Top Gun 2

Red Five

I had a dark green one that was a little more slender. What would that have been?  

The sky striker was only released in that white in series 2. Like 5 years later it hit rereleased with the night force reskins as the “night boomer”.

I cannot think of any ‘82-90 vehicle that used the F14 style in the gi joe lineup…

Yeah I was a massive gi joe nerd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Felix said:

F-14 was an interceptor.  Very specific mission.  Destroy enemy bombers before they could launch ASM at the carrier group.  It was meant to fly really fucking fast in a straight line and then fire phoenix missiles at approaching bombers.  Any air superiority role it had was secondary to that, but it was surprisingly effective for as big and heavy as it was.

It was envisioned as an interceptor but was outclassed before it ever even went into production. It was simply a weapons platform to deliver phoenix missiles

19 hours ago, Wade said:

Had this cued up in my cassette alarm clock every morning.  Rewound it every night so this would greet me every day.  Kept me focused and motivated as a dumb teenager.  

Keep grades up. Stay in shape.  Get that NROTC scholly.  

Ended up working out pretty well. 

It was envisioned as an interceptor but was outclassed before it ever even went into production. It was simply a weapons platform to deliver phoenix missiles

Didn’t help that ROE also took away most of that interceptor role away from it… it basically became a deterrent rather than an interceptor or CAP/CAS like the F15. Desert storm further cemented that as the F14s were basically scaring off Iraqis without engagements. Barring 1 helo that the F14 shot down

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Buddy had the USS Flagg and the Skystriker(F14)

I had 2 rattlers, one that I used model paint to repaint gray for the Joe’s. I had the x30 forward swept-wing jet and my big bad boy was the x19 phantom stealth jet.

God I spent so much of my lawn mower money on gi Joe and Nintendo.

My grandfather, who wasn't always the spot on gift giver, knocked it out of the park one Christmas when he showed up with the USS Flagg.  That extended my GI Joe years way beyond when they should have ended and came on the heals of Top Gun. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

The sky striker was only released in that white in series 2. Like 5 years later it hit rereleased with the night force reskins as the “night boomer”.

I cannot think of any ‘82-90 vehicle that used the F14 style in the gi joe lineup…

The one I had definitely was the white, F14 style (I think 1983 or 1984 or thereabouts).  I think it was Sky Striker, but I can't remember what its GIJ name was.  The fact that the USS Flagg came with a clip on tow hook for that plane was one of the coolest things about it.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can still hear the sound of throwing the lever between the vertical stabilizers to articulate the wings. 

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yup.  I, too, saved up all my lawn money to buy a Skystriker.  I also had the VAMP offroad buggy, the RAM motorcycle with gun sidecar, and the COBRA Stinger. Sadly I did not have the USS Flagg.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I loved the F14 so much I even kept this ERTL die-cast F14 for my son.

f7a7a7a8e8264ccb7b5bf23f7c366d23.jpg

cbb621dbb8075d94988a3224246bcdab.jpg

Not sure where my F15,16 and 18 went but I sure as shit kept my F14.

Also it took me a while to find what it was called but I also had this:
17019b3e10e603ed852eba04b4c0a4bc.jpg
The joystick would throttle up when titling back, throttle down when lowering the nose, have the cannon when clicking the red thumb left and have missile lock and firing when clicked right. If I’m not mistaken if you punched forward it would make the afterburner sound…. Not sure on that.
I still have this also at my parents but the joystick stopped working 30yeara ago. Oh and you could pick from different fighter wings, I got the jolly Rogers squadron obviously

I still love the F14…

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, futureman said:

tell me about the F15 eagle. 

the true workhorse of american air superiority from the late 70's through the end of the second iraq war.  absolutely essential to all u.s. military success and a big part of israel's ability to dominate the levant and iranian projected regions.

also, this movie remains the corniest movie i have ever seen...and the stupidity of the darkstar banking at mach 9 and ejecting at mach 10.1 is so fucking dumb that i can't even imagine how the production team got there.  but all the real back seat f-18 filming made it all worth it.  so awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

the true workhorse of american air superiority from the late 70's through the end of the second iraq war.  absolutely essential to all u.s. military success and a big part of israel's ability to dominate the levant and iranian projected regions.

Owned the air from the second it was put into service until the second the f-22 was put into service. 

that a raptor can capably fight 5 eagles should tell you about raptor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, sidis said:

also, this movie remains the corniest movie i have ever seen...and the stupidity of the darkstar banking at mach 9 and ejecting at mach 10.1 is so fucking dumb that i can't even imagine how the production team got there.  but all the real back seat f-18 filming made it all worth it.  so awesome.

didn't necessarily eject from the darkstar.  just survived the breakup.  there's a dude that survived the breakup of a sr 71 over new mexico

8 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

didn't necessarily eject from the darkstar.  just survived the breakup.  there's a dude that survived the breakup of a sr 71 over new mexico

barely, at mach 3...and the other guy died.

22 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

I loved the F14 so much I even kept this ERTL die-cast F14 for my son.

f7a7a7a8e8264ccb7b5bf23f7c366d23.jpg

cbb621dbb8075d94988a3224246bcdab.jpg

Not sure where my F15,16 and 18 went but I sure as shit kept my F14.

Also it took me a while to find what it was called but I also had this:
17019b3e10e603ed852eba04b4c0a4bc.jpg
The joystick would throttle up when titling back, throttle down when lowering the nose, have the cannon when clicking the red thumb left and have missile lock and firing when clicked right. If I’m not mistaken if you punched forward it would make the afterburner sound…. Not sure on that.
I still have this also at my parents but the joystick stopped working 30yeara ago. Oh and you could pick from different fighter wings, I got the jolly Rogers squadron obviously

I still love the F14…

That Ertl F14 was about the only thing I played with that wasn’t an Ertl Farm toy from ages 4-6

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

So that is a fan theory that is out there. That the movie is actually a death dream of Maverick during the breakup of the darkstar

I thought we might be seeing a last-scene-first moment until I saw him walk into the restaurant with smoke still coming off his flight suit.  Then I was like, wait, he ejected at Mach 10+.  Then I scolded myself to just enjoy the movie, which was a good decision.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Saw it opening weekend and now the wife is out of town until Sunday.  I've never gone to the theater by myself before.  It might happen this weekend.

It's basically the same.  You still put your junk through the bottom of the popcorn tub.  But this time, you eat the popcorn without help.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 2