Job hunting

Macanudo

On 9/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, Bevo said:

I don't know if the problem was the question or the reply.

I was interviewing for a management position with a biotech company in the Bay Area.

Interviewer: So you are from Texas?

Me: Yes. Are you from there?

Interviewer: No.

Me: Have you ever visited there?

Interviewer: No.

Then, dead silence.

I am also in biotech and have had similar experiences with companies from California and Massachusetts. They think of all Texans as aggy who majored in meat judging. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

man I swear there's some sort of algorithm stuff that happens - I've been getting hit up my recruiters a bunch over the past week. My linkedin is up to date but I'm not active on the site or anything. I typically ignore low information feelers or send a polite "happy where I am thanks for the consideration". I feel like it would be smarter for me to be more open to listening to recruiters at least give the spiel, but man there's a bunch of emotions tied up in opening up to interviews. As a person with a BA who has spent my career in technical or near technical roles, tons of imposter syndrome. I always feel like everything I know is bullshit and surely they're looking for someone who can grind leetcode or draw up the architecture on a whiteboard after 2 minutes of discussion. And all I really feel like I've done is different flavors of project management and people handling. And I can say agile words. And if I say "sure thing here's my number and availability" to someone bugging me on linkedin, that opens up that whole process of rejection or maybe worse... not rejection and then I have to potentially make a risky choice and change things up again when I could also just say "nah" and keep chugging forward here where things are fine and I'm mostly happy.

but, if I step back from my emotional brain for a second I know that it's low risk to talk to somebody and I shouldn't care about rejection and I do in fact have competencies and background in several areas where I can generally be smarter than other perfectly smart people who might want to hire me. and the only reason I ever moved forward anywhere in my career was leaning into discomfort rather than safety.

Those "hi celery man my name is suresh and i have an interesting remote role for a financial services company that you would be perfect for can we chat" are easy enough to ignore but I just got one that I think I'll have to go get rejected for.

Again with the algorithms though, unless there's some very specific hiring thing going on in the last couple of weeks. In the past week I've gotten 3 or 4 of those very nondescript ones, plus one that seems fairly legit, and fuckin.... Capital One reaching out to see if I would interview for a software engineering job (I am not a software engineer).

On 10/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, Celery Man said:

man I swear there's some sort of algorithm stuff that happens - I've been getting hit up my recruiters a bunch over the past week. My linkedin is up to date but I'm not active on the site or anything. I typically ignore low information feelers or send a polite "happy where I am thanks for the consideration". I feel like it would be smarter for me to be more open to listening to recruiters at least give the spiel, but man there's a bunch of emotions tied up in opening up to interviews. As a person with a BA who has spent my career in technical or near technical roles, tons of imposter syndrome. I always feel like everything I know is bullshit and surely they're looking for someone who can grind leetcode or draw up the architecture on a whiteboard after 2 minutes of discussion. And all I really feel like I've done is different flavors of project management and people handling. And I can say agile words. And if I say "sure thing here's my number and availability" to someone bugging me on linkedin, that opens up that whole process of rejection or maybe worse... not rejection and then I have to potentially make a risky choice and change things up again when I could also just say "nah" and keep chugging forward here where things are fine and I'm mostly happy.

but, if I step back from my emotional brain for a second I know that it's low risk to talk to somebody and I shouldn't care about rejection and I do in fact have competencies and background in several areas where I can generally be smarter than other perfectly smart people who might want to hire me. and the only reason I ever moved forward anywhere in my career was leaning into discomfort rather than safety.

Those "hi celery man my name is suresh and i have an interesting remote role for a financial services company that you would be perfect for can we chat" are easy enough to ignore but I just got one that I think I'll have to go get rejected for.

Again with the algorithms though, unless there's some very specific hiring thing going on in the last couple of weeks. In the past week I've gotten 3 or 4 of those very nondescript ones, plus one that seems fairly legit, and fuckin.... Capital One reaching out to see if I would interview for a software engineering job (I am not a software engineer).

I have learned, for me, there is a mental chasm that gets crossed when I agree to start having conversations with recruiters. It's a crossing of the Rubicon so to speak, psychologically. It is me saying that there is a possibility that I will change jobs and by being open to that possibility, however low I think it is at the onset, I am mentally, emotionally, and psychologically moving away from being 100% committed and present to what I am currently doing.

That alone is taxing and that is to say nothing of being in active search and mid-stream in interviews (in my world interviewing is a full time job with loads of prep work and deliverables and presentations across anywhere from 4-8 different meetings with just as many different stakeholders) and the discipline needed to compartmentalize your current job and fighting against checking out.

Anyways, to your main point, I don't think it's algo based, I just think that this is the weirdest recession ever in that unemployment is mega low, lots of companies still need and want to hire, and while a lot are in hiring freezes, there are still lots of job reqs being opened daily.

