Top Gun 2

Red Five

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And yet movie theaters aren't dead.

Which is my point.

too lazy to find a more recent article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-10/closed-movie-theaters-leave-void-from-small-towns-to-big-cities

December 10, 2021, 6:00 AM CSTUpdated onDecember 10, 2021, 10:08 AM CST

Almost two years into the Covid-19 pandemic, about 630 movie theaters remain closed across North America. And many may never reopen.

if you mean literally dead, then no there are still some open. all of the movie theaters would have to close to meet this definition. if you mean figuratively dead, then yea, the movie theaters have been pretty fucking dead.

no one has ever insinuated the first. ever. most everyone has insinuated the second, which is true. numerous closings. significant reduction in attendance, revenue, operating margins and stock price.

but sure, i guess you are right, they are not DEAD. congrats.

biggest Memorial Day opening ever surpassing one of the Pirates (don't worry Johnny, you also had a good week lol).

i'm surprised it's Tom's first >$100 million opening. not bad for an old dude 😁

https://www.vulture.com/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-breaks-memorial-day-box-office-records.html

"It now stands as the 59-year-old superstar’s best-reviewed film, his biggest debut to date, and the first time in an already superlative-laden career that one of Cruise’s films has grossed over $100 million in a single weekend."

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

too lazy to find a more recent article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-10/closed-movie-theaters-leave-void-from-small-towns-to-big-cities

December 10, 2021, 6:00 AM CSTUpdated onDecember 10, 2021, 10:08 AM CST

Almost two years into the Covid-19 pandemic, about 630 movie theaters remain closed across North America. And many may never reopen.

if you mean literally dead, then no there are still some open. all of the movie theaters would have to close to meet this definition. if you mean figuratively dead, then yea, the movie theaters have been pretty fucking dead.

no one has ever insinuated the first. ever. most everyone has insinuated the second, which is true. numerous closings. significant reduction in attendance, revenue, operating margins and stock price.

but sure, i guess you are right, they are not DEAD. congrats.

They're coming back.  Likely it won't ever be like it was pre-pandemic, but they were already looking to find new value propositions and new business models, and many have been successful at that.  And I expect them to continue to evolve.

But what still remains obvious, as I've stated maybe a dozen times now, is that a lot of people still like to see the big blockbusters at the movie theater.  

Movie theaters have suffered during the pandemic, just like dozens of other industries. That's nothing novel, unique, or surprising.

But the idea that the movie theatergoing experience is dead, or was ever going to be completely dead, is silly.  This current movie of this current topic proves it, and it will hardly be the last one.

Anyway, I'll be seeing this particular movie at the not-dead movie theater tonight, and I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by utee94

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i repeat... it's going to be so awesome if this is the movie that finally wins him an Oscar 😄

It'll clean up with the sound and technical awards, and will probably get a best picture nom, which is astounding to type. 

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They're coming back.  Likely it won't ever be like it was pre-pandemic, but they were already looking to find new value propositions and new business models, and many have been successful at that.  And I expect them to continue to evolve.

But what still remains obvious, as I've stated maybe a dozen times now, is that a lot of people still like to see the big blockbusters at the movie theater.  

Movie theaters have suffered during the pandemic, just like dozens of other industries. That's nothing novel, unique, or surprising.

But the idea that the movie theatergoing experience is dead, or was ever going to be completely dead, is silly.  This current movie of this current topic proves it, and it will hardly be the last one.

Anyway, I'll be seeing this particular movie at the not-dead movie theater tonight, and I'm looking forward to it.

0b0445990e9c36e5c56c9ddd11832b41.gif&f=1

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

I was thinking about something, and it may be a bit of a stretch but I think there is something to it. Bring back Superman, and he's kind of an asshole and frowns most of the time. Not real crazy about saving people. Bring back Luke Skywalker, and he's an old bitter asshole who can't be bothered to help his friends and family. Bring back Han and he's divorced and sad and then dies after like 45 minutes. 

Bring back Maverick, and he kicks everyone's ass for two hours while smiling the entire time and banging the world's hottest milf. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This was great. Makes me wish Cruise was making these for the last 20 years and not the MI movies. 

Bruh. I love Top Gun and jets....but MI movies are pretty bad ass also for what they are.  

I'm sure Cruise has already cloned himself so we can see these movies forever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Every scene with any dialogue with a person in a military uniform was completely fucking stupid and cringy. Loved every second of it though. Will see it again with my other kid soon.

And JC… fuuuuuck. What else is there to say about her?

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Her What walking through the door? 

Don't get me wrong, she averages up that 9.5 to a 10 in other ways. Just stunning. But them jeans were baggy as hell while she walked through the door. 

yeah she isn’t winning an ass competition. still one of the sexiest women alive. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:06 PM, Wade said:

So, my nephew flies the F22 Raptor...nothing more to add, just wanted to get that brag out there.

