Top Gun 2

Red Five

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

if this were today and he went after jennifer connolly she would be an older woman. think about THAT. 

Brimley was 49 when filming, IIRC. Paul Rudd is 53. Tom Cruise is a full decade older than Brimley, when Brimley was playing a senior in an old folks home. 

She was NEVER hot.  She was a San Diego 5 at best.  Just meh/average.  Rewatch the OG and take a hard, hard look at her, and imagine fucking that without the benefit of beer goggles.  It's a "nope". 

0522bd4a7637a8feb46acd33f1d3d168.jpg

Same, she never moved the needle for me.

Watched it again over the weekend. First time was on cinemark’s “X D” screen, second time was on an AMC IMAX. Have to say the IMAX thing doesn’t impress like it once did. I think our overall experience was better the first time.
Enjoyed it as much as the first time. Has staying power for sure. But I think we’re done on viewings for now.

Jocko podcast had Dave Burke on:  former top gun student, top gun instructor, and then head instructor.  Only guy trained in the 16, 18, 22, and F-35.  He loved it!  Cool listening to him talk about how accurate it was that the instructors completely mopped the floor with the students.  Just obliterate them over and over and over.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

saw it second time last night. during the initial mission briefing some comment is made about why they can’t use the F22 but I missed it again. something about GPS? or maybe that was all it was. 

Radar jamming that fucks the GPS

57 minutes ago, futureman said:

saw it second time last night. during the initial mission briefing some comment is made about why they can’t use the F22 but I missed it again. something about GPS? or maybe that was all it was. 

That and F22's don't have ground strike capabilities.  I don't think.

The F35 would work, but it's a shitbird.

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Saw it, liked it, took me back to 1986, and that was a good thing.  Pretty sure I saw the original in THX in Austin, probably at that theater used to be on Ben White east of I35.  Saw it with my son, so I’ve come full circle. 

The Rebel?  Nice!

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Dave Burke also did a job of "clarifying" the justification on that one as well - '18 is the only navy bird that seats two.  They wanted real footage from a real cockpit.  Only plane that can do that for the movie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2022 at 3:42 PM, Dbeasy said:

I have a movie rule I apply that helps me appreciate and enjoy movies with flaws. I call it the Outset Rule.

If a movie from the outset makes it clear that it’s going to veer from reality substantially, or follow unusual plot flow, I’m fine with it. That’s why I love Tarantino movies. But if the movie tries to be really realistic and sensible, but then half way thru starts becoming ridiculous, then I hate it. The Brice Willis film with the jet at the end comes to mind. 

Ummmmm...

MV5BZjk3YmZhMDAtOWUzMS00YjE5LTkxNzAtY2I1

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, Party_Taco said:

I did, most of the line was outside, so Mach 10 was the last thing I saw.

Had the baby with us so I’m gonna need a focused rewatch in the home theater anyway, but yeah I wasn’t pleased that the wife “forgot to ask for popcorn and candy” the first time I went emoji19.png

If someone near me brought a fucking six week old to my first viewing of this movie, and then came in and out multiple times from the concession stand…I might have fucking murdered them. Talk about a total lack of consideration for anyone around you. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Saw it last night at Bullock imax.  Can’t remember ever enjoying a movie in the theater more than that.  It was awesome.  They knew exactly how to thread the needle of action, nostalgia, realism, and fantasy.  It was great.  

Before the movie started I did have a dark thought about how easy it would be for some sicko to step into the theater and mow everybody down.  But I recovered quickly and got lost in the action.  The comment above about Cruise smiling and it being positive was spot on; we needed a movie that was almost pure joy.  The hero is a hero, nobody dies, the good guys win, and the hero gets the girl.  Money.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Saw it last night at Bullock imax.  Can’t remember ever enjoying a movie in the theater more than that.  It was awesome.  They knew exactly how to thread the needle of action, nostalgia, realism, and fantasy.  It was great.  

Before the movie started I did have a dark thought about how easy it would be for some sicko to step into the theater and mow everybody down.  But I recovered quickly and got lost in the action.  The comment above about Cruise smiling and it being positive was spot on; we needed a movie that was almost pure joy.  The hero is a hero, nobody dies, the good guys win, and the hero gets the girl.  Money.

Exactly. Movies are escapism.
I’ve always remembered a conversation with my wife’s uncle, about hating being dragged to see Howard’s End. This guy lived in a nice west austin home, sat on the AMA board - a sophisticated genius of good taste. But he said “I hated it. When I go see a movie, I want to see car chases and explosions and boobs and the good guy beating the bad guys. It’s an escape for me - the rest of my life is serious.”
So, no apologies from me for liking escapism at the movies. I deal with enough serious shit. When I go to a movie, gimme an escape. This movie hits that bullseye.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

That and F22's don't have ground strike capabilities.  I don't think.

The F35 would work, but it's a shitbird.

