Top Gun 2

Red Five

On 6/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, Parliament said:

It bugged me that Bob wore glasses.  No way they'd let a guy in the air without perfect vision.  

But I was wrong.  Freind of mine is ex Navy, and he says back seaters are allowed to wear glasses. 

That changed a long time ago. Pilots in every military branch can wear glasses as long as it’s correctable to 20/20. A few other stipulations as well.   This includes even before beginning flight training.  If your eyes deteriorate after flight training the standards are even more lax  

I think the Navy was actually the first to start allowing glasses and that was more than 30 years ago.  The other services followed later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

That changed a long time ago. Pilots in every military branch can wear glasses as long as it’s correctable to 20/20. A few other stipulations as well.   This includes even before beginning flight training.  If your eyes deteriorate after flight training the standards are even more lax  

I think the Navy was actually the first to start allowing glasses and that was more than 30 years ago.  The other services followed later. 

based on zero knowledge of the situation I’d assume that pilots would at least need lasik? they are letting pilots fly jets wearing glasses? what if you break your glasses or they fall off?

Aviator airframes fit right under the helmet.  Even though they can wear glasses, there are still limits to how bad their vision can be. I assume that limit is such that they could still safely fly the airplane if their glasses broke.   I was required to fly with glasses on my person for many years before I actually started wearing them on my face.   To be clear, I’m not a Navy pilot, I just work with a whole lot of them.   

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

This includes even before beginning flight training.  If your eyes deteriorate after flight training the standards are even more lax  

One would hope that after years of training and experience and the cost thereof, they wouldn’t want to have to toss out pilots because their eyesight isn’t what it once was but is correctable. 

17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I sat through most of the first one last night.  While part of my loves it, it hasn't aged the best.  The sequel is a better movie.

The original was funnier and obviously more quotable. Kind of apples and oranges, in spite of being such similar movies (opening Maverick being a badass scene, he's sent to Top Gun, gets laid, plays sports in the sand, someone dies, Maverick saves the day in the end). 

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I sat through most of the first one last night.  While part of my loves it, it hasn't aged the best.  The sequel is a better movie.

This is just wrong. The overt homoeroticism was decades ahead of its time.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The original was funnier and obviously more quotable. Kind of apples and oranges, in spite of being such similar movies (opening Maverick being a badass scene, he's sent to Top Gun, gets laid, plays sports in the sand, someone dies, Maverick saves the day in the end). 

You know what?  I agree.  For sure more quotable.  It's funny for different reasons now.  The new one isn't all that funny, but when it is, it's, as someone else put it, like we're watching the Top Gun sequel with Maverick (and the football nod to the original).  Apples and oranges. 

43 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Fucking spoiler alert!

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah it was pretty much Top Gun the force awakens but better. It was glorious. Can’t wait till it’s out on streaming. 

Super late to the party:

I was like a little kid in that it featured 3 of my favorite planes from 5th grade, The F-14 tomcat, The SR -71blackbird, the p51 mustang like Yeagar few in WW2

I wanted to be a pilot before and after Top Gun 1986, and was briefly obsessed with that shit in the early 80s.

Lots of liberties taken with aviation, but they kept some of it truthy ish.

It was fun as shit and I felt like they fully endulged my generation so I overlooked a lot ridiculousness. I think the unmanned SR72 that is still a few years out, is targeting Mach 6 for example, no where near Mach 10. But it felt like a hat tip to Yeagar and the old guard test pilots that pushed the limits, and are a dead or passing breed and I loved that side of it too. Nostalgia a la The Right Stuff. Pilots vs just being a machine.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Tomorrow. By myself and not with the kids, and not on the imax screen. If it’s as awesome as everyone says I’m going to find an IMAX somewhere and take the kids when the boy gets back from camp. 
excited. 

Why wouldn't it be exactly like we all said?

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I assume it will be. I understand from every single human being I’ve read and talked to that if I don’t love this movie that’s about me and not the movie. 

It totally shouldn't be good.  But it's great.

Just now, dcbc said:

It totally shouldn't be good.  But it's great.

