Top Gun 2

Red Five

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah….an almost superfluous character….but I don’t give a shit.
She’s been near my #1 since I saw her in Labyrinth (we’re about the same age), and she remains there.

Rocketeer JC was peak JC to me..... But I'd take any era JC and I'd kill each and every one of you for it.

1-13.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 3

9 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

Rocketeer JC was peak JC to me..... But I'd take any era JC and I'd kill each and every one of you for it.

Agreed. And this discussion comes up in every thread where she is an actress lol.

I watch that Snowpierecer tv series and she got way too skinny there.....but that face/eyes combo just does it no matter what shape she is in.  Top Gun Penny is pretty damn good though.  

If we're talking about legit plot holes and not just nitpiks:

Spoiler

WTF is this assclown doing chasing pussy when he's got a week to save the world?  Go home and pour over data to make sure every possibility is exhausted? Nah!  Fuck that, let's go sailing for the day!

To be fair, Penny does appear to be A+ quality tail...

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

If we're talking about legit plot holes and not just nitpiks:

Hide contents

WTF is this assclown doing chasing pussy when he's got a week to save the world?  Go home and pour over data to make sure every possibility is exhausted? Nah!  Fuck that, let's go sailing for the day!

To be fair, Penny does appear to be A+ quality tail...

*pore

*It always has been, continues to be, and always will be….undefeated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Nicole44 said:

Just saw it! Loved it! Very well done. Pretty much my row was full of the young people (late teens early twenties) and they seem to like it a lot. Would definitely see again. I love that feeling of leaving the theater when I’ve seen a great movie. 

I was worried about how a sequel type of film would be…I shouldn’t have been. It was well worth the wait…imo. Glad so many Surlies loved it!!!

Because I’m a geek to the core I wore a tshirt re: the original to this one. Lmao.

C14B1FF4-A968-4DE9-B8BC-2F17F5DE15C3.jpeg

Nice shirt!

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't recall the last movie I wanted to go back and see again, but this hits the mark.  The only open seats anywhere within a thousand miles were for a basic showing with sub titles; didn't bother me or the family but I now want to see it with the full Imax/Dolby seat shaking version.

Had a day to process why it was so anxiety inducing and a full on blast.  For me it's when the pilots are in the plane doing what they do, and the camera has a a close up breathing into their mask with FULL ON ADRENALINE, eyes wide as hell, yelling into their comms, while mountains and trees are flying past at low altitude.  JFC that detail, their ability to focus (I know it's fucking fiction, but I forgot) on the task without shitting their pants, was finomenil.

Slower parts were fine, didn't feel slow, just feeding into the bigger story quite well.  Interesting to see how this plays out during award season.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate all sequels, except The Godfather 2.  I went into this with very low expectations, really only saw it cuz the kids begged me to take them and I loved the first one enough to give this a shot. Plot holes were huge, the laws of physics were changed to guidelines, and Goose Jr. would be close to 40 in this timeline... but it was fucking great.  I'm seeing it again Saturday since my wife didn't join us when I saw it the first time.  I insisted she see it and I had no problem going to see it again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back. The theater was packed. Oddly enough the only vacant seat was next to me. I cannot remember that last time I saw a movie in a packed theater. What's even more amazing was the number of older people there. Saw an old man with a cane who took a minute to walk 30 yards. Lady next to us was probably in her 70s. She had to split with her 70 year old husband because they couldn't find 2 seats together when she booked the ticket. She absolutely loved the movie. Said it was better than the first.
In these stupid ass times, if the old people are packing theaters to watch this movie, then you KNOW it's going to be a great movie.
And it fucking is. Yea plot holes are big as shit, like why couldn't they just send a few more tomahawks to take out the SAMs but I digress. Loved it. It is exactly what is needed to feel a little bit of normalcy back to life: a fucking awesome blockbuster movie..
Cannot wait to see Mission Impossible. 
We make fun of Tom Cruise but that man is a fucking national treasure for entertaining the fuck out of us. We are going to severely miss him when he finally dies doing a crazy ass stunt for a movie.

Can’t. Wait. Until. Sunday.

