Top Gun 2

Red Five

6 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Loved it. I was amazed at how it is literally (no spoilers) the same movie updated for a new generation. And you know what? It still fucking works. And while it didn’t make my brain have to work to hard, I was coursing with adrenaline for the whole back half even knowing what would happen. Just enough surprises mixed in to have a few fist pump moments (in an admittedly total-suspension-of-disbelief plot).

All I came away thinking was “damn, that was a fun couple of hours!”

exactly...it did what The Force Awakens tried to do but much more successfully 😄

• Hook 'Em 2

so, dumb question because I feel like I’ve read the answer here already but is Tom fully trained on those jets?  like he can fly them by himself, right?

ok watched the above video. but also the F-14?

Edited by futureman

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

so, dumb question because I feel like I’ve read the answer here already but is Tom fully trained on those jets?  like he can fly them by himself, right?

ok watched the above video. but also the F-14?

I read an article saying that, by law, a civilian is not allowed to grab the stick of an American fighter jet.  The scenes of the actors in the air had them in the back seat.

Now it would totally not surprise me if Mr. Cruise could legitimately fly one.

20 minutes ago, mchookem said:

ok i have a dumb question...

why did some of the planes have two naval aviators and others only had one? Rooster, Hangman and Maverick flew alone but then you had Phoenix and Bob, Payback and Fanboy, etc.

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I can answer you question, kinda. It depends on the mission. There are single seat and tandem seat versions of the Super Hornet. Tandem seat obviously has a RIO to take care of business with weps. Solo would be more pure fighter mode with enough electronics to get rid of Bob.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I can answer you question, kinda. It depends on the mission. There are single seat and tandem seat versions of the Super Hornet. Tandem seat obviously has a RIO to take care of business with weps. Solo would be more pure fighter mode with enough electronics to get rid of Bob.

Correct. In summary mission parameters would determine which model is used. The new term though is WSO (Wizzo) Weapon Systems Officer as opposed to RIO Radar Intercept Officer. WSO is probably more accurate with today’s fighters.

• Hook 'Em 2

Watched the OG tonight to prep for the sequel tomorrow. I have not watched it since probably ‘95.

The music during the flight scenes had us rolling. It was either some middle school level Casio keyboard tune or a weird new age wanky guitar solo.

The sequel has to be better because there’s nothing to the original.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Watched the OG tonight to prep for the sequel tomorrow. I have not watched it since probably ‘95.

The music during the flight scenes had us rolling. It was either some middle school level Casio keyboard tune or a weird new age wanky guitar solo.

The sequel has to be better because there’s nothing to the original.

Wow.  You guys are cool.

Just got out, it was awesome. Except for when they were training for the 9g maneuver and a stupid kid in the theater pulled the fire alarm. We had to wait 40 minutes for the firefighters to come, and even after they came they couldn't turn off the strobe light so we had to finish the movie with the strobe light on.

• Rage+1 4

I liked it better than the original. I thought the first half dragged a little but they really stuck the landing. 

And I love Jennifer Connely but I just didn't feel the chemistry between her and Maverick. That whole plot line just felt forced and unnecessary. I guess Kelly Mcgillis looks like a troll now? 

I liked it better than the original. I thought the first half dragged a little but they really stuck the landing. 
And I love Jennifer Connely but I just didn't feel the chemistry between her and Maverick. That whole plot line just felt forced and unnecessary. I guess Kelly Mcgillis looks like a troll now? 

Agreed. The 2nd act dragged for me, but the finale was amazing. The ending was much better than the original, although the dialogue is much, much better in the 1st. I don’t see this one being nearly as quotable.

It was a great paint by numbers popcorn flick that delivered exactly as it was supposed to.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Saw it yesterday and have to say it was pretty damn good.  Pleasantly surprised and definitely recommend.  My nitpiks:

Spoiler

Could the attack run be any bigger ripoff from Star Wars? Very sneaky how they changed the target size from 2m to 3m though.

When they're on the final attack run, I think when Rooster finally gets his shit together and is making the climb, you can see a GoPro mounted on the rear of the aircraft.

I get why they're using F18s and not F35/F22 for the movie, as they weren't going to get that access, but the premise that we don't have Gen5 aircraft to fight their Gen5 aircraft is idiotic, particularly since there is an F35/F22 (I can't tell the difference in passing) in the opening scene of the movie.

The black guy that follows Maverick through the whole movie...that's not how the military works!  Dude can't be running a test flight program, then be a Top Gun instructor/staffer, then be running an aircraft carrier's launch/capture ops.

Aircraft Carrier w/o their support group anywhere in sight, yet cruise missiles are fired from nowhere...and on the same flight path as the planes?

Something they did in the OG and carried over again - refusal to launch support aircraft, and when they do, it's only 1 plane.  That's not how that works at all.

All pretty minor Hollywood stuff and certainly doesn't impact the movie for the masses, just my OCD and understanding of how those ops go.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Just got out, it was awesome. Except for when they were training for the 9g maneuver and a stupid kid in the theater pulled the fire alarm. We had to wait 40 minutes for the firefighters to come, and even after they came they couldn't turn off the strobe light so we had to finish the movie with the strobe light on.

oh fuck that man

It was a great way to pass the time and get your mind off more serious issues. Tom Cruise understands the assignment. As for the nitpicking above, you know with his attention to detail and the consultants for the movie, I'm certain Tom Cruise knows what real military protocol would be but doesn't die on some lonely mountain trying to make sure everything 100% checks out. The 50+ year old Captain was probably a dead giveaway... or the Admiral going down to the beach to go find his pilots..

Oh, there isn't any other actress who plays flirtatious better than Jennifer Connelly. Does the same thing in Blood Diamond, and looks almost the same here.

50 minutes ago, naija said:

Oh, there isn't any other actress who plays flirtatious better than Jennifer Connelly. Does the same thing in Blood Diamond, and looks almost the same here.

in some ways she may be the pinnacle of feminine attraction. 

“Jesus Christ, Maverick—you’re in the Navy.”

Ok—that wasn’t exactly the line. But it was close enough to to be very reminiscent of A Few Good Men.

Otherwise, it was fantastic. I can’t wait to go back and see it again. I could watch the opening sequence a thousand times (and I’m sure I will).

• Hook 'Em 1

d748c3800a3733af3fd1c80eb5f6122d.jpg
  • Drool 1