Top Gun 2

Red Five

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Watch the making of on youtube.  Very little CGI.  The flying was real.

Yeah the only sequences that were primarily CGI were the ones with the F-14, given there aren’t any that can fly any more. (At least any that a Hollywood movie production could get ahold of).

The rest of it was using CGI to fudge real shots somewhat like when Maverick splits the two Super Hornets with his... really any time it shows the jets really close together…. But yeah probably 90%+ of the shots of the jets flying AND the actors in the cockpits were real, which is astonishing.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

When the pilots were gathered at their briefing with Don Draper, and we see that Mav is gonna run the simulation that was probably the most exciting part of the movie for me.  Even though I knew he was gonna make it, it was still badass.

There was such a collective assumption that making a Top Gun sequel was a horribly bad idea, and I took it for granted, as well.  But they treated the material and the previous movie with loving respect, and what a triumph it turned out to be.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Les Grossman is amazing. I don’t know if that could be the basis for an entire movie but I’m down to see them try. 

les grossman is fucking hilarious.  there are a million storylines that could built around a character like that.  it will be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it at home in 4K. Damn. The parts that really impressed me were the high G maneuvers where you could see the blood draining from their faces.

JC has held up well. Hamm does his Don Draper to perfection. I'd love to see the outtakes.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Just watched it at home in 4K. Damn. The parts that really impressed me were the high G maneuvers where you could see the blood draining from their faces.

JC has held up well. Hamm does his Don Draper to perfection. I'd love to see the outtakes.

How?

Yes tickets cost more these days and many of us saw it multiple times in IMAX or Dolby Cinema, but Maverick just passed Avengers IW for 6th all-time on the domestic list. Damn cool.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/top-gun-maverick-domestic-box-office-record-avengers-infinity-war-1235340980/amp/

Tom Cruise Goose GIF by Top Gun

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Yes tickets cost more these days and many of us saw it multiple times in IMAX or Dolby Cinema, but Maverick just passed Avengers IW for 6th all-time on the domestic list. Damn cool.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/top-gun-maverick-domestic-box-office-record-avengers-infinity-war-1235340980/amp/

Tom Cruise Goose GIF by Top Gun

c'mon man

tom-rider-dildo.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I just cannot believe that anybody would not like this movie. It is awesome. 

This movie is a litmus test for whether I can trust you. If you did not like this movie, you kick dogs, pirate other people's wi-fi, and steal parking spaces. 

96 with critics and 99 with audiences on RT.  You're gonna be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't like it.

So, finally watched at home tonight and had a few thoughts:

1) The audio mix is lackluster and I expect more from Atmos. This shit should wallop, but it’s a bunch of single channel simplicity.

2) There were few scenes that I felt could have been handled better upon a second viewing, but the last 5 minutes were a highlight. Here, the dialogue was lacking and the usage of a soundstage for the tighter shots was a disservice.

3) Who fucking cares it’s all

20 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

So, finally watched at home tonight and had a few thoughts:

1) The audio mix is lackluster and I expect more from Atmos. This shit should wallop, but it’s a bunch of single channel simplicity.

2) There were few scenes that I felt could have been handled better upon a second viewing, but the last 5 minutes were a highlight. Here, the dialogue was lacking and the usage of a soundstage for the tighter shots was a disservice.

3) Who fucking cares it’s all emoji897.png

Streaming audio compression is shit, especially for Atmos. 

Get the blue ray or UHD disc for the full soundtrack. 

Disc vs iTunes Movie purchase is night and day 

Edited by ChickenSandwich