Edited by MeerkatBong

Send those recruiters my way then.   I've had 1 interview so far and found out today that they're hiring an internal candidate.   Around 40 applications and 20+ rejections so far.  What's equally infuriating are the places I applied to 20-30 days ago and still haven't either gotten a reply at all or it's still "pending."  

I've been trying to stay in my field but now I'm getting creative and starting to apply for others but it really sucks because 20 years of experience in the retirement industry. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just pulled up my spreadsheet from my last go round in 2020.

104 applications, 42 rejections, 5 virtual screenings (no interview), 5 interviews, 3 offers.

Very frustrating was the trickle of both rejections and interview requests after I had taken a job. One job I was very excited about, very annoyed to get a call months after I had accepted an offer.

Keep your chin up. I tried to cater each resume to each application by using a template per job type and then inserting as much of the verbiage from the job description into my resume as was reasonable. I perceived a response rate uptick when I started doing that. I think doing the networking thing, targeting recruiters from specific companies for conversation, etc would have been a smarter move than my spray and pray approach. Although I was surprised that my sister reaching out to people at her old company to help for a job where I was overqualified yielded exactly nothing. Actually was surprised that I got no bites on that whole category (scrum master, where I had a cert and lots of experience but was a step back, as opposed to product owner/product manager/engineering manager where I got nibbles and bites).

Anyways, I hate the whole thing it sucks and I’m sorry you’re going through it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's really made me realize that as a hiring manager, my HR recruiter and I did a great job with reviewing apps when they came in, declining those we weren't interested in,  getting people pre-screened and then onto the interview phase better/faster than most places.  

Of the ones I have gotten straight out "no thanks" it's an average of 13 days from application to the follow up decline email.   Of the ones that haven't even bothered to send any kind of reply, it's been on average 28 days since I applied.   Several of those are large corporations so either they just suck at this or they just don't care because they know they'll get a lot of applications any ways. 

5 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Of the ones that haven't even bothered to send any kind of reply, it's been on average 28 days since I applied.   Several of those are large corporations so either they just suck at this or they just don't care because they know they'll get a lot of applications any ways. 

I’ve never received a “no thanks” or “position filled”. Not once. I’ve probably only applied a dozen or so places in last 15 years, on 2 occasions.  But I didn’t even know that was a thing. 

To follow up on some of my posts upthread. I confirmed that I did indeed bomb the fuck out of my virtual interview awhile back.  The guy that got me fast tracked was having a good laugh about it; dick.  Position still available but will have to go in as a contractor, which apparently doesn’t have the same (video interview) process. So much better day rate, but of course no rsu’s, promotion structure, or the like.  I’m getting to the age where I’d much prefer direct to contracting.   I wasn’t seriously interested when I did it, but thinking I might actually pursue it now.   

Hoping it trends up for you soon @Macanudo 

Any experience with contract to hire? Assuming the recruiter is not full of shit (and they seem to be a legit operation) this would be a really interesting position at a well known organization in an interesting field and definitely a nice step up in salary/title/responsibility. All things equal, if I were to manage to get an offer here it would be I think fairly foolish to turn it down out of fear of losing what I have. However, it is a contract to hire role. Recruiter described it as having a very generous benefits package from their firm until I would convert to a full time employee. Trying to press her a bit on the arrangement, she was characterizing it not as a trial period (obviously every job is in a trial period at all times) but one where the intention would be to convert to full time. Should I be wary or alarmed at that?

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Any experience with contract to hire? Assuming the recruiter is not full of shit (and they seem to be a legit operation) this would be a really interesting position at a well known organization in an interesting field and definitely a nice step up in salary/title/responsibility. All things equal, if I were to manage to get an offer here it would be I think fairly foolish to turn it down out of fear of losing what I have. However, it is a contract to hire role. Recruiter described it as having a very generous benefits package from their firm until I would convert to a full time employee. Trying to press her a bit on the arrangement, she was characterizing it not as a trial period (obviously every job is in a trial period at all times) but one where the intention would be to convert to full time. Should I be wary or alarmed at that?

Not uncommon in O&G when moving from contractor (construction) to an operator.  

