All Quiet on the Western Front (Daniel Brühl, German-language, Oct 28 in Theaters and on Netflix)

atomheartbevo

Very, very well done. Yes, there are deviations from the narrative of the novel, but this film totally captures the spirit of it.  

The scene at the beginning 

Spoiler

were uniforms are pulled of the dead and then boiled, cleaned, patched, and reissued... "This one already belongs to someone..."

really set the tone.  These guys are just fresh meat fed into the grinder of war.

As others have said, it should win FL and BP Oscars.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Very, very well done. Yes, there are deviations from the narrative of the novel, but this film totally captures the spirit of it.  

Reveal hidden contents

were uniforms are pulled of the dead and then boiled, cleaned, patched, and reissued... "This one already belongs to someone..."

really set the tone.  These guys are just fresh meat fed into the grinder of war.

Well, that's what the book impresses upon you ... that these young men were idealistic lads who bought into the whole "war as heroism" fantasy, only to be disabused of that notion in a very harsh manner.

• Hook 'Em 1

My only quibble is the ending.  They're obviously setting up for a sequel, no problem with that.  But to just literally STOP the battle like that?!  I watched for a post-credits sequence and nothing there either.  It's like they ran of ideas about how to set up the sequel and just quit.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

My only quibble is the ending.  They're obviously setting up for a sequel, no problem with that.  But to just literally STOP the battle like that?!  I watched for a post-credits sequence and nothing there either.  It's like they ran of ideas about how to set up the sequel and just quit.

Sequels can always be made but the actual sequel pretty much dealt with secondary characters.

In real life, I believe most of the fighting ended earlier that morning as the soldiers knew the war was ending at 11am.  Still there was over 2,000 deaths on the final morning AFTER the armistice was signed. It almost seems like the leaders liked the idea of stopping the war at 11/11 at 11am more than saving lives. For the movie, the last scenes were about foreshadowing WW2.

story of the real last casualty, a disgruntled American, over a demotion, who wanted to prove himself in the final minutes. Stupid move.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Gunther

• Hook 'Em 1

They did such a good job illustrating how WWI was arguably the single worst conflict of the gap between antiquated tactics and modern technology that led to such slaughter.  The American Civil war using Napoleonic tactics was close (ex. Cold Harbor - facing entrenched, prepared positions).  The advent of the "minie" ball and coordinated artillery was close. 

Still, nothing could match the sheer decimation of the paired machine gun/artillery on infantry in mass.  Layer on the airplane, the submarine, and finally mechanized, it was horrific.  

Trenches at Petersburg.  Looks eerily familiar

Petersberg.jpg?resize=600%2C472

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Parliament said:

The sequel is titled World War 2. Actually, The Big Red One would be a great sequel, but I digress. WW1 ended exactly like that. They signed the armistice at 5:45 am and scheduled it for 11:00 am (eleventh hour, eleventh day, eleventh month). It was a very poetic, very French end to the war. Problem was Germany still had time on the clock, went all out and caught Pierre with his pantalons down. 

You guys took History, right? At least watch the History channel back when they showed that stuff? 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, RPM said:

The sequel is titled World War 2. Actually, The Big Red One would be a great sequel, but I digress. WW1 ended exactly like that. They signed the armistice at 5:45 am and scheduled it for 11:00 am (eleventh hour, eleventh day, eleventh month). It was a very poetic, very French end to the war. Problem was Germany still had time on the clock, went all out and caught Pierre with his pantalons down. 

You guys took History, right? At least watch the History channel back when they showed that stuff? 

History Channel shifted towards WW2 only long before it shifted to reality dumbshit

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I was joking.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Lost Battalion is a great BoB type story in WW1. It deserves recognition, but you need to start with the 1930 OG AQOTWF. Then The Big Parade, Westfront 1918, Hell's Angels, Wings and finish with The Dawn Patrol. If you have room for desert, Sergeant York.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You make it sound like the Germans were the only ones. Plenty of Allied forces kept up the fight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Vicksburg national park is a must see. All the trenches and battlements are still there just over grown with grass. There are plaques and memorials everywhere describing what happened at every position.  

