hits certain bench marks. He’s going to set the Memorial Day box office record at over 140 million in all likelihood. If he hits the 200 million he will take down Bruce Willis for biggest earnings on one film, at an adjusted for inflation 196 million for “The 6th Sense.”  
That is the kind of stroke you have when you are a 13th level Thetan. 
Glad to see all the glowing reports. My wife and daughter have the Rona so I’m a ticking time bomb I guess, and probably won’t see it until mid June. 

And yet Bruce Willis still blew through all that to the point he was doing straight to video movies before having to sell all of his houses.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And yet Bruce Willis still blew through all that to the point he was doing straight to video movies before having to sell all of his houses.

We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money. 
I think Willis was one of the highest paid actors ever. He came up at a time and most of his career happened when stars got everything- which has since been market market corrected- and he did a TON of movies- like 2 or 3 every year like clock work even before the straight to video stuff.