Top Gun 2

Red Five

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

For posters like this guy who are bagging on the movie, I feel it’s important to describe the importance of the original Top Gun movie to this country. And apologize for the novel, but I’d like to share a personal story to demonstrate it.

I saw the original Top Gun with my dad, who was an Air Force pilot for twenty years. It was one of the few movies I ever saw with him, and it was also the last.

When that movie came out, it was legendary for several reasons. The fighter scenes at the time were very advanced Hollywood cinema, and it was game-changing from that perspective.

But more importantly, the country had gone through the Civil Rights movement, the Vietnam war, the Iran hostage crisis, the 70’s inflation surge, and the country was still pretty negative about the military.

That movie recaptured American pride. My dad enjoyed the movie and walked out happier than I’d seen him in a awhile. I found out a long time later that he had ejected from his fighter jet during the Korean war and broken his back on the canopy, just like Goose died in the movie. He was in traction for a year in Japan. He never said a word about it after the movie. Like many of the greatest generation, he just quietly kept it to himself.

The other incredibly important impact of that movie was that it was cool again to be associated with the military. My dad came home from Vietnam being spit on and yelled at by his country. After Top Gun, our military folks received a lot more respect. I actually had two close friends I worked with who were engineers who literally quit right after the movie came out and joined the military as fighter pilots.

That movie had a major impact, and this one was a nice way for all of us to remember it all.

Someone upthread mentioned that there were a lot of older people at his showing.  I am a few states north of y’all and my small rural theater was packed with old folks when we saw the movie a week ago. Perhaps it ties back to your thoughts. 

14 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Someone upthread mentioned that there were a lot of older people at his showing.  I am a few states north of y’all and my small rural theater was packed with old folks when we saw the movie a week ago. Perhaps it ties back to your thoughts. 

I imagine plenty of 30-40 year-olds loved the original.  they’re all 65-75 now. 

8 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Ok, I am being critical of it from purely a review viewpoint. If you can acknowledge the pitfalls, and appreciate for other reasons, the hell yea do it. Appreciating it for nostalgia is totally ok. I like really shitty movies too, Tremors comes to mind immediately. 

See, now you’re just trolling. Specifically trolling me I think. 

Gotta say, this was a pretty cool way to watch this gem - Bonus points for being next to an air guard station with 20 A-10s parked right out front and a bar called The Landing Strip across the street, complete with a P-40 on the roof!

e544fdb92eb636465d40b460c829f273.jpg

Anyway, great popcorn flick dripping with nostalgia… but a question for you all:

Why no Gen-5 fighters for us in the film?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Gotta say, this was a pretty cool way to watch this gem - Bonus points for being next to an air guard station with 20 A-10s parked right out front and a bar called The Landing Strip across the street, complete with a P-40 on the roof!

e544fdb92eb636465d40b460c829f273.jpg

Anyway, great popcorn flick dripping with nostalgia… but a question for you all:

Why no Gen-5 fighters for us in the film?

Wasn’t there some explanation that the radar jamming tech the “enemy” would render new jets blind in this mission? 

9 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

Wasn’t there some explanation that the radar jamming tech the “enemy” would render new jets blind in this mission? 

In the first briefing about the mission and the target, Hamm's character explained to Maverick that the valley was jammed to block GPS signals, thus I don't think that Tomahawks could have been used to take out the main target, but I'm still not clear as to why they weren't used on the SAM stations other than to retain the element of surprise. 

• Like 1

did you see mach 10?

I did, most of the line was outside, so Mach 10 was the last thing I saw.

Had the baby with us so I’m gonna need a focused rewatch in the home theater anyway, but yeah I wasn’t pleased that the wife “forgot to ask for popcorn and candy” the first time I went
  • Rage+1 1

$86 million over the weekend and only down 32% is really good. This thing is going to have serious staying power. Not sure I have had the type of 3rd week conversations about friends seeing a movie because of hype in a long time. 

Edited by Dr. Teeth
  • Hook 'Em 1

here's the VF article

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-culture-war

white supremacy isn't mentioned once. this is my shocked face 🙄 

this 'fight' seems to be getting picked by one side. the tone of the comments from 'media' in the article is hysterical. they are really trying lol.

yeah...i'm sure 'cheering on a straight white male military hero' is exactly what Cruise was going for 😂

Edited by mchookem

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

here's the VF article

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-culture-war

white supremacy isn't mentioned once. this is my shocked face 🙄 

this 'fight' seems to be getting picked by one side. the tone of the comments from 'media' in the article is hysterical. they are really trying lol.

yeah...i'm sure 'cheering on a straight white male military hero' is exactly what Cruise was going for 😂

Idiots going to idiot.  News at 11.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

On 5/29/2022 at 6:16 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I liked it better than the original. I thought the first half dragged a little but they really stuck the landing. 

And I love Jennifer Connely but I just didn't feel the chemistry between her and Maverick. That whole plot line just felt forced and unnecessary. I guess Kelly Mcgillis looks like a troll now? 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:13 AM, futureman said:

it’s worse than that. 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That’s an insult to trolls

On 5/29/2022 at 5:22 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah because she was total smoke in the 80s... 

On 5/30/2022 at 6:44 AM, CooterBrown said:

During our rewatch of the OG on Saturday, my wife made the comment that McGillis is unattractive and manly. Never thought about it before but I think her being manly with the deep voice fits it being a totally gay movie so Tom could get his freak on, on screen without upsetting Xenu.

She was NEVER hot.  She was a San Diego 5 at best.  Just meh/average.  Rewatch the OG and take a hard, hard look at her, and imagine fucking that without the benefit of beer goggles.  It's a "nope". 

And, not that anybody gives a shit, but the house she lived in is now a coffee and pie shop in Oceanside. 

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

She was NEVER hot.  She was a San Diego 5 at best.  Just meh/average.  Rewatch the OG and take a hard, hard look at her, and imagine fucking that without the benefit of beer goggles.  It's a "nope". 

And, not that anybody gives a shit, but the house she lived in is now a coffee and pie shop in Oceanside. 

Might need to check that out when I'm out in Southern California for a wedding next month!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Might need to check that out when I'm out in Southern California for a wedding next month!

I stayed at the hotel where the original Lost that Lovin Feeling scene was shot.  Room is still awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, Red Five said:

I know the plot doesn't really matter, but I was wondering

Hide contents

why didn't they just make Maverick the team lead from the get go? He's literally flying circles around the world's best fighter pilots. And it was pretty much a suicide mission anyway, and they seemed ready to be done with him. "If only we had the Michael Jordan of pilots, and also wouldn't mind losing said pilot in battle."

Spoiler

uh, because he's a maverick? And because he's sixty? But for the test run proving it could be done and being totally out of options, they never would have considered it.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:19 AM, futureman said:

yeah she isn’t winning an ass competition. still one of the sexiest women alive. 

Fun fact - JC is the same age (51) as Rue McClanahan was on season 1 of the Golden Girls.

bf425e29430581ac9039d89fe775e88b--the-go

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Fun fact - JC is the same age (51) as Rue McClanahan was on season 1 of the Golden Girls.

bf425e29430581ac9039d89fe775e88b--the-go

I was watching Major League last night and was explaining to my son who Bob Uecker is, and found out he was probably about my age (53) when that movie was made. He's looked 75 for 35 years 

harrydoyle.jpg.ab2a7ca2317b8458a33cafd5f07449b7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2