Many of those mark the furthest a particular regiment made it before being wiped out or retreating.

You can take the same paths the advancing union troops took only to meet cannons staring right at you as you top the ridge.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Vicksburg national park is a must see. All the trenches and battlements are still there just over grown with grass. There are plaques and memorials everywhere describing what happened at every position.  

Many of those mark the furthest a particular regiment made it before being wiped out or retreating.

You can take the same paths the advancing union troops took only to meet cannons staring right at you as you top the ridge.

It's been around 30 years since I toured Vicksburg, but they had some well-done cave/dugout mockups that people were living in during the siege and they reminded me of the WWI trenches/dugouts.

And they are exactly what I picture the Russians occupying in Ukraine here in 2022.

For those of you in the Austin area, Camp Mabry has a Texas Military Forces Museum or whatever, and they have a mockup of WWI trenches that you can walk through, complete with periscopes that let you see what it would look like to look out over the landscape/hellscape.  It's actually pretty cool to give you an idea of how tall the trenches were.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Cool illustration of the campaign and how critical Vicksburg was to both sides

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/31/2022 at 12:59 PM, Dutch said:

Hide contents

I am an avid collector of WW2 memoralia.  I have a collection of well over 100 US uniforms (Ike jackets and 4-pocket dress tunics) from the ETO and MTO.  Many of them have multiple names or other forms of IDs written inside the uniforms.  So yes, uniforms were recycled for one reason or another.  It was also common to pilfer for gear particularly in the colder climates.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

How bad is the violence? I'm asking for my kid who is in 5th grade. He's been to Germany, knows a fair amount of German, and would absolutely love a movie about World War I. Is it worse than 1917? Because he hasn't seen that yet, but I would let him watch it.

It would be a no for me fam. My kids are 7 and I paused it when they were in the room.  Saving Private Ryan-esque. 

Plus I watched it with subtitles on.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

How bad is the violence? I'm asking for my kid who is in 5th grade. He's been to Germany, knows a fair amount of German, and would absolutely love a movie about World War I. Is it worse than 1917? Because he hasn't seen that yet, but I would let him watch it.

Hard no for me as well, with a 10 year old.  

Spend a few hours on YouTube, there’s some good documentaries and shows that YouTubers have put together and you could string together a decent play list for him.  My kid is interested in WWII and I’ve found some solid stuff on there that gives him a solid grounding without the violence of the movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Hard no. I know adults who shouldn't watch it. 

Edited by MissingInAction

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Decent to good for me. Well paced, 2.5 hours zipped by. 

Hide contents

Really bad beat for the main characters. To die within a couple hours and a couple seconds of the Armistice demonstrates the futility of war.  

I thought that was dramatized but there actually were quite a few battles/skirmishes like that on the final morning. So stupid.

I watched it over a couple nights.  First half I watched the dubbed version, kinda not knowing any better and I think my Netflix defaults to that.  Watched the second half in German with English subtitles.  Maybe this is obvious, but highly recommend watching the German version.  Now I gotta go back and watch the beginning in German.

4 hours ago, staboner said:

jesus fucking christ this movie destroyed me. 

great acting. great pace. good music/sound use. 

horrible story. fucking people are the worst. 

i hope this movie wins every award it can

My thoughts. 

The scene with the German soldier begging for his life while French Rifleman ran by him... only to have what happened. Fuck

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

I watched it over a couple nights.  First half I watched the dubbed version, kinda not knowing any better and I think my Netflix defaults to that.  Watched the second half in German with English subtitles.  Maybe this is obvious, but highly recommend watching the German version.  Now I gotta go back and watch the beginning in German.

same! it was honestly hard to tell bc i swear half the time their lips actually matched the english sound, or seemed like it was maybe just a half second delayed. it took a while to figure out it actually was dubbed lol. maybe bc of germanic roots of english? a lot of the words obviously had the same mouth shape. it was interesting 🤔