Job hunting

Macanudo

Sort of, kind of.   In my previous role (until 2018) I dealt with the employer on a whole host of things.    In my current role, my team trains the back office processing.   We teach people how to deposit money into accounts, move it around and distribute it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2023 at 11:31 AM, Dbeasy said:

The HMO’s in Texas ObamaCare have terrible doctor networks. If you have health issues, I’d stay on Cobra as long as you can, unless the delta price is too much to bear. 

late reply but 100%. Many doc organizations don't want to mess with many of the ACA HMOs. The result is that it's probably difficult to get into to see a doctor that does accept them. Basically the same problem that you find with Medicaid.

The good news is that not all ObamaCare plans are HMO.

Has anyone figured out how to exclude jobs that have been posted on several locations (Deloitte and PwC, I'm looking at you) and/or how to filter out tech related ones?     I don't solely rely on the job boards (LinkedIn, Indeed, The Ladders, Google Jobs, etc.) but several of those are terrible for posting everything within an industry when the job is super tech heavy.  The Ladders and LinkedIn are particularly bad about that.   When I'm looking for a job in the financial industry it gets really tiresome having to look past all of the IT related ones.    

Most of the sales people I know in their 40s and 50s are having trouble getting jobs.  Ageism.

The biggest problem is salary expectations. Your 20-30 years of experience really is overkill for a lot of positions that ask for 10 years of experience. As a 50 YO, I’d like to argue that the extra expertise matters and it justifies my salary expectations but most employers don’t view it that way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The biggest problem is salary expectations. Your 20-30 years of experience really is overkill for a lot of positions that ask for 10 years of experience. As a 50 YO, I’d like to argue that the extra expertise matters and it justifies my salary expectations but most employers don’t view it that way.

It’s actually more ageism than salary expectations. Many older workers are fine working for what the position pays. The ageism is really bad right now. I talked to a cybersecurity engineer who is one of the most incredible talents out there and he can’t get an interview and it’s because he’s older. 

I imagine it varies quite a bit by field and domain and tech is the absolute worst. I could see areas where you'd want younger sales reps (pharma, maybe) but tons where you want the 50 year old guy who lives on the golf course. Cybersecurity engineer, yeah people will assume you are out of touch or very young orgs will simply....

d26bc5f8-7a59-4758-bcb7-f39a13da5547_tex

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s actually more ageism than salary expectations. Many older workers are fine working for what the position pays. The ageism is really bad right now. I talked to a cybersecurity engineer who is one of the most incredible talents out there and he can’t get an interview and it’s because he’s older. 

Ironically enough, I have a 38 year old buddy, great guy, been out of work for 10 months.  He used to not hire people over 40.  Said they were expensive and slow to change.  Some irony there.

Tech is a weird one.  Sales is shifting.  Do you want the hustler who makes 80 dials a day making 120-150 or do you want to savvy guy who is "too senior" to cold call makign 300k.  Savvy old guy has the rolodex and experience.  Tough times in tech for sure.

18 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Check your Dem, joto.

Ironically enough, I have a 38 year old buddy, great guy, been out of work for 10 months.  He used to not hire people over 40.  Said they were expensive and slow to change.  Some irony there.

Tech is a weird one.  Sales is shifting.  Do you want the hustler who makes 80 dials a day making 120-150 or do you want to savvy guy who is "too senior" to cold call makign 300k.  Savvy old guy has the rolodex and experience.  Tough times in tech for sure.

The young hustlers don’t speak legacy monolith and thus are useless on modernization projects. My clients (insurance and financial services) are sick of trying to explain legacy tech to AWS guys who keep trying to fit them into a box.

And the senior guys know how to strap on a quota and deliver.

My anecdotes differ somewhat.
  • Like 1

Most of the sales people I know in their 40s and 50s are having trouble getting jobs.  Ageism.

Reading this thread as a neutral observer, I do think it’s likely OP has encountered this at some point. Definitely out of touch at the onset (not a knock - it’s understandable having been at the same place for so long), but as it’s progressed to going 0-for on several positions for which they’re qualified, have to think there’s something else there. Even left to pure chance you’d probably expect OP to have gotten a decent offer by now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

The young hustlers don’t speak legacy monolith and thus are useless on modernization projects. My clients (insurance and financial services) are sick of trying to explain legacy tech to AWS guys who keep trying to fit them into a box.

Best English Motherfucker Do You Speak It GIFs | Gfycat

young guys are all fucked up with the s&m boxplay they've been watching on the cloud since their brains were new putty and don't know about a good fucking with an old fashioned monolithic strap on. seems clear to me.

i tend to agree that at the 100-150 application point mac has certainly encountered some ageism and it's also worth revisiting the resume and the general approach. You've had the resume looked at for ATS optimization? You're cramming whatever buzzwords they use in the job ad into a section at the top of your resume? You are otherwise tailoring the resume for the ad (if it is for a Lead Handjob Technician, that is what you have as your title up top, etc?)? Is your LinkedIn in OK shape?

I'm not a recruiting guy, I don't really know anything, but those are the things I'm wondering if can be improved. Or maybe, when I went through a job search a few years ago that was the feedback I got and doing those things seemed to lead to a higher hit rate.

What is your business?

On 3/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, Celery Man said:

i tend to agree that at the 100-150 application point mac has certainly encountered some ageism and it's also worth revisiting the resume and the general approach. You've had the resume looked at for ATS optimization? You're cramming whatever buzzwords they use in the job ad into a section at the top of your resume? You are otherwise tailoring the resume for the ad (if it is for a Lead Handjob Technician, that is what you have as your title up top, etc?)? Is your LinkedIn in OK shape?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.   