The Navy doesn't fly the F-22 correct? And for filming purposes they needed a dual seat aircraft which the F-35 is a single cockpit.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

...Before the movie started I did have a dark thought about how easy it would be for some sicko to step into the theater and mow everybody down.  But I recovered quickly and got lost in the action...

That thought crossed my mind as well. I actually lived in Denver a few years ago for 18 months, where they had the Aurora cinema shooting a few years before, the Columbine shit, and I think one other one. (Didn't think about it much when I lived there.) I don't see many movies anymore, so the thought did cross my mind for a second before getting lost in the film.

When I saw the guns used in the 21 gun salute at the funeral, Uvalde passed through my mind again, before getting lost in the film soon after.

I did realize that my heart was pounding like crazy late in act 2 / early in the 3rd act. My resting heart rate is usually really low and I was in a recliner, so I thought the pounding was pretty funny. I checked the next day and my heart rate fluctuated between 67 bpm and 105 bpm in the 2nd hour of the film, so I definitely got lost in the film again. 

I will be seeing it again in a cinema. (At least one more time, maybe more.)

• Hook 'Em 1

that movie was both the corniest thing i have ever seen and the most impressive commitment and effort to getting the real thing i have ever seen.

saw it at bullock imax yesterday and the jet shit was absolutely awesome (save for the stupid shit banking a sharp turn at Mach 9 in the beginning in the darkstar).  tom may be a strange dude but he is unbelievable when it comes to this stuff.

the writing/acting/slomo kitschy stuff was somewhat laughable but it was a pretty awesome ride in the jets.

f-22's absolutely have ground strike capabilities as do f-35s.  the problem is if you want to film the actors being stretched in the cockpit for real, someone has to fly the plane and the f-18 is the two seater that allows for that illusion.  also, f-22 is strictly air force with the navy opting for f-35c lightning 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly. Movies are escapism.
I’ve always remembered a conversation with my wife’s uncle, about hating being dragged to see Howard’s End. This guy lived in a nice west austin home, sat on the AMA board - a sophisticated genius of good taste. But he said “I hated it. When I go see a movie, I want to see car chases and explosions and boobs and the good guy beating the bad guys. It’s an escape for me - the rest of my life is serious.”
So, no apologies from me for liking escapism at the movies. I deal with enough serious shit. When I go to a movie, gimme an escape. This movie hits that bullseye.

One time when I visited my engineering team in Mumbai I was staying at a hotel with a bunch of Bollywood stars. Everyone in the hotel was extremely excited about their presence. 

I asked my colleague why Bollywood movies were so popular, especially since the plots of many of them were basically the same. He said it was the only way for the really poor people in India to escape from reality. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, mchookem said:

here's the VF article

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-culture-war

white supremacy isn't mentioned once. this is my shocked face 🙄 

this 'fight' seems to be getting picked by one side. the tone of the comments from 'media' in the article is hysterical. they are really trying lol.

yeah...i'm sure 'cheering on a straight white male military hero' is exactly what Cruise was going for 😂

I'm typically not a "fuck the media" type, but for fucking fuck's sake... FUCK the media for this kind of bullshit.

Here we have one thing FINALLY that pretty much everyone agrees is awesome and here comes the "HERE'S WHY YOU SHOULD DISAGREE WITH PEOPLE ABOUT THE THING WE ALL THINK IS AWESOME" article.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm typically not a "fuck the media" type, but for fucking fuck's sake... FUCK the media for this kind of bullshit.

Here we have one thing FINALLY that pretty much everyone agrees is awesome and here comes the "HERE'S WHY YOU SHOULD DISAGREE WITH PEOPLE ABOUT THE THING WE ALL THINK IS AWESOME" article.

I'm very much a fuck the media type, because they ALWAYS do this kind of bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just got out of viewing number three and I found it just as good as one and two. Despite knowing exactly what happens, I still tensed up during the battle and the grin never left my face. 

As stated above, this film knows exactly what it means to be and is a fucking blast. 

Oh, and Jennifer Connelly…

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I noticed Don Simpson’s name during the opening credits. Has it been on anything else since he died?

No...The Rock was his last credited release as I recall.  Crediting in TG Maverick was purely an homage from Cruise and Bruckheimer due to Simpson's contributions to the success of the first movie.  Pretty cool gesture.

11 hours ago, McCroskey said:

No...The Rock was his last credited release as I recall.  Crediting in TG Maverick was purely an homage from Cruise and Bruckheimer due to Simpson's contributions to the success of the first movie.  Pretty cool gesture.

Yeah I loved seeing the "Simpson/Bruckheimer" logo at the start. Got all of the nostalgia feels going from the get-go.

I hope that beautiful bastard Don Simpson is doing neverending rails somewhere in the afterlife...

Edited by oSuJeff97

13 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

I think it was Southpark... The wife and several of her friends worked there and at the other theatres owned by the same chain around Austin. I didn't pay to see a movie  from '86 to '90

Yeah, most of the Anderson High drama department worked at The Arbor.  I didn't pay for a movie over pretty much the exact same span.