All Quiet on the Western Front (Daniel Brühl, German-language, Oct 28 in Theaters and on Netflix)

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, RPM said:

It was released in theaters in August.

Theres a movie review website i liked called crankycritic where he assigns a $value to the movie, representing how much he would pay to see it. 

IMO 1917 is a full imax blockbuster. $12 nowadays?  which puts aqotwf at $4. 

• 1 month later...

Just watched. I'll have to rewatch 1917 I guess to compare the two. 

I thought it was fine. The narrative/arc seemed very muddled and all over the place. As did the tone from scene to scene. Perhaps that's the fault of the novel which I admittedly haven't read. I kind of doubt that, though. 

Ultimately it felt like a bunch of impressive scenes stitched together in the wrong order with bizarre transitions at times. I never felt sure what I was supossed to be feeling or focusing on. There were scenes that felt very powerful for different reasons but then it would transition into something else and completely lose all momentum.

The score also wasn't very good. But that's more of an asterisk as I didn't feel like it detracted much.

Also I knew a lot about how WW1 was fought coming in so there was much more "yeah - it really fucking sucked" than "holy shit I can't believe people actually went through this" for me. 

Definitely an important film for historical reasons. Probably a great 2 hr watch for anyone who wants to know what WW1 was like. I just didn't think it was a great "movie" movie.