The ABIA Thread of Gross Incompetence

ztejas

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The boy ordered the same thing, and when it arrived said “shit…I forgot about these beans. I was thinking frijoles.”

Gonna be a long trip for that kid.  Thoughts and prayers for his frijole-less future.  Maybe you can send him some care packages.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Gonna be a long trip for that kid.  Thoughts and prayers for his frijole-less future.  Maybe you can send him some care packages.

Yeah... in my limited sad experiences with European "Mexican" restaurants, it's like they take some Cuban recipes, mix them in a bucket with Indian food, run a drink special and call it a day.

Yeah... in my limited sad experiences with European "Mexican" restaurants, it's like they take some Cuban recipes, mix them in a bucket with Indian food, run a drink special and call it a day.

Walked by a joint called “Tortilla” at Euston station yesterday, advertising “California style Mexican food.” The boy just shook his head, scorning the entire concept.
I already informed him that he was gonna need to learn to make his own tortillas, although we also brought 2 big packages of fresh HEB tortillas for him to toss in his freezer.
  • Hook 'Em 3

The first-- and last-- time I ever had Tex-Mex in France, my local coworkers insisted I come try it with them, as they wanted to know what I thought of it.

Before we ordered, I'd already seen this establishment's attempts at enchiladas delivered to a nearby table, and knew I couldn't go there, so I tried to play it safe and ordered fajitas.

For those that know the French, they tend to like their steaks cooked VERY rare.  And, apparently, skirt steak is no exception.

Trying to choke down a couple of bites of that tough, stringy, cold, bloody filth, was an exercise in discipline.  Finally I just stopped and told them I couldn't do it.  

At least they had plenty of tequila.

/csb

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The first-- and last-- time I ever had Tex-Mex in France, my local coworkers insisted I come try it with them, as they wanted to know what I thought of it.

Before we ordered, I'd already seen this establishment's attempts at enchiladas delivered to a nearby table, and knew I couldn't go there, so I tried to play it safe and ordered fajitas.

For those that know the French, they tend to like their steaks cooked VERY rare.  And, apparently, skirt steak is no exception.

Trying to choke down a couple of bites of that tough, stringy, cold, bloody filth, was an exercise in discipline.  Finally I just stopped and told them I couldn't do it.  

/csb

I only tried Tex-Mex once in Paris with a few of my local high school friends (was an exchange student). That was spring 1990, and I hadn't had anything close to resembling Tex-Mex since the prior August at my going away dinner. Fuck, I was so excited and, damn, was I so disappointed. But when the waiter learned I was a Texan, he went and grabbed one of the owners, because he wanted me to give my reaction, expecting me to praise how they'd done authentic Tex-Mex, which was very exotic to them at the time.

Turns out the owner was from New Jersey. I was polite and didn't criticize but told all my high school friends later that they didn't come close to having a taste of Texas.

Funny enough, I had a long conversation with one of them a few weeks ago and was told that "French tacos" was a thing now and had swept the nation over the last couple of years. She's been to Texas since then and knows what tacos are supposed to be like. The way she described French tacos made me want to cry. Then, I googled them and wanted to throw something out the window.

Fortunately, she did assure me that enough Euros/Frogs had been exposed to Tex-Mex by now that most recognize French tacos are an absolute abomination, but they still eat them.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tortilla with meat, cheese and fries, folded and grilled? Holy shit I’m going to get plastered in Paris in December and eat these 

There's a chain called O'Tacos and here's the menu. Also, click on "our restaurants" and you'll conveniently find their locations to help you plan ahead.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, bolverk said:

Funny enough, I had a long conversation with one of them a few weeks ago and was told that "French tacos" was a thing now and had swept the nation over the last couple of years. She's been to Texas since then and knows what tacos are supposed to be like. The way she described French tacos made me want to cry. Then, I googled them and wanted to throw something out the window.

Fortunately, she did assure me that enough Euros/Frogs had been exposed to Tex-Mex by now that most recognize French tacos are an absolute abomination, but they still eat them.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:43 PM, Js1 said:

Tortilla with meat, cheese and fries, folded and grilled? Holy shit I’m going to get plastered in Paris in December and eat these 

Yep.  When my daughter lived in Montreal, they had several joints that served these -- and her two roommates were frenchies, so they loved getting these.  My daughter told me about them, I raised an eyebrow, and she explained "dad....they're like $3, and we eat them when we're drunk and poor."  Say no more -- respect.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:35 PM, utee94 said:

/csb

On 9/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, bolverk said:

I only tried Tex-Mex once in Paris with a few of my local high school friends (was an exchange student). That was spring 1990, and I hadn't had anything close to resembling Tex-Mex since the prior August at my going away dinner. Fuck, I was so excited and, damn, was I so disappointed. But when the waiter learned I was a Texan, he went and grabbed one of the owners, because he wanted me to give my reaction, expecting me to praise how they'd done authentic Tex-Mex, which was very exotic to them at the time.

Turns out the owner was from New Jersey. I was polite and didn't criticize but told all my high school friends later that they didn't come close to having a taste of Texas.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:43 PM, Js1 said:

so a few lifetimes ago, i lived in the 5th arrondissement right off of bd. saint-michel.  and virtually every day, i would have to walk up that street to get to either the cluny-sorbonne or saint-michele metro station.  and every single day, i would see a restaurant on that walk called "indiana tex mex cafe."  it honestly annoyed me for most of that time.  but i finally gave in and gave it a shot due to dreaming about a comida deluxe from chuys.  there are few tragedies in life greater than having a sensual preparation of tex mex and then going to indiana cafe in paris.  my god. 

sadly, it is kind of a chain there now.