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

We make fun of Tom Cruise but that man is a fucking national treasure for entertaining the fuck out of us. We are going to severely miss him when he finally dies doing a crazy ass stunt for a movie.

CSB: I saw Risky Business at the theater first release, stoned as hell.  High school sex movies were abundant in those days, but this one was different.  I knew Cruise was going to be a star (not to this level or duration though).

Loving Top Gun II made be go down the rabbit hole of Cruise's recent work.  I had no idea the level of stunts the dude was going in MI episodes.  Background videos show he is all about entertaining the audience.  That's refreshing in this world.

Supposedly, he insisted on limited CGI on Top Gun II, and wouldn't do it without Kilmer.  Not sure if true, but hope so.  Also, the producer of Top Gun said he had 30 minutes to pitch a reluctant Cruise on the sequel, but when he sold him, Cruise immediately picked up the phone, and told (not asked) the head of Paramount that they were doing a sequel.  Power.

Lastly, as someone alluded, the studio doing MI sequels 6 and 7 (or 7 and 8 ) must be creaming their shorts with these opening numbers.

Definitely. I was waiting for Danger Zone to start up, and it be a Lady Gaga cover version of it or something. 

All sorts of Top Gun interview snippets floating around social media with the new release and one I saw was Kenny Loggins talking about Danger Zone was originally going to go to Jefferson Starship in the first one.

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

All sorts of Top Gun interview snippets floating around social media with the new release and one I saw was Kenny Loggins talking about Danger Zone was originally going to go to Jefferson Starship in the first one.

What a fucking horrendously bad idea that was. That would have ruined everything.  

Saw it last night. Loved it. They did a helluva job making it feel edge-of-your-seat every time they were in the cockpit.

We took my wife’s parents, her father being an EE that worked optics for Grumman and McDonnell Douglas back in the 80s. He was peak US defense days. We all left the theater loving the movie.

It did a ton of fan service and felt like they said “here just accept this and buckle the fuck up!” Sure there were some massive plot holes they tried to cover up with the old “technology can’t help us, we gotta do this the old fashioned way!” Trope.

For me it took the best parts of top gun, iron eagle, behind enemy lines and Star Wars.

Damn the fighter jet scenes were a blast.

All that to say, JC is a goddamned national treasure. Sweet Jesus she is amazing

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Zone Read said:

I hate all sequels, except The Godfather 2.  I went into this with very low expectations, really only saw it cuz the kids begged me to take them and I loved the first one enough to give this a shot. Plot holes were huge, the laws of physics were changed to guidelines, and Goose Jr. would be close to 40 in this timeline... but it was fucking great.  I'm seeing it again Saturday since my wife didn't join us when I saw it the first time.  I insisted she see it and I had no problem going to see it again.

Really?  Empire Strikes Back?  Aliens?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Huh.

I would have guessed that was Val’s real voice, technology is awesome

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/val-kilmer-top-gun-maverick-voice-artificial-intelligence-1235281512/

Ok links not working here’s the c&p

“Top Gun” fans knew ahead of time that Val Kilmer would be reprising his role of Tom “Iceman” Kazansky in the sequel, but the specifics of the actor’s return were a question mark considering Kilmer lost the ability to speak after undergoing throat cancer treatment in 2014. The script for “Top Gun: Maverick” pulls from Kilmer’s real life, with Iceman also having cancer and communicating through typing. Kilmer gets to say one brief line of dialogue, but his speaking voice was created by artificial intelligence.

Kilmer announced in August 2021 that he had partnered with Sonantic to create an A.I.-powered speaking voice for himself. The actor supplied the company with hours of archival footage featuring his speaking voice that was then fed through the company’s algorithms and turned into a model. According to Forbes, this process was used again for the actor’s “Top Gun: Maverick” appearance.

“In the end, we generated more than 40 different voice models and selected the best, highest-quality, most expressive one,” John Flynn, CTO and cofounder of Sonantic, said in a statement to Forbes. “Those new algorithms are now embedded into our voice engine, so future clients can automatically take advantage of them as well.”

