Why Texas Stomps a Mudhole In Alabama's Ass

closetojumping

12 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The last game that Bear Bryant coached was the loss to Texas in that Cotton Bowl.  Just saying ...

Wrong.  He coached one more season.  Bryant's last game was the 1982 Liberty Bowl, a 21-15 victory over Illinois.

Edited by 83Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Hear hear

I invoked the Davy Crockett saying wrt this game earlier today which made this even better

Well done

Davy Crockett got executed in the Alamo after honorably surrendering after killing massive numbers of Santa Anna's army.

So how does that apply to the Longhorns?

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

I'm a firm believer that Gary Patterson has been scheming for this game since the fucking day he got hired. 

I believe the Great Col. John Hannibal Smith said:

Give me a minute, I'm good. Give me an hour, I'm great. Give me six months, I'm unbeatable.

LFG

I'm not convinced about Sark being better than a 7 win coach.  But I do believe in Patterson.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Not with BoB calling their plays they don’t 

I understand he's not gonna be on a Mount Rushmore of OC's, but you don't have to be a great OC, or even a better than average OC, when you've got 5 stars at every position and you're playing against a defense that's struggled recently.

They averaged 41 pts/game last year even with BoB driving the bus.  I'm honestly surprised Saban hired that dude, and has stuck with him.  I guess he figures his talent level and system are so foolproof that even a bad coach can't fuck it up.

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

HEY BAMA....

Jenn-Loss.jpg

That's JC, right?

Michelangelo, da Vinci, Donatello, Raphael... those sculptors couldn't have dreamt up the perfection in that photo.

I started to say that GOD Himself couldn't have created something that perfect, before realizing a moment later that He did create that, however one might conceive of God in this respect.

So, Best in Show goes to JC and her creator.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's the simple answer, by the way:  Strike first. Make Bama play catch up throughout the game while you continue to stress the hell out of their defense by keeping them on the field.  Time consuming drives are better than quick strikes.  Bryce and co. will get anxious standing on the sideline for so long.

Be prepared for the fact that like it or not, they are eventually gonna close the gap near the end of the game.  But by that point it's either team's game to win/lose.

Pass that on to Sark.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You name the kind of derisive, condescending shit-talking someone in the media, or representative of another fanbase, or even writing as a UT reporter but needing to pay off gambling or IRS debts, could say about the Texas football program, and it has been said. 

I'm interested in hearing more about this.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Here's the simple answer, by the way:  Strike first. Make Bama play catch up

Yeah, I think that's big.  If Texas is competitive after the first couple possessions, we're pretty likely to be hanging around in the fourth quarter.  

The last time we had a preseason top-5 SEC team here (eventual MNC LSU), Texas started with a dropped TD in the end zone on 4th and goal, then a (dumb play call) failed 4th and goal.  Could have easily been 10-0 Texas after two possessions, but instead it was 0-0, and Texas ended up playing from behind the whole game.

4 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yeah, I think that's big.  If Texas is competitive after the first couple possessions, we're pretty likely to be hanging around in the fourth quarter.  

The last time we had a preseason top-5 SEC team here (eventual MNC LSU), Texas started with a dropped TD in the end zone on 4th and goal, then a (dumb play call) failed 4th and goal.  Could have easily been 10-0 Texas after two possessions, but instead it was 0-0, and Texas ended up playing from behind the whole game.

I'll say this:  Unless their OL has taken a big step forward over last year (which can absolutely happen on a unit like that from one season to the next) and unless their secondary (and pass coverage in general) has improved over last year, this year's Alabama team is not going to be dominant like they were in '20 (not that many teams have been, including previous Bama teams).

Florida was really the only team that gave them a ballgame that year (That I recall).

I don't know if UT's OL is up to the task of making possible a big day for Bijan, or if Ewers (if given time) is ready at this point to light up their pass coverage, but I do know if Texas is able to complete enough short/intermediate passes and put together enough 4-yard gains on the ground to keep the sticks moving and eat up clock, it'll be a good ballgame.

I don't think Bama's offense vs Texas' defense is going to be that competitive.  Too many weapons with too much experience and against a shortage of both for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Worst part about this post is how it reminds me how old I am as I read through 3 pages of Longhorn internet posters who don't get the reference at all.

Weren't there a couple of other recurring threads; one of them was something about doomed (anti-jinx) and another one saying "they suck, we should win easily"? 

9 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Can we get in writing from Alabama that they care about this game?

Won't know if they cared or not until we know if they won or lost.

The SEC is undefeated in games it cares about, even against itself.  They're so amazing and we're lucky to live in this epoch with them.

• Haha 1