By the time I get done with my resume for each submission it's such a mush of word salad that I'm frankly kind of embarrased by it.  

On 2/28/2023 at 10:39 AM, closetohumping said:

Tough times in tech for sure.

This is truth. Beyond the big layoffs that have made the news there have been a lot of smaller tech layoffs and job openings are extremely competitive at the moment. I’m thinking about campaigning to add another developer on our team on the basis of, we could use it soon and we would definitely get higher caliber applicants in the current market.

Wish I had something more helpful for Mac but that was my one sliver of advice.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

This is truth. Beyond the big layoffs that have made the news there have been a lot of smaller tech layoffs and job openings are extremely competitive at the moment. I’m thinking about campaigning to add another developer on our team on the basis of, we could use it soon and we would definitely get higher caliber applicants in the current market.

Wish I had something more helpful for Mac but that was my one sliver of advice.

One of my friends at a tech firm said he has never seen the quality and quantity of candidates like he has the past few weeks. It's overwhelming and intimidating almost-- tons of extremely great talent with awesome backgrounds and experiences on the street right now, take advantage for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

One of my friends at a tech firm said he has never seen the quality and quantity of candidates like he has the past few weeks. It's overwhelming and intimidating almost-- tons of extremely great talent with awesome backgrounds and experiences on the street right now, take advantage for sure.

Great employers market.  You're able to disqualify on any criteria.

I asked this up thread before but I'll ask again.  I was originally given 4/28 as my last day.   Many with that date have been told verbally that our date is being pushed out.   Mine is now 9/15.   Nothing in writing which makes me very leary. 

Executive Leadership said that the company has to give 60 days notice to change the RIF date but that came and went last week.   Other rumor is that the extension is based on municipal as well as state rules.   Does anyone know anything about what should happen?   It won't be a huge change in my overall severance payout but it is a mid 4 figure number.   More than anything I just want something in writing that my date has changed.  

I mean, I’m not confused about the role of HR although maybe I’m confused about the nature of your question. It seems like you’re asking about what the company of theoretically obligated to do when the more practical question as you approach a month from your in writing severance date is what does your company intend to do? I don’t see the need for beating around the bush when their goal should be a clean and orderly separation and you are missing critical information on how that is going to work. But I feel like I’m missing something.

On 3/5/2023 at 7:16 PM, Macanudo said:

I asked this up thread before but I'll ask again.  I was originally given 4/28 as my last day.   Many with that date have been told verbally that our date is being pushed out.   Mine is now 9/15.   Nothing in writing which makes me very leary. 

Executive Leadership said that the company has to give 60 days notice to change the RIF date but that came and went last week.   Other rumor is that the extension is based on municipal as well as state rules.   Does anyone know anything about what should happen?   It won't be a huge change in my overall severance payout but it is a mid 4 figure number.   More than anything I just want something in writing that my date has changed.  

Mac, any roles at Fidelity you’re interested in? Saw they are hiring 3,000 people this year and have a big operation in North Texas. I have a few contacts over there. 

This thread is a bit eye opening. With a 3.6% unemployment rate, 10.8 million job openings, and many baby boomers retiring per day, I figured finding a job wouldn’t be so excruciating right now.

2008-2013 was pure dog shit. 3 million openings, millennials trying to break into the job market, boomers living longer and not leaving it despite being retirement age and ready for retirement.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got laid off myself about a month ago, have had a handful of good interviews with a few saying I'm a good fit but just haven't been able to close the deal.  What's frustrating for me are the p!aces who tell me they'll let me know one way or another but never do.  I'm 61 with over 30 years with manufacturing (grunt work), so I'm not looking to set the world a blaze with new employer, just somewhere to work until the wife decides she's ready to move back to Texas and be closer to granddaughter.  If there's a silver lining to all of this, not a bad time of year to be out of work with MM about to kick in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

This thread is a bit eye opening. With a 3.6% unemployment rate, 10.8 million job openings, and many baby boomers retiring per day, I figured finding a job wouldn’t be so excruciating right now.

2008-2013 was pure dog shit. 3 million openings, millennials trying to break into the job market, boomers living longer and not leaving it despite being retirement age and ready for retirement.

Super competitive in tech.  Lots of talent.  Plus quite a few of the postings aren't even real.  

Good luck to all.

This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but I’m seriously considering a career change. This is my 16th year of being a public school teacher and it has gotten harder and harder to stay in each year. My salary will never be much more than it is now and when we do get a raise it’s generally offset by a rise in our insurance premiums.

Reading through this thread it doesn’t seem like now is a very good time to start looking anyway but, if I were, are people even hiring former educators that may not have experience in that field but bring other useful skills to the table?

• Hook 'Em 1

This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but I’m seriously considering a career change. This is my 16th year of being a public school teacher and it has gotten harder and harder to stay in each year. My salary will never be much more than it is now and when we do get a raise it’s generally offset by a rise in our insurance premiums.

Reading through this thread it doesn’t seem like now is a very good time to start looking anyway but, if I were, are people even hiring former educators that may not have experience in that field but bring other useful skills to the table?

How’s your Onlyfans game?
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

Before you make a decision, just make sure to look at the size and timing of your pension. In a low interest rate environment, a decent never ending pension is equivalent to a multimillion dollar investment portfolio. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Before you make a decision, just make sure to look at the size and timing of your pension. In a low interest rate environment, a decent never ending pension is equivalent to a multimillion dollar investment portfolio. 

TRS is the one thing that has kept me from getting out, it’s not a bad retirement plan.