“I’m grateful to the entire team at Sonantic who masterfully restored my voice in a way I’ve never imagined possible,” Kilmer originally said in a statement about the A.I. “As human beings, the ability to communicate is the core of our existence and the side effects from throat cancer have made it difficult for others to understand me. The chance to narrate my story, in a voice that feels authentic and familiar, is an incredibly special gift.”

As Forbes reports: “After cleaning up old audio recordings of Kilmer, [sonantic] used a ‘voice engine’ to teach the voice model how to speak like Kilmer. The engine had around 10 times less data than it would have been given in a typical project, Sonantic said, and it wasn’t enough. The company then decided to come up with new algorithms that could produce a higher-quality voice model using the available data.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

Huh.

Hide contents

I would have guessed that was Val’s real voice, technology is awesome

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/val-kilmer-top-gun-maverick-voice-artificial-intelligence-1235281512/

Ok links not working here’s the c&p

that's actually fucking awesome. i can only imagine that meant a hell of a lot to Val. awesome that Tom demanded Val to be in this movie.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 8:58 PM, Mach 1 said:

Can't recall the last movie I wanted to go back and see again, but this hits the mark.  The only open seats anywhere within a thousand miles were for a basic showing with sub titles; didn't bother me or the family but I now want to see it with the full Imax/Dolby seat shaking version.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:36 PM, crash_davis said:

Just got back. The theater was packed. Oddly enough the only vacant seat was next to me. I cannot remember that last time I saw a movie in a packed theater.

Unpossible, I've been told movie theaters are dead by all kinds of wise surlsters for the past two years...

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Unpossible, I've been told movie theaters are dead by all kinds of wise surlsters for the past two years...

theaters have been dead, especially since covid. over covid, we saw bond, spiderman, dr strange, and one or two more movies, i forget. all those viewings, the theater maybe was 1/4 full at best. we never saw elderly, but i wouldn't expect to see elderly at any of those movies except for bond. 

this movie is a definitely an anomaly. after 2 years, i think people are fed up and want some normalcy. this movie is definitely getting people off their asses to go back into a theater. whether they keep coming for new movies, no idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

theaters have been dead, especially since covid. over covid, we saw bond, spiderman, dr strange, and one or two more movies, i forget. all those viewings, the theater maybe was 1/4 full at best. we never saw elderly, but i wouldn't expect to see elderly at any of those movies except for bond. 

this movie is a definitely an anomaly. after 2 years, i think people are fed up and want some normalcy. this movie is definitely getting people off their asses to go back into a theater. whether they keep coming for new movies, no idea.

I've seen several movies over the past year, starting with Black Widow last summer.  There have been lots of full theaters.

The bottom line is that theaters are not dead.  There are lots of dumb opinions in that thread, and there are also a handful of people saying "they'll be back because there are still a lot of people that like seeing bigtime blockbuster movies, at the theater."

Bigtime blockbuster movies like Top Gun 2, for example.  It's not like this will be the last one, ever.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've seen several movies over the past year, starting with Black Widow last summer.  There have been lots of full theaters.

The bottom line is that theaters are not dead.  There are lots of dumb opinions in that thread, and there are also a handful of people saying "they'll be back because there are still a lot of people that like seeing bigtime blockbuster movies, at the theater."

Bigtime blockbuster movies like Top Gun 2, for example.  It's not like this will be the last one, ever.

dude, just read numerous headlines for the last two years. theaters have been struggling.

here's one from jan.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hudson-valley/news/2022/01/07/movie-theaters-still-struggling-amid-covid-19-pandemic

"As a whole for the year of 2021, we're down about 81%. Probably for the second half of the year, from Memorial Day on, we're down around 64%," said Bistor.

i don't know about you but down 81% pretty fucking significant. 

Just now, crash_davis said:

dude, just read numerous headlines for the last two years. theaters have been struggling.

here's one from jan.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hudson-valley/news/2022/01/07/movie-theaters-still-struggling-amid-covid-19-pandemic

"As a whole for the year of 2021, we're down about 81%. Probably for the second half of the year, from Memorial Day on, we're down around 64%," said Bistor.

i don't know about you but down 81% pretty fucking significant. 

And yet movie theaters aren't dead.

Which is my point.