Apple Special Event - 2022

gsoda3

is anyone watching this?  they started off with a montage of 5 people whose apple watch saved their lives.  that took about 5 minutes.  then they spent the next 5 minutes talking about their new ovulation tracker.  now 3 minutes on apple watch's crash detection.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

then they spent the next 5 minutes talking about their new ovulation tracker. 

something tells me that's not going to be a very popular feature.  particularly amongst those that don't want to be bounty hunted.

this satellite sos feature on the phones seems pretty sweet.

Edited by sidis

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

is anyone watching this?  they started off with a montage of 5 people whose apple watch saved their lives.  that took about 5 minutes.  then they spent the next 5 minutes talking about their new ovulation tracker.  now 3 minutes on apple watch's crash detection.  

All the Apple products in my house (and we have a shitton, not because we like them but because I'm fucking tech-illiterate and it's the only product I can negotiate)...says the ovulation tracker is used against women in 12 months time.  That's insane people would turn that information over to Apple.  My wife wouldn't turn it over to the government, the church, or insurance.  This is not going to end well, what a horrible fucking idea.  

"We must reign in Big Tech!  Oh yeah, here's my cycle though...under his eye."  There's not a guy on here who would turn over his sperm count data to Apple unless your name is Peter North.  

Tell me you never went to a pre-marital Catholic retreat without telling me you never went to a pre-marital Catholic retreat.  It's for another thread, but somebody made it a point to illustrate the new feature which really caught me off guard.  Our presenters gave us an antiquated XL spreadsheet, which I think I still have somewhere.  Damn Gates v. Jobs thing will never end! 

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Tell me you never went to a pre-marital Catholic retreat without telling me you never went to a pre-marital Catholic retreat.  It's for another thread, but somebody made it a point to illustrate the new feature which really caught me off guard.  Our presenters gave us an antiquated XL spreadsheet, which I think I still have somewhere.  Damn Gates v. Jobs thing will never end! 

okay, but what does this have to do with that first claim?

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's just weird that Apple spent more time talking about the Ovulation tracker than the expanded battery life since one appeals to 19% of the population and one appeals to 99% of the popullation.  

one's a new feature and the other is just an intrinsic property.  not much talking points to expound on battery life

Well what about the ovulation of my battery?  Why can't we have nice things!?!?  ;)  

Just found their order of features odd this year.  Most women don't like sharing this kinda shit on big tech platforms, but obviously that's changing.

I wish an app could transfer my sleeping boners to evening boners but you got your goddamn unions and updates.  

What were we talking about again?  These special events are so fucking redundant now, who gives a fuck.  Just cracking wise.  Out.

Well to be fair, the OP and our initial back-n-forth didn't mention period tracker.  That's obviously very helpful to a magnitude more women.  You and I were just talking about ovulation tracker (which yes, I know is incredibly intertwined biologically), but that's a much more narrow segment.  Didn't realize the app covered all that. 

The Venn Diagram of shit I don't understand about women nor appps is two circles right on top of one another.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

something tells me that's not going to be a very popular feature.  particularly amongst those that don't want to be bounty hunted.

Every woman I know uses an ovulation tracker when they are actively trying to have a baby. And all women that want to avoid getting pregnant should use them also.

48 minutes ago, sidis said:

that was in a pre-dobbs context.  that was before the information could be weaponized by the ken paxtons of the world.

I have not read up on it yet, but considering Apple’s very strong public stance on privacy and their awareness that Dobbs has happened, i am 99% positive this information is stored locally and Apple does not have access. Furthermore it is likely encrypted and can easily be deleted. 

Nobody would know from looking at the data if a woman is using it to have sex during fertilization time or to abstain. Or if a sudden lack of period is from pregnancy or medication. Or if return of period is from abortion, spontaneous miscarriage, or medication change. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The old man used to tell me that there were two types of people that employed the rhythm method:  musicians and parents.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, hornbri said:

I have not read up on it yet, but considering Apple’s very strong public stance on privacy and their awareness that Dobbs has happened, i am 99% positive this information is stored locally and Apple does not have access. Furthermore it is likely encrypted and can easily be deleted. 

i thought dude was answering glibly.  the implication that the government would compel apple to hand over someones medical data for use in prosecution is like zincfoil hat stuff

This is my ignorance showing but is period/ovulation data considered as top secret health data? Someone has a right to keep it private but for the average healthy women this is occurring every month. Gives you a 1 in 30 to guess what day it is.  Not exactly the same in protecting other health data. I would be more concerned about keeping blood pressure or cholesterol numbers from others. 

12 hours ago, immamac said:

Seems like a very meh, we had to drop something cuz it's that time of year type of product lineup. 

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

This, what a snoozer.

Other than the Apple Watch Ultra, which does a lot of things lots of folks were asking for, this is very much an old "S" year. Big ol snoozer, and I'm a big fanboy.

At least I will be able to leave my inReach at home now when I go into the backcountry.