Top Gun 2

Red Five

I think I was 9 or 10 when I saw it at the theater with family.  Was too young to be annoyed by the mcgillis subplot, I just though it was part of the training school.  

I think some of y’all here are a few years older than me so probably of an age back then where you loved jets, but you also liked cock.  NTTAWWT.  

As corny as it was, it was a rare summer blockbuster that appealed to young and old, male and female, action thriller and love story, daddy issues, good soundtrack, patriotic undertones, badass aerial photography for the era, and the wild card———-meg Ryan at her most meg Ryan-est

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

know people that have worked with him on the back end (no homo) and without exception, everyone says he's excellent to work with.  Smart, disciplined, professional, gets along great with everyone and a legitimate good guy.  That's what makes the space people religion so odd.

I remember reading that he probably could have played professional pool thanks to his prep for Color of Money. Had a table in his apartment, and played hours and hours each day.

37 minutes ago, retread said:

I remember reading that he probably could have played professional pool thanks to his prep for Color of Money. Had a table in his apartment, and played hours and hours each day.

His Conan interview was great. They were discussing his Les Grossman character and he told how he had these random skills he'd trained (hip hop/dance) for and wanted to blend them into a character... with fat hands.

On 7/18/2019 at 3:48 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

This.

Dude's not making any Oscar-worthy stuff any more, but I can't think of the last movie he made that wasn't entertaining as hell.

I'm guessing Top Gun 2 will be no different.

The stuff he wanted to make him Oscar worthy was pure shit like Eye's Wide Shut, Magnolia, and Vanilla Sky.

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The stuff he wanted to make him Oscar worthy was pure shit like Eye's Wide Shut, Magnolia, and Vanilla Sky.

Far and Away is pretty good iirc. Been a long time since I've seen it.

Maybe not Oscar material, but enjoyable. Ron Howard film with young Cruise/Kidman. 

2 hours ago, retread said:

being an actor would be fun, just being a fucking chameleon and learning new shit for your roles.  “you’re gonna be a pool hustler in this next movie.  we’ll pay you about ten million bucks for filming it, so just learn how to play pool over the next few months and we’ll be in touch.”

Edited by futureman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, futureman said:

what will iceman be doing?  didn’t see him in the trailer. 

The funeral you saw in the trailer?  That was his.  He was going through a midlife crisis, and bought an old red car like the one he had in college, and then a bunch of WWII reenactors accidentally ran into him.

Here's the leaked clip from the movie of him dying.

[spioler]

spacer.png

[/spoiler]

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Imo, hes the best actor alive to have never won an academy award... and should have easily won for his performance in Born on the Fourth of July

For the record, horrible first date movie.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Imo, hes the best actor alive to have never won an academy award... and should have easily won for his performance in Born on the Fourth of July

He and Hanks would be at the top for the last 30 years. Equally big stars, just in different ways.

Who else would rival them on that list?

17 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Yeah, poor planning on my part.

no, see, jerry took his date to see schindler’s list and instead of respecting the spectacle of jewish suffering they just made out the whole time and newman was in the theater and found it highly offensive so he decided to tell morty and helen about it. 

Yes. I was more thinking about people's favorite actors, or the biggest stars, for the last 30 years. Hanks is more of the everyman, but Cruise is right there as a star.

I personally like Hanks better as an actor, but I like them both.

Last 30 years is a long time and has alot of actors.  Males alone you got Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Bill Murray, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney,  Matt Damon. That doesn't even include Philip Seymour Hoffman

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Last 30 years is a long time and has alot of actors.  Males alone you got Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Bill Murray, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney,  Matt Damon. That doesn't even include Philip Seymour Hoffman

he’s not talking about acting chops, he’s talking about stardom.  the only one of these who comes close is leo, and he is still not on the level of tom cruise.  tom is the biggest goddamn movie star in the world. 

1 hour ago, retread said:

He and Hanks would be at the top for the last 30 years. Equally big stars, just in different ways.

Who else would rival them on that list?

Harrison Ford

Also...no Oscar

and Denzel...with several Oscars

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Also back on Maverick...I did notice, the plane at the very end of the trailer looks an awful lot like an F-14......

It is an F-14. Obviously it's a backflash sequence unless it's a suicide mission because the Tomcat is obsolete.

It's gonna be F-18's and F-35's.

I’d love it if Kelley McGillis made a cameo.

Maverick and some of the younger guys are doing a meet and greet at the O-Club bar, when she comes trudging in, walks by, smiles at Maverick, and then lumbers over to a booth where she plops her fatass down with a large THUD.

When the younger dudes look back at him, one of them asks, “Do you know her”?

