Anybody have jellyfish lighting?

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, BigDHornfan said:

We are having them installed next week.

Looking forward to lighting the house orange for Texas/ou.

Those that have them, you happy with them?

They sure aren’t cheap.

But don’t have to worry about putting up Xmas lights anymore.

How did this work out and what was the price per sq. foot?   As pricing X-Mas light installation (which keeps going up) this may be something I look into for 2023.

ca2488ad31aa71cb655230770722e136.jpg
84cd9883aea2d37f36bda07ef5984bf1.jpg
b09d3a22c2ee3887064276e22c7bb03f.jpg
Last pic is what I did for Texas/ou.
Picture doesn’t do it justice and wish I could post video.
Have the orange lights moving from left to right.

Light combinations are endless. Just takes some time figuring out programming.
Tons of great preloaded options though.

All in all, I am super satisfied with them.
It worked out to about $30 per foot.
Expensive, but we were spending $250 a year on Christmas lights.
No more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We had them installed last month.  We love them.  House is orange/white on Saturdays and blue/white on Sundays.  On weekdays we've had Halloween colors up this month.  The sales guy made a mistake on the pricing but they honored the quote he gave, so ours came out to about $24/lf.  Apparently the peaks on our roof are close to 40', because they could barely reach them with their 32' ladder.  No way in hell I'd hang lights up there so the cost is worth it.

afc904364416340b17b7911815eab20b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/23/2022 at 10:50 PM, Assman said:

We had them installed last month.  We love them.  House is orange/white on Saturdays and blue/white on Sundays.  On weekdays we've had Halloween colors up this month.  The sales guy made a mistake on the pricing but they honored the quote he gave, so ours came out to about $24/lf.  Apparently the peaks on our roof are close to 40', because they could barely reach them with their 32' ladder.  No way in hell I'd hang lights up there so the cost is worth it.

afc904364416340b17b7911815eab20b.jpg

I got a quote for $8k. Seems high.

We installed Trimlight in March of 2021 and love them. I use white security/accent lights normally but have preprogrammed schemes for holidays, Longhorns, Astros, Liverpool FC. We had a couple issues but the installer came out and repaired/replaced things very quickly.

We had the lights installed 9” apart and paid around $3500 (but that was 18 months ago).

f91a390b84c65f20f49567e444988793.jpg
b49dec33c105dbd96d45e44d2aeb15c5.jpg
8880a881c29f0296d177425d423cb5b3.jpg
c971b76bf76a26e362c887769f916bce.jpg
f8bbe379c1b9072b7279b4d78e6ff5d0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

I got a quote for $8k. Seems high.

Ours was $5900, and in the pic you're looking at probably 60% of the installed lights.  I have an L-shaped 3-car garage on the left side that has lights hung and about 20' worth of lights going down the side on the right.  Like I said, I think we paid $24/lf as a mistake, so do the math on that.

We also got a quote from Trimlight that was a few hundred dollars cheaper, but I didn't like the look of their product.  Their LED lights were bulb shaped, like a small oven or microwave type bulb and protruded out of the c-channel base they installed.  The Jellyfish lights are a round disc and fit flush in the base.  Their product looked cleaner overall to me, but that was just a matter of taste.  I think both give off the same light.

Edited by Assman

Swonie,
Mind giving a general idea of the price/ft?

Sorry for the delay I’ve been off Surly all day. I looked everywhere for my invoice but can’t find it. I was around $20 per foot including the controller. We set it up in January 2021 so we got in on the post Christmas sale.

On 10/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, royiv said:

Our electrician sells & installs a similar product called Gemstone Lights. Anyone have experience with these compared to the other two products in this thread?

this is what we got installed last November thru a company called astoria lightning. was about ~$25/ln ft. they’re disc shaped with three led in each disc. comes with a shit ton of available preset patterns you can download. holidays, sports, architectural, etc. 

been rock solid all year. got tons of compliments for the halloween theme the other night. 

• 2 months later...

Bumping this as started to look into the different products.  I figure first quarter is their slowest period so likely better deals.   Some good info in this thread.  Anyone else able to compare in contrast between Jellyfish/Gemstone/Trimlight?  Have initial appts set up for all 3 to learn about pricing and product differences.

We had Jellyfish installed in December. For holidays, game days, special stuff, the system is awesome and we are really pleased. The track they install is so subtle and painted to match the house trim. We have a 1913 house in a historic district and I was nervous about how it would fit in or if would cause landmark commission issues. You can’t even tell they are there. Love it. No need to install lights on our high pitched roof again!