35 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

cause we all know damn well that Brisket kept that Jack in the Box on 26th street open by his own self on those late night 2 tacos for 99 cent runs

The 7-11 on MLK was closer to me.  2 hot dogs for 99 cents FTW.  Pro-tip -- put the hot dog on top of the plastic container they used to come in.  Fill bottom of container with "chili", topped with the liquid "cheese."  Dip hot dogs in mixture, eat remaining mixture with spoon.  Do that 2X.  For a DOLLAR.  WINNING.

Also, if I tried that today, I don't think I'd make it home before I shit myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fill bottom of container with "chili", topped with the liquid "cheese."  Dip hot dogs in mixture, eat remaining mixture with spoon.  Do that 2X.  For a DOLLAR.  WINNING.

I did this last night.  Only the container was @South Austin’s moms chest and the hot dog was my weiner.  And she didn’t charge me a dollar this time.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  When my daughter lived in Montreal, they had several joints that served these -- and her two roommates were frenchies, so they loved getting these.  My daughter told me about them, I raised an eyebrow, and she explained "dad....they're like $3, and we eat them when we're drunk and poor."  Say no more -- respect.

Onlyfans and maybe fix the poor part of the equation?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...
24 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Austin is so desperate to be a real city, but continues time and time again to fall flat on its face.  We're a homeless guy in an evening gown, stumbling around trying to get admitted to fancy restaurants for dinner.  Only the places with drunk hostesses think we're cool and let us in.  I know it won't happen, but I'd sure like to see this pandemic bump in population evaporate into thin air.  Surely people who moved here in the last couple of years have to be asking themselves, "What the fuck have I done?".   The airport is half the size it needs to be, the traffic is as bad as cities four times its size, and you can't even find a fucking primary care physician who can see you sooner than six months from now.  Austin does not have the infrastructure, private industry, or anything else to satisfy a population half its size, despite the city drowning in tax dollars to play with.  What a shit show.

As a non-Texan who visits Austin 1-2 times per year, I couldn't agree more.  Especially the airport.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think it's actually the opposite.  We desperately want to pretend we are still a small city, but we have 2 million fucking people and still growing and do nothing to actually address that.

This right here, and the attitude permeates everything we do as a city, whether it be airport or mass transit or traffic.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think it's actually the opposite.  We desperately want to pretend we are still a small city, but we have 2 million fucking people and still growing and do nothing to actually address that.

I think these are the same thing, just said differently.  

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agreed but I think people are trying to do something about it - the city is just growing too fast to keep up.

The airport just opened a brand new expansion and has already outgrown it. 

Exhibit 101 why I fucking despise air travel these days. I flew out of AUS two weeks ago (Friday 9AM). Arrived at the terminal an hour and 15 minutes early, and was at my gate with an hour to spare. Place was fucking empty. Just no rhyme nor reason to this type of chaos. Fuck showing up 3 hours early because they cant keep their fucking computer systems up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Agreed but I think people are trying to do something about it - the city is just growing too fast to keep up.

The airport just opened a brand new expansion and has already outgrown it. 

Right, so we plan projects that take 5-10 years to complete that get us to the current population instead of using foresight and plan a project that takes into account another 5-10 years of growth. So when it finally gets completed, it’s useless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The only ones seeming to being catered to are the homeless bums & bicycle crowd.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Exhibit 101 why I fucking despise air travel these days. I flew out of AUS two weeks ago (Friday 9AM). Arrived at the terminal an hour and 15 minutes early, and was at my gate with an hour to spare. Place was fucking empty. Just no rhyme nor reason to this type of chaos. Fuck showing up 3 hours early because they cant keep their fucking computer systems up. 

Austin's complete inability to elect/hire competent people to run its major service sectors, e.g. water, gas, electric, airport, aside, one major issue hitting the airport is that air travel is too fucking cheap these days (and Austin has become a tourist hotspot for peasants young people).   It was mentioned up thread, although I don't recall who wrote it, that this is what happens when bus people start flying.   I don't know when the airlines will recognize what other industries have figured out in spades over the last few years - jack up your rates and make more money serving fewer people.  Stop trying to cram bodies in seats with dirt-cheap fares and simply charge double (or more).  I know it sounds elitist, but I don't care.  Take the fucking bus like I and everyone else that couldn't afford to fly used to do.  Flying should return to being a special event that most people can't afford to do too often. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Right, so we plan projects that take 5-10 years to complete that get us to the current population instead of using foresight and plan a project that takes into account another 5-10 years of growth. So when it finally gets completed, it’s useless. 

Things could always be better but nobody plans for adding nearly a million people over 10 years. Then you end up with empty buildings that nobody uses and it's a waste. 

8 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Austin's complete inability to elect/hire competent people to run its major service sectors, e.g. water, gas, electric, airport, aside, one major issue hitting the airport is that air travel is too fucking cheap these days (and Austin has become a tourist hotspot for peasants young people).   It was mentioned up thread, although I don't recall who wrote it, that this is what happens when bus people start flying.   I don't know when the airlines will recognize what other industries have figured out in spades over the last few years - jack up your rates and make more money serving fewer people.  Stop trying to cram bodies in seats with dirt-cheap fares and simply charge double (or more).  I know it sounds elitist, but I don't care.  Take the fucking bus like I and everyone else that couldn't afford to fly used to do.  Flying should return to being a special event that most people can't afford to do too often. 

Can I get an AMEN!

Brooklyn Mother And Son 'Turned Coach to First Class' With Viral Seafood  Boil Soiree on Airplane

Edited by Blotto
  • Drool 1

• ztejas changed the title to The ABIA Thread of Gross Incompetence