Maverick, caught in an almost dreamlike haze, comes out of it and says, “Yeah. She was a civilian contractor back in mid eighties who’s area of expertise was the MIG-28. Unfortunately for her, the data we were able to provide the state department after our skirmish over the Indian Ocean back in ‘86 revealed that she was full of shit. The planes we shot down were a bunch of F-5s that we’d sold some shithole Soviet offshoot country, and they were piloted by a handful of drunk ex-Soviet contractors. They even scored a kill on one of our guys early on, but once I showed up, and we realized what they were, it was like a fucking turkey shoot. We never let that pilot and his REO live it down either. His backseater, who went by Wolfman, broke up with him shortly after returning to port. So Hollywood decided to give real estate a try, but he couldn’t sell his way out of a wet paper sack. Last we heard he and partner were selling Scentsy.

Anyway, back to the fat drink of water pounding the pint glass of white Zinfandel over there in the corner. Once the US Government realized she was completely full of shit, they canned her like tuna. Now she works at the Shell station over by the base. So the answer is yes, I do know her. Long answer is I used to go balls deep in her fat ass like my plane was going down, pun intended. Now, who’s got the next round? I need a shot, and if y’all are willing to drop some money in the pot, enough to make it interesting, y’all meet me in the parking lot and y’all can watch me just destroy her ass on the trunk of her green Karmann Ghia. $100 she’s parked in the handicapped space right next to my Ninja”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I’d love it if Kelley McGillis made a cameo.

Maverick and some of the younger guys are doing a meet and greet at the O-Club bar, when she comes trudging in, walks by, smiles at Maverick, and then lumbers over to a booth where she plops her fatass down with a large THUD.

When the younger dudes look back at him, one of them asks, “Do you know her”?
Maverick, caught in an almost dreamlike haze, comes out of it and says, “Yeah. She was a civilian contractor back in mid eighties who’s area of expertise was the MIG-28. Unfortunately for her, the data we were able to provide the state department after our skirmish over the Indian Ocean back in ‘86 revealed that she was full of shit. The planes we shot down were a bunch of F-5s that we’d sold some shithole Soviet offshoot country, and they were piloted by a handful of drunk ex-Soviet contractors. They even scored a kill on one of our guys early on, but once I showed up, and we realized what they were, it was like a fucking turkey shoot. We never let that pilot and his REO live it down either. His backseater, who went by Wolfman, broke up with him shortly after returning to port. So Hollywood decided to give real estate a try, but he couldn’t sell his way out of a wet paper sack. Last we heard he and partner were selling Scentsy.
Anyway, back to the fat drink of water pounding the pint glass of white Zinfandel over there in the corner. Short answer is yes, I do know her. Long answer is I used to go balls deep in her fat ass like my plane was going down, pun intended. Now, who’s got the next round? I need a shot, and if y’all are willing to drop some money in the pot, enough to make it interesting, y’all meet me in the parking lot and y’all can watch me just destroy her ass on the trunk of her green Karmann Ghia. $100 she’s parked in the handicapped space right next to my Ninja”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR he could just say “yea I know her but she lost that loving feeling”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I think Harrison Ford is the biggest star of the last 30 years and possibly of all time (although I guess maybe I’m just getting old considering him a part of the modern era, because he basically shut it down 20 years ago).  

I do think Cruise is probably second after him in that 30 year period and a top 10 star ever.  Tom Hanks had to start shifting into more “age appropriate” roles 15 years ago whereas Cruise is still doing big budget “leading man hero who gets the girl” roles as a 60 year old thanks to his alien anti-aging sorcery.

Based on pure stardom, which I’m arbitrarily saying is some combination of box office draw and playing the lead in movies that become enduring classics, my uninformed hot take top 10 list would be something like the following (going chronologically and not necessarily the ranking):

1. Humphrey Bogart

2. Jimmy Stewart

3. John Wayne

4. Cary Grant

5. Paul Newman

6. Clint Eastwood

7. Al Pacino

8. Harrison Ford

9. Tom Cruise

10. Tom Hanks

Have any of those actors been on the top of their game for over 40 years? Because that is what Cruise is doing. Hes also the highest grossing actor of all time (estimated around half a billion dollars at this point) and is the definitive movie star of the past 30 or so years

Dude is one of the top 3 or 4 movie stars, ever. Mo’Nique has an oscar... Cruise does not

On 6/7/2018 at 8:47 PM, aggie08 said:

I work on a Navy base in San Diego, and they were filming crazy low altitude take offs over the harbor last week. Super bad ass. Also, spoiler alert, I can confirm with certainty that there will be a motorcycle ride alongside an active runway.

In.

I was wondering why it sounded like the air show was three months early around here.