Fantastic.

One of my good friends from high school went to Air Force Academy, played on the AF baseball team while he was there; finished 1st in his flight school, flew F-15s out of Okinawa during Afghanistan and the second Gulf War; transitioned to F-22s when they became operational, was an F-22 instructor for a while and is now a Colonel at Edwards.

I still can’t really believe it because this is the same guy who would light his farts on fire when we were on baseball road trips in high school. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I know the plot doesn't really matter, but I was wondering

Spoiler

why didn't they just make Maverick the team lead from the get go? He's literally flying circles around the world's best fighter pilots. And it was pretty much a suicide mission anyway, and they seemed ready to be done with him. "If only we had the Michael Jordan of pilots, and also wouldn't mind losing said pilot in battle."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For posters like this guy who are bagging on the movie, I feel it’s important to describe the importance of the original Top Gun movie to this country. And apologize for the novel, but I’d like to share a personal story to demonstrate it.

I saw the original Top Gun with my dad, who was an Air Force pilot for twenty years. It was one of the few movies I ever saw with him, and it was also the last.

When that movie came out, it was legendary for several reasons. The fighter scenes at the time were very advanced Hollywood cinema, and it was game-changing from that perspective.

But more importantly, the country had gone through the Civil Rights movement, the Vietnam war, the Iran hostage crisis, the 70’s inflation surge, and the country was still pretty negative about the military.

That movie recaptured American pride. My dad enjoyed the movie and walked out happier than I’d seen him in a awhile. I found out a long time later that he had ejected from his fighter jet during the Korean war and broken his back on the canopy, just like Goose died in the movie. He was in traction for a year in Japan. He never said a word about it after the movie. Like many of the greatest generation, he just quietly kept it to himself.

The other incredibly important impact of that movie was that it was cool again to be associated with the military. My dad came home from Vietnam being spit on and yelled at by his country. After Top Gun, our military folks received a lot more respect. I actually had two close friends I worked with who were engineers who literally quit right after the movie came out and joined the military as fighter pilots.

That movie had a major impact, and this one was a nice way for all of us to remember it all.

I was alive in the 80s. I grew up on the movie. It was car trips, family time, etc. I love the original. I just have enough of a brain to know when holly wood is giving me the same story. They basically were as lazy as they could be and its all for 5 minutes of action. I'm sorry that you get so excited over a shit sandwich. I love the original but can look at the second product and see that it is shit. 

• Fuck You 3

This movie won't have the cultural impact of the original, and many of the shortfalls mentioned above have merit.

But so what.  It's the best movie I've seen in years, and I look forward to the last installment of the trilogy in 2050.  

If you don't like this movie, you have darkness in your soul.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

This movie won't have the cultural impact of the original, and many of the shortfalls mentioned above have merit.

But so what.  It's the best movie I've seen in years, and I look forward to the last installment of the trilogy in 2050.  

If you don't like this movie, you have darkness in your soul.

Ok, I am being critical of it from purely a review viewpoint. If you can acknowledge the pitfalls, and appreciate for other reasons, the hell yea do it. Appreciating it for nostalgia is totally ok. I like really shitty movies too, Tremors comes to mind immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a movie rule I apply that helps me appreciate and enjoy movies with flaws. I call it the Outset Rule.

If a movie from the outset makes it clear that it’s going to veer from reality substantially, or follow unusual plot flow, I’m fine with it. That’s why I love Tarantino movies. But if the movie tries to be really realistic and sensible, but then half way thru starts becoming ridiculous, then I hate it. The Brice Willis film with the jet at the end comes to mind. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have a movie rule I apply that helps me appreciate and enjoy movies with flaws. I call it the Outset Rule.

If a movie from the outset makes it clear that it’s going to veer from reality substantially, or follow unusual plot flow, I’m fine with it. That’s why I love Tarantino movies. But if the movie tries to be really realistic and sensible, but then half way thru starts becoming ridiculous, then I hate it. The Brice Willis film with the jet at the end comes to mind. 

I think it pisses me off a little that they tried to make this movie a legit sequel.

It is the same plot line with Tom as the instructor. I mean they even clearly defined an Iceman/Mav relationship with the young guns and brought gooses kid in.

They used the same bomb and run that star wars created.

It led to 5 minutes fo action at the very end.

I find it offensive and I think thats a little different than your Outset rule. Tarantino films are fantastic. This was a moneygrab and theyre laughing in our faces as we eat it up.

• Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

When they were on the sailboat and Mav was struggling, I really wanted Penny to echo Demi Moore with a line like "Jesus Christ, you're in the Navy, Maverick!"

i mean... she did, didn't she??

200w.gif.46f32d87786c3a6fb846029c35af394a.gif

and he replied with something like 'yeah but i'm a pilot, i land on boats, i don't sail them!' 

• Hook 'Em 5