Top Gun 2

Red Five

Well holy shit, that was somehow better on the 2nd viewing.  What a great fucking movie.  The first one doesn't even need to exist.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the original, but they made this so it didn't depend on the first one.  Sure, there are callbacks, and Penny's character has no gravity without the original, but you could come into the second without any knowledge of the first and love it.  

Just well fucking done.

ALL THAT SAID.  I watched it the second time at Alamo.  For the "shut up and put your cell phone away" message, they had Val Kilmer.  Present day.  With his voice.  It didn't look or sound like an AI created voice.  How did this occur?  Anyone?

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well holy shit, that was somehow better on the 2nd viewing.  What a great fucking movie.  The first one doesn't even need to exist.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the original, but they made this so it didn't depend on the first one.  Sure, there are callbacks, and Penny's character has no gravity without the original, but you could come into the second without any knowledge of the first and love it.  

Just well fucking done.

ALL THAT SAID.  I watched it the second time at Alamo.  For the "shut up and put your cell phone away" message, they had Val Kilmer.  Present day.  With his voice.  It didn't look or sound like an AI created voice.  How did this occur?  Anyone?

I don’t think that was present day.  He’s done stuff with Alamo before. Tombstone at least.  I bet they reused one from that. 

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I don’t think that was present day.  He’s done stuff with Alamo before. Tombstone at least.  I bet they reused one from that. 

He was dressed the same way he was in the movie. The scarf and whatnot. It seemed very much recent. Maybe AI is that advanced.

Saw it last night. The last third of the movie was about as good as I have seen. Which was good because half way thru I was sitting there just wishing the movie would get to the end.

Not the kind of movie I would want to go see again in the theater. There was nothing deep that I could have missed the first time.

I did like it and think everybody should go see it.

Casting was typical ridiculous Hollywood. Though I am sure some were pissed that there were no tranny pilots.

Ridiculously picky nit to pick that I very briefly picked anyway because I'm a nerd: I wish Maverick would've had a restored F4U Corsair or a Hellcat. Even a Wildcat. Something that regularly jumped off carriers.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Paco said:

Ridiculously picky nit to pick that I very briefly picked anyway because I'm a nerd: I wish Maverick would've had a restored F4U Corsair or a Hellcat. Even a Wildcat. Something that regularly jumped off carriers.

I see where you're going there but I don't think there any 2 seater Corsairs or Hellcats around.

I see where you're going there but I don't think there any 2 seater Corsairs or Hellcats around.
Oh yeah. Forgot he took Penny up. In my defense I had the brief thought when it was first shown. Nerd rant over.

43 minutes ago, Paco said:

Except that he owns that P-51.  And Corsairs and Hellcats are cool, but they aren't even close to being pure sex like that polished P-51.  If I'm a rich guy, that's what I buy too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Great flick, had a babysitter watch the three month old and 2 year old just to break away and watch in theater. Def watch it on the big screen. Great real special effects no gimmicks no computer bullshit animations.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Just saw it at Alamo. Just a better filmed version of the original, plus a "hey, let's rip off the climax of Star Wars IV" thrown in to boot. I would've walked outin the 2nd act but the Peacemakers were cold.

negged, with extreme prejudice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They should’ve had Tom Skerritt walk in there and get mad and say “Sam I thought I told you never to pla-“ and then see Maverick and then fuck once last time before he puts Mav on that plane because Miramar’s just a hill of beans and forget it Jake it’s Chinatown.

I'll reiterate that I loved this movie.  But we need to acknowledge that the early part of the third act was the Star Wars Death Star battle, trench, small target, and all.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

I'll reiterate that I loved this movie.  But we need to acknowledge that the early part of the third act was the Star Wars Death Star battle, trench, small target, and all.

I acknowledge it.  And that and it's a rehash of TG1, and it has gaping plot holes.  And I still love it.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

Sure..... But then let's acknowledge that Star Wars ripped it off of a fantastic British movie called The Dam Busters, even plagiarizing huge parts of dialogue.  If you don't care about that, then you probably shouldn't care about this.

Saw it yesterday and I liked it but didn’t love it. It was Top Gun 1 with todays budget and special effects. It was sad to see Val Kilmer like that but they did a wonderful job in that scene with him and TC. Very moving. And Jennifer Connelly is a knock out. It’s a great summer movie and that’s all it needed to be. A get out of the heat in a dark theater with popcorn - and escape for a couple of hours. I would go back just to sit in those moving seats that goes with the action on screen. 

22 hours ago, Stringer said:

Finally got to the theater last night to see it.  My review:

Jennifer Connelly....Jesus Christ.

When I saw Mulholland Falls in the mid-to-late 90's, I honestly believed that I would have killed someone to have her.

• Hook 'Em 1