The ABIA Thread of Gross Incompetence

ztejas

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well.....that's fucking lovely.  We fly out to the UK today.  Fortunately not till after 6 pm, but shit.  Gonna get there super-early now.

Shit. I’d look into changing my departure to Dallas, Houston or SA. Surely one of those will have a flight that gets you to wherever your overseas flight departs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

You sure about that? I got some money that says you end up leaving tomorrow. 

Not sure at all.....but gonna give it a whirl.  Our plane isn't even here yet (still in the air, inbound, and with a while yet to go), and we aren't scheduled to leave till 9.5 hours from now, so.....we'll try.

How the fuck does Austin critical infrastructure not have Emergency Response Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans. How are they not testing generators and other backup systems on a regular basis? Surely the geniuses made sure they have enough back up power/generators to run the airport and critical systems? Surely they tested those backup systems to make sure when an emergency happens, those systems are in working order.

We went through this shit with Austin Water during Icepocalypse. The City hasn't learned shit from it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

How the fuck does Austin critical infrastructure not have Emergency Response Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans. How are they not testing generators and other backup systems on a regular basis? Surely the geniuses made sure they have enough back up power/generators to run the airport and critical systems? Surely they tested those backup systems to make sure when an emergency happens, those systems are in working order.

We went through this shit with Austin Water during Icepocalypse. The City hasn't learned shit from it.

Do you even Austin, bro?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not sure at all.....but gonna give it a whirl.  Our plane isn't even here yet (still in the air, inbound, and with a while yet to go), and we aren't scheduled to leave till 9.5 hours from now, so.....we'll try.

with this probably fucking the airport for at least another 8+ hours, I would strongly suggest calling whichever airline you are taking and see what options you could do from either Houston or Dallas instead, and just drive there.   yeah, that will suck on your return home, but theres a damn good chance you arent taking off today.  

keep in mind with a 3+ hour backlog of folks whose planes couldnt leave till now, plus the planes supposed to come to Austin, there might not be enough gates for your inbound plane to even get one.   They could be stuck on the tarmac waiting for a gate for 1-2 hours... plus all other delays.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

with this probably fucking the airport for at least another 8+ hours, I would strongly suggest calling whichever airline you are taking and see what options you could do from either Houston or Dallas instead, and just drive there.   yeah, that will suck on your return home, but theres a damn good chance you arent taking off today.  

keep in mind with a 3+ hour backlog of folks whose planes couldnt leave till now, plus the planes supposed to come to Austin, there might not be enough gates for your inbound plane to even get one.   They could be stuck on the tarmac waiting for a gate for 1-2 hours... plus all other delays.

Well, it's a direct flight to London.....so a delay isn't a killer.  A pain, but not a killer.  I expect the plane WILL get a gate at some point today (people have to deplane), and then it will need to fly back....we'll just be delayed.  Which takes away much of the advantage of trying somewhere else.  Tie into that the fact that my wife is at the doc right now figuring out whether they need to put a cast on her arm.....we're committed to the AUS-LHR path for now.  If it's a shitshow.....then it will be a shitshow.  We won't be heading to the airport for another 5-6 hours, so I'll look and see what things are like as we get closer to that point.

This town....this fucking town.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

International gates are probably less effected as I assume they are turned over fewer times per day.  But man, figuring out when and how to get to the airport could be fun.  

Those international gates are also used for domestic flights throughout the day. AUS is way too gate constrained to just have dedicated international gates sitting around unused waiting on an international flight.

I don’t know what flight you’re on brisket, but it has a better chance than the domestics of getting into Austin when the airport opens. Diverting domestic traffic in smaller planes is not nearly as big a pain in the ass as diverting a big wide body that’s already been in the air that long and that requires customs and immigration.  They will open the airport with limited number of slots and I bet the international traffic gets the first slots.  

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Those international gates are also used for domestic flights throughout the day. AUS is way too gate constrained to just have dedicated international gates sitting around unused waiting on an international flight.

Yeah. Unless Austin operates different than most airports; inbound international gates can be used for intl and domestic and outbound can be any gate as long as it can handle the metal.   

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This wouldn’t be an issue if he had decided to major in poontang at swt. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Holy shit - I've tried to quit saying that or using logic to make assumptions on anything related to air travel.

Good luck - hope it goes well.

Oh, we know that every step of our travel is a roll of the fucking dice these days.  Just SUPER pumped that ABIA gave us an early set of snake eyes.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

This wouldn’t be an issue if he had decided to major in poontang at swt. 

He's still got a thing for the Alsatian dancer.  It's difficult getting him to change focus from that.  And in fairness....Alsatian dancer.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not so much about the gates.  It’s about which flights need customs and immigration and which ones don’t. A flight arriving from a domestic city can divert to any other airport and easily receive services, fuel, dispatch paperwork, employees to help deplane etc… They can let passengers off that airport to rebook them on other flights through other cities, etc. An international flight cannot land just at any airport and have those services or employees available. They can divert fairly easily into Houston or Dallas, but they sure don’t have as many options as a domestic airline have with service in every city in Texas. They become a bit of a bigger priority since they have fewer options.   You've got crew rest legalities as well, a crew that originated overseas but diverted to a different airport may or may not be legal to takeoff again to make it to the original destination.   

Looks like the airport is open now and accepting  arrivals. Both flights coming from Heathrow today are showing 30 and 45 minutes delayed for this afternoon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it's a direct flight to London.....so a delay isn't a killer.  A pain, but not a killer.  I expect the plane WILL get a gate at some point today (people have to deplane), and then it will need to fly back....we'll just be delayed.  Which takes away much of the advantage of trying somewhere else.  Tie into that the fact that my wife is at the doc right now figuring out whether they need to put a cast on her arm.....we're committed to the AUS-LHR path for now.  If it's a shitshow.....then it will be a shitshow.  We won't be heading to the airport for another 5-6 hours, so I'll look and see what things are like,  as we get closer to that point.

This town....this fucking town.

If I remember correctly, and don't have time to check flight radar (but yes, I am on this site) when my partner flew over on the same route he landed in Dallas, cleared customs, rebounded and came to Austin. From here back to Heathrow it was direct. I would be checking flight radar. 

Also, we know this guy who has a ledge. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's some real justification behind this question.

I was completely untouched by both defenestrations of Prague.

And I didn't even watch Super Bowl XXX.

So there.

Oh, and the wife is cleared to travel, no cast.  So that's nice.  Still, I get to be the sherpa, as she can't do any heavy lifting with the busted arm.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was completely untouched by both defenestrations of Prague.

And I didn't even watch Super Bowl XXX.

So there.

Oh, and the wife is cleared to travel, no cast.  So that's nice.  Still, I get to be the sherpa, as she can't do any heavy lifting with the busted arm.

You’ll make an excellent sherpa.

• ztejas changed the title to The ABIA Thread of Gross Incompetence