I need to figure out how to select only certain lights to create a more subdued accent scene for every day used. Their accent preprogrammed setup is too much.

Hue is terrific for interior lighting but this is a different thing.

• 2 months later...

Anyone who has one of these lighting products, did you all do it all the way around the house? Just front? I'm definitely doing front and back but I am torn on the sides. You can barely even see them from the street as I'm the last house at the end of the circle. So I guess I would be doing the sides for the neighbors? It would save me about $1500. My understanding is I would get two controllers so I could even do the front and back different if I wanted to. Not sure that is the case if I go all the way around. 

On 4/21/2023 at 7:08 PM, Baboontyme said:

Anyone who has one of these lighting products, did you all do it all the way around the house? Just front? I'm definitely doing front and back but I am torn on the sides. You can barely even see them from the street as I'm the last house at the end of the circle. So I guess I would be doing the sides for the neighbors? It would save me about $1500. My understanding is I would get two controllers so I could even do the front and back different if I wanted to. Not sure that is the case if I go all the way around. 

I don't have them but most in my hood have the front only.  I have a nice patio in back and would consider it if it was single story or maybe under our deck but the second story roof is too high for using it as party lighting.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, Skipper said:

Correct, I'm in Dallas.  I think these options are all probably available in Austin as well.  I'll definitely update with my thoughts if/when I pull the trigger.

image.jpeg.ff079cb7b78b5c2376c9ec9cfb282df2.jpeg

For real though, what did you go with? Thinking about pulling the trigger on Jellyfish in Dallas soon but would love more feedback.

• Like 1

Well, I have to admit ya'll introduced me to the gateway drug LED lighting.  I started looking at what it would take to do some kind of setup.  So, I've been measuring and researching.  We haven't committed to anything yet, but we are standing on a slippery slope.  Currently, we are waiting on some quotes.

• 4 weeks later...

I got close to 225 feet of 30 mm pixels spaced at 8 inches.  2 12vdc power supply's, 2 Wi-Fi controllers, various wire, jumpers, M/F connectors, "T" connectors, etc.  Shipping was almost 25% of the drive out cost at 85.00.  I didn't get their track system for lighting mounts because I want to use my own.  Here's the link to the guys I used, if anyone is interested.  They were very helpful.  Once I sent them some pictures and a couple of sketches of what I wanted they dialed it in pretty quickly.  My sales guy was Tony (recommended).  He also uses WhatsApp if needed.  Link will take you to the light I chose.

UCS2904 30mm Le digital waterproof outdoor use RGBW pixel led string lights-Professional lighting manufacturer in China (shiji-led.com)

We'll see if the juice is worth the squeeze.  

On 11/6/2023 at 10:51 AM, orange dream said:

Jellyfish installation scheduled for the 14th.  I'll report back once it's up and running.

Just realized my response to your question must have never gotten through.  I remember typing something out.  In any event, I went with Gemstone but was down to Gemstone and Jellyfish.  I just got a slightly better deal with Gemstone so went that direction (and have been happy with the product overall).  But I liked the Jellyfish product as well. Liked both better than Trimlight.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Skipper said:

Just realized my response to your question must have never gotten through.  I remember typing something out.  In any event, I went with Gemstone but was down to Gemstone and Jellyfish.  I just got a slightly better deal with Gemstone so went that direction (and have been happy with the product overall).  But I liked the Jellyfish product as well. Liked both better than Trimlight.

Curious, what did you like better about Gemstone and Jellyfish vs Trimlight? I was looking at Trimlight but I see we have a Gemstone installer in the area now, as well. 

Edited by Baboontyme

24 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Curious, what did you like better about Gemstone and Jellyfish vs Trimlight? I was looking at Trimlight but I see we have a Gemstone installer in the area now, as well. 

It's been a while but I liked the product a bit better.  I just wasn't convinced that Trimlight would be as bright as the others, especially for my house which has a bit darker brick.   Also, the Trimlight people were like 45 mins late and I barely had time to meet with them and I think they then had the highest quote.  Jellyfish only did a remote estimate which I really didn't like either but saw enough online reviews, etc. to know it was a good product.  The Gemstone installer spent the most time with me explaining the product, making suggestions, and making sure he gave me the best offer. Given things were all relatively equal I went with the guy that made the most effort to get the deal done.

• Like 1