Top Gun 2

Red Five

On 10/8/2022 at 9:54 AM, futureman said:

this has been posted already in this thread, not by me, but it’s a good watch for anyone interested so I’m putting it up again for anyone that didn’t see it.  admittedly I know nothing about this world but these guys, unless they’re lying, say the flying is real and most of what happens in the movie is pretty believable other than a few minor procedural things on base.  it’s interesting and contributed to my enjoyment of the movie.

You mean besides Maverick being able to eject from a jet going Mach 11 and walking away instead of being turned into strawberry jelly?

10 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You mean besides Maverick being able to eject from a jet going Mach 11 and walking away instead of being turned into strawberry jelly?

And besides the fact a Chinese stealth fighter would just, you know, FLY AWAY, if an old F14 shitbox got behind it.  So what.  Movie rocks.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Watched it with the family again on New Year's Eve, and realized I'm tired of CGI.

This had me excited, cause they were real planes and real people flying. With CGI, you know they're going to make it, so Captain America doing a back flip off a motorcycle onto the back of a fighter jet is kind of a yawner, as there's no real risk. 

Cruise may be the last standing movie star right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

A little while ago my wife and I were flying back from somewhere, and on the first leg, the guy in front of me was watching it.  So I watched without sound for about an hour.  I told my wife about it, so we watched the whole thing on the second leg.  I enjoyed both viewings. 

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

A little while ago my wife and I were flying back from somewhere, and on the first leg, the guy in front of me was watching it.  So I watched without sound for about an hour.  I told my wife about it, so we watched the whole thing on the second leg.  I enjoyed both viewings. 

That's a new way to join the Mile High Club.

• 2 weeks later...

Real life Top Gun. Thought this was cool and wanted to add it to the thread.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/asia/korean-war-fighter-pilot-soviet-shootdown-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

“On a cold November day in 1952, Williams shot down four Soviet fighter jets – and became a legend no one would hear about for more than 50 years.

The now 97-year-old former naval aviator was presented with the Navy Cross, the service’s second-highest military honor at a ceremony Friday in California.“

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Real life Top Gun. Thought this was cool and wanted to add it to the thread.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/asia/korean-war-fighter-pilot-soviet-shootdown-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

“On a cold November day in 1952, Williams shot down four Soviet fighter jets – and became a legend no one would hear about for more than 50 years.

The now 97-year-old former naval aviator was presented with the Navy Cross, the service’s second-highest military honor at a ceremony Friday in California.“

FSf4Z5uWUAEeNn1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finally got around to watching this because I guess I hate America and have misplaced priorities. 

Honest thoughts - there were a lot of super cheesy lines and too much call back and imitation of the first movie. Also a lot of it seemed extremely unrealistic and implausible - not sure how anyone could believe that any of this could ever happen in the modern day and age. 

The touch football scene was really fucking stupid, too. We already had a super gay beach scene in the first film - we didn't need another one. 

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Finally got around to watching this because I guess I hate America and have misplaced priorities. 

Honest thoughts - there were a lot of super cheesy lines and too much call back and imitation of the first movie. Also a lot of it seemed extremely unrealistic and implausible - not sure how anyone could believe that any of this could ever happen in the modern day and age. 

The touch football scene was really fucking stupid, too. We already had a super gay beach scene in the first film - we didn't need another one. 

I'm just kidding. It was fucking stupid but I loved it. It was better than the original. That's how you make movies.

We need more movies like that to bring this country together. I mean we really do. We've entered this bizarre era of dogshit where we can't draw people together anymore to experience something worthwhile at a movie theater.

This film reminded me of how it used to be - you used to make movies to get folks off their asses and have them go pay for a ticket to see your film. And then they shared that experience together. 

Now all any producer does is try and keep you hooked on watching their show on your Netflix or Hulu or HBO. You just sit at home and smash your head into your TV screen while you avoid interacting with other human beings. 

I don't think it has to be that way. I think there's still an audience for going out and interacting with your community and sharing a viewing experience. 

It might sound really fucking stupid or like a bizarre unrelated rant but this movie kind of rekindles my hope that that could still be a thing. And we all know that cinema dying is a very real thing. 

So - I don't know - give that shit best picture. Maybe it will wake the industry up a bit. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

agreed

ETA

nvm  Well played.

Edited by Parliament

• 3 months later...

If you missed it in theaters, it's now streaming on Amazon Prime.  I really enjoyed it.  Some cheesy callbacks to the original but a better story that the original, IMHO.  Fantastic flight scenes.

Tom Cruise owns and flys the P-51 flown in the movie.  If it's your movie and your aircraft, why not?

I'm just kidding. It was fucking stupid but I loved it. It was better than the original. That's how you make movies.
We need more movies like that to bring this country together. I mean we really do. We've entered this bizarre era of dogshit where we can't draw people together anymore to experience something worthwhile at a movie theater.
This film reminded me of how it used to be - you used to make movies to get folks off their asses and have them go pay for a ticket to see your film. And then they shared that experience together. 
Now all any producer does is try and keep you hooked on watching their show on your Netflix or Hulu or HBO. You just sit at home and smash your head into your TV screen while you avoid interacting with other human beings. 
I don't think it has to be that way. I think there's still an audience for going out and interacting with your community and sharing a viewing experience. 
It might sound really fucking stupid or like a bizarre unrelated rant but this movie kind of rekindles my hope that that could still be a thing. And we all know that cinema dying is a very real thing. 
So - I don't know - give that shit best picture. Maybe it will wake the industry up a bit. 

3c64e92b6521f57a94681353887ae660.gif
  • Haha 1