Quantum Leap 2022

RPM

If Sam Beckett's consciousness was being leaped from person to person he's no longer in a physical body, right? Is it possible for him to die? Or is he suck for an eternity? If so how did they lose track of him? They can't find him and bring him home with a cameo since the original said he never returned home. I enjoyed the show but it always made my head hurt to think about the premise of it all. Like what happened to his physical body when he stepped into the accelerator. They might have explained some of this in the series, I haven't seen it obviously for probably 20 years but it was one of my favorite shows growing up.

This could easily be a huge fail, but Quantum Leap was my second favorite scifi show growing up. Twilight Zone was on another level, but I digress. The premise of do gooder leaping was brilliant. I loved the writing but was never satisfied with the OG ending.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This could easily be a huge fail, but Quantum Leap was my second favorite scifi show growing up. Twilight Zone was on another level, but I digress. The premise of do gooder leaping was brilliant. I loved the writing but was never satisfied with the OG ending.

Same for me. It was Twilight Zone and Quantum Leap. I’m definitely going to watch, but I have low expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too bad for a start... I miss some of the campiness, and I'm not sure if the extra cast is a good thing. 

Too bad he didn't leap into a place where they were watching Ghostbusters. 

Really miss Al's ridiculous stories, ex-wives and girlfriends. Great to see that Ziggy is still consistently inconsistent.

Edited by NWBuck

On 9/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

It’s absolute garbage.

Just a hell of a missed opportunity. It almost feels like a community theatre production "Based on your favorite show from Donald Bellisario... the Spokane Players present 'Quantum Leaping'.

Edited by NWBuck

OK, a few additional thoughts…

The second storyline (“meanwhile, back in the lab!”) is really dragging this show down. First, it takes away from the “leaping” narrative for the week. Subsequently, we don’t give a shit about Ben or the people whose lives he’s fallen into. Since this was the heart of the original series- we connected with Sam and felt that he cared about the people around him- it’s taking the soul out of the whole concept. Feels like a V8 engine missing 5 sparkplugs.

Also, the writing on this second element is really terrible. Because they’re limited in the amount of time they have to spend here, it really feels like they’re just trying to jam two stories together, connectedness be damned. For instance, the most recent episode had the following climactic sequence back in ‘real time’: “Hey, the antagonist is at a house! Look, the door is unlocked. Wait, there’s a rug out of place and a basement hatch under it. Wow, there’s a lot of science-y stuff here, we should take some back with us. Hmm, the antagonist is calling me. Oh no, this place is booby-trapped and starting to blow up! Quick, try to grab something and get out! Whew, we made it out with a hard drive just in time! Hurry, let’s go back to the lab before any other person comes to see what’s happening.” If you watched it, you’ll know that it took longer for me to type that than the actual “action” was being portrayed on the screen.

I’m sure that the actors involved are quite talented, but they’re not being given anything to work with. The writing feels like something you’d see in a terrible CBS procedural spin off… this past week, it felt like the “C” storyline from “CIS Tulsa”.

Finally, a thought from a friend of mine (huge QL fan): “I’m really glad that they’re working to diversify the cast and the plots/situations, but it’s terrible that they’re still using such terrible stereotypes. Both of the super-smart characters are Asians. The African American is a weary guy who’s seen some things (a low-rent Murtaugh). There are three white characters- a sassy gay guy, the villain, and the girlfriend. Just lazy writing. No reason for me to be curious about them or interested in what they’re trying to do…”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...