I’m excited. Family had COVID and then we went on the road and now we are back and I was like let’s go and everyone else was meh so I’m like screw you guys, you suck, I’m going by myself. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Tomorrow. By myself and not with the kids, and not on the imax screen. If it’s as awesome as everyone says I’m going to find an IMAX somewhere and take the kids when the boy gets back from camp. 
excited. 

my 10 year old son said it was the best movie he'd ever seen.  my 11 year old daughter told me that she was sick of action movies because they all were the same (a consequence of being raised in the marvel era).  then saw this and loved it.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Finally saw it today. Fucking fantastic. 

Should be noted that Jean Louisa Kelly has also aged well. I've had a thing for her since Uncle Buck.

Did not realize she was Ice's wife.  

She was fantastic in Mr. Holland's Opus.

23 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

This was me at the first note of Danger Zone... Wife had to gently put her hand on my arm and tell me to settle the fuck down

fist-pump-success.gif

The second I heard that to start the movie I cracked a big smile that didn’t go away until the closing credits. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/7/2022 at 7:45 AM, BabaYaga said:

Jocko podcast had Dave Burke on:  former top gun student, top gun instructor, and then head instructor.  Only guy trained in the 16, 18, 22, and F-35.  He loved it!  Cool listening to him talk about how accurate it was that the instructors completely mopped the floor with the students.  Just obliterate them over and over and over.  

I doubt any navy pilot flew a 16.  14 highly likely.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, WBT said:

I finally saw it tonight and that was fun.  How great is it to have an action blockbuster without cgi vomited all over the screen?

The new "Midway" sucked for that very reason.  The original was actually really good, the new one was unwatchable. 

Y'all talking about Danger Zone to open, but how about before the movie even starts, when they still have the producer credits up and the gong starts?  I did a dorky double fist pump of excitement and my kid was like WTF?

Same. I did a little dance move in my seat and my wife had to tell me be still haha.

11 hours ago, Mittens said:

Y'all talking about Danger Zone to open, but how about before the movie even starts, when they still have the producer credits up and the gong starts?  I did a dorky double fist pump of excitement and my kid was like WTF?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On 6/19/2022 at 1:43 AM, Born to Run said:

Super late to the party:

I was like a little kid in that it featured 3 of my favorite planes from 5th grade, The F-14 tomcat, The SR -71blackbird, the p51 mustang like Yeagar few in WW2

I wanted to be a pilot before and after Top Gun 1986, and was briefly obsessed with that shit in the early 80s.

Lots of liberties taken with aviation, but they kept some of it truthy ish.

It was fun as shit and I felt like they fully endulged my generation so I overlooked a lot ridiculousness. I think the unmanned SR72 that is still a few years out, is targeting Mach 6 for example, no where near Mach 10. But it felt like a hat tip to Yeagar and the old guard test pilots that pushed the limits, and are a dead or passing breed and I loved that side of it too. Nostalgia a la The Right Stuff. Pilots vs just being a machine.

Maybe I'm still half asleep, but remind me when the SR-71 appeared.

The F14 is an overrated fighting machine.  Heavy, expensive, lotsa maintenance. In just about every way, it is outclassed by the Hornet and Super Hornet.  However...

A Tomcat is pure sex.  It's the equivalent of that fit chick you leer at in the squat rack.  The F18?  Tits on a stick and bleached hair.  Still would of couse.  But only after the F14 went home.

• Like 1

F-14 was an interceptor.  Very specific mission.  Destroy enemy bombers before they could launch ASM at the carrier group.  It was meant to fly really fucking fast in a straight line and then fire phoenix missiles at approaching bombers.  Any air superiority role it had was secondary to that, but it was surprisingly effective for as big and heavy as it was.

• Fuck You 2

Buddy had the USS Flagg and the Skystriker(F14)

I had 2 rattlers, one that I used model paint to repaint gray for the Joe’s. I had the x30 forward swept-wing jet and my big bad boy was the x19 phantom stealth jet.

God I spent so much of my lawn mower money on gi Joe and Nintendo.