Top Gun 2

Red Five

Got my money’s worth.  I’m not suggesting anyone be nominated for an Oscar, although a Jennifer Connelly nomination would not be disappointing, but that was a couple of hours well spent.

Spoiler

Honestly thought Cruise was going to die saving Rooster, but if that happened we would be denied Top Gun 3: Maverick Flying Combat Missions While Collecting Social Security.

50 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Got my money’s worth.  I’m not suggesting anyone be nominated for an Oscar, although a Jennifer Connelly nomination would not be disappointing, but that was a couple of hours well spent.

Hide contents

Honestly thought Cruise was going to die saving Rooster, but if that happened we would be denied Top Gun 3: Maverick Flying Combat Missions While Collecting Social Security.

oh come on, Jennifer Connolly is a queen but this was not a great character for her. she was there to look good and give Maverick another target.  from an acting standpoint she wasn’t anywhere close to Maddie Bowen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

oh come on, Jennifer Connolly is a queen but this was not a great character for her. she was there to look good and give Maverick another target.  from an acting standpoint she wasn’t anywhere close to Maddie Bowen. 

I don’t base my fictitious Oscar votes on the quality of the acting when it comes to best female in a supporting role.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Finally caught it this afternoon. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Was kind of hoping they would have rolled out Clarence Gilyard Jr. as Jon Hamm’s sidekick. Will second the posts about getting older folk to the movies. The couple next to my wife and I was 70ish and it was the first time they had dealt with the recliner seats that have been in place for half a decade here.

• Haha 1

Saw it finally today and f’ing loved it. Great movie. Great action. The flight scenes were incredible since most were 100% real. It hit the nostalgia bone just enough but actually gave a great story on its own that wasn’t a 100% homage to the last one. Bravo Tom Cruise. Keep making great action films until your dying breath. 

saw it second time last night. during the initial mission briefing some comment is made about why they can’t use the F22 but I missed it again. something about GPS? or maybe that was all it was. 

Heard the F22 has a problem with its inverted flight tanks. Rumor has it the F22 can’t do a negative G push over.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, Napoleon said:

I checked the next day and my heart rate fluctuated between 67 bpm and 105 bpm in the 2nd hour of the film, so I definitely got lost in the film again. 

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:25 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Just got back from my 2nd viewing. It still rocks.

I think I enjoyed it more the 2nd time.  The emotional scenes seemed more emotional, and I picked up on a few things I missed the first time around.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't miss out on seeing it on the big screen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Possible unintended spoilers below, but I'm trying to keep it vague:

Saw it last night and definitely enjoyed it.  Worth seeing on the big screen for sure.  Felt like I was holding on to my seat during some of the flying sequences.  Now, are there parts of this movie that are cheesy, bordering on cringe.  Yeah.  A bit.  I don't go in much for nostalgia, despite the fact that I was 13 when the  original came out and couldn't get enough of it.  But I got the idea that TG2 didn't take itself too seriously and that some of the patriotic bravado was counterbalanced by Cruise, the old guy now, seeing it for what it was and remembering how he and his cohorts were at that age, when you think you're way more hot shit than you are.  The reason this movie works so well is due to Tom Cruise, full stop.  Forget all the personal dirty laundry over the years; he's still money in the bank as a movie star, and this movie bears that out.

Spoiler

I definitely appreciated the football bit.  I mean, I cackled loudly.  I definitely took it as a tongue in cheek scene, which validated all the jorts/beefcake jokes my kids and I made on the way to the movie theater. 

Again, the flying scenes were intense and well done.  The plot was something you have to chalk up to what the sequel to one of the ultimate 80s action flicks looks like when it's made 30+ years later.  I turned to my wife at one point and said,

Spoiler

this is, word for word, the plot of Star Wars.

Edited by dcbc

Anyone notice Bob was sporting the Anthony Edwards patented t-shirt during the sports scene where everyone else was playing without? I swear I thought Bob was Tom Holland when he first appeared on screen. 

Dude to me he looks like a mirror image of Bill Pullman…

I even asked my wife if that was Lone Starr’s kid

More than any other movie he’s been in, as Bob, he looked just like his dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Dude to me he looks like a mirror image of Bill Pullman…

I even asked my wife if that was Lone Starr’s kid

More than any other movie he’s been in, as Bob, he looked just like his dad

I’m a huge Mel Brooks fan, but am not sure that I have watched “Space Balls” all the way through…

But when I saw BOB, I immediately wondered if he was Pullman’s kid as well. The credits confirmed it for me. (Don’t have a wife.)

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:01 AM, smuggs said:

Fun fact - JC is the same age (51) as Rue McClanahan was on season 1 of the Golden Girls.

Went to the movie with my teenage kids.  They thought JC's character was "gross".  My daughter:  "Eeew. Her skin looks like a jeans jacket."

They must think I'm hideous.  

• Haha 2

Went and saw it today for my 50th birthday with my son and dad. I was a month shy of 14 when the original came out and my son is a month shy of 13. My dad is a 74 year old retired Air Force and Netjets pilot so going with the two of them was special (and the plan ever since it was announced).

It would have been impossible for it to live up to the hype but it was damn close. Like 95%. Killer nostalgia and action scenes. I got amped when Maverick showed up on the computer screen and did the mission in 2:15.

JC is one of my all timers and she is juuuuust starting to show her age but she is still incredible. She may be the reason that blue eyed busty brunettes have always been my wheelhouse.

Tom Cruise is a wacko but he’s a damn fine movie star. The trailer for the next MI looks great.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1