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I did contract to hire a little over a decade ago with Hilton corporate global distribution management.  They converted me to full time after about 5 months. I actually am trying to get something instituted right now at my company since we have issues finding the right talent and we’ve been overpaying due to market competition.  The issue is that it’s made it harder to “coach” people out of a job when they suck, and letting people go for performance issues isn’t as easy as it once was.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well since responding to a LinkedIn message on Monday, I’ve gone through a screen, an interview with the head recruiter for the org, and have two panels with the team and company leadership on Monday. Recruiter says if things go well, offer mid week. Contract to hire makes sense if they’re trying to move fast like this but it’s still a bit terrifying. Recruiter mentioned short conversion window because they are trying to fill the role quickly (before a looming downturn), which seems like it could be good or bad. But scary that they would get me going before even really kicking the tires all that much. Which lets my imposter syndrome go wild but perhaps I need to focus first on doing ok in panels and then worry about betting on myself.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:05 AM, Celery Man said:

Well since responding to a LinkedIn message on Monday, I’ve gone through a screen, an interview with the head recruiter for the org, and have two panels with the team and company leadership on Monday. Recruiter says if things go well, offer mid week. Contract to hire makes sense if they’re trying to move fast like this but it’s still a bit terrifying. Recruiter mentioned short conversion window because they are trying to fill the role quickly (before a looming downturn), which seems like it could be good or bad. But scary that they would get me going before even really kicking the tires all that much. Which lets my imposter syndrome go wild but perhaps I need to focus first on doing ok in panels and then worry about betting on myself.

Just something to be aware of, when companies do hiring freezes and then RIF's, it's usually the recruiters and then the contract employers first. A real risk with the uncertainty of the macro-economics and environment for the next ~6 months, IMO. Were it me, I wouldn't leave unless I had a W2 role from the get-go, unless you are just dying to leave your current situation. Just rest and vest.

That said: I am actually leaving my safe organization for another organization soon, so I guess it's always a case-by-case evaluation.

Edited by MeerkatBong

I applied for a job that I thought I had a decent chance of at least getting an interview for yesterday afternoon.    It's with a competitor of my current company.   App sent on-line at 2:45 and confirmation email at 3:00.   Got a reject email this morning at 9:15.    Damn.

I know I'm being aggressive for the most part on what I apply for but this was one where my skills and experience lined up pretty well.   Ouch.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I applied for a job that I thought I had a decent chance of at least getting an interview for yesterday afternoon.    It's with a competitor of my current company.   App sent on-line at 2:45 and confirmation email at 3:00.   Got a reject email this morning at 9:15.    Damn.

I know I'm being aggressive for the most part on what I apply for but this was one where my skills and experience lined up pretty well.   Ouch.

man that's the fucking worst. the emotional journey from seeing that listing and imagining how easy of a fit and how perfect you would be and how certainly they must see that and understand etc etc etc, and then the gut punch. Fuckin sucks.

The job was already filled. I am sure someone here can confirm or correct me, but this seems common. Especially in O&G. I have gotten job offers before that were not posted on the company site or a job board. Once I accepted, the companies asked me to go to their site and apply for the newly listed job. In both instances, after I applied, I have seen the job listing pop up on LinkedIn and Indeed, all the while knowing that I got the job and there is no opening.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The job was already filled. I am sure someone here can confirm or correct me, but this seems common. Especially in O&G. I have gotten job offers before that were not posted on the company site or a job board. Once I accepted, the companies asked me to go to their site and apply for the newly listed job. In both instances, after I applied, I have seen the job listing pop up on LinkedIn and Indeed, all the while knowing that I got the job and there is no opening.

I can see how that happens.   But this one showed up on the internal employer site 5 days ago and not on LinkedIn/Indeed.  And it's still there today.  

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Have done same, O&G majors.  

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I can see how that happens.   But this one showed up on the internal employer site 5 days ago and not on LinkedIn/Indeed.  And it's still there today.  

I’ve done same on internal sites, too.  I’m betting it was filled or 80% filled, anyhow.  

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The job was already filled.

This. Not in OG, in a bunch of industries, it is quite common that companies have internal requirements to post jobs for X days etc. But they already had their candidate chosen before they posted anything. The posting will stay active for however many days to satisfy their internal posting requirement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This week just keeps getting better and better!   

• Had a recruiter reach out to me for a phone screen.   The job is similar to the one I did back in 2012.    I've been promoted 4 times since then and my resume reflects that.
  • I'm being contacted by MLM people now.   So I have that going for me which is nice.
  • The job I posted about earlier in the week (the one that 86'ed me in less than 24 hours) is still posted.    

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

• Had a recruiter reach out to me for a phone screen.   The job is similar to the one I did back in 2012.    I've been promoted 4 times since then and my resume reflects that.
  • I'm being contacted by MLM people now.   So I have that going for me which is nice.
  • The job I posted about earlier in the week (the one that 86'ed me in less than 24 hours) is still posted.    

I presume that at this point, you are taking more seriously my suggestion of getting in shape and starting an Onlyfans account, right?

Seriously, and you know this -- just keep on truckin'.  It is a numbers game, and it will happen.  Sorry it's this shitty and stressful.  You deserve better.  But, maybe if you kept up your looks to the "successful Onlyfans account" level, you'd have found success sooner.  I'm just saying.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I presume that at this point, you are taking more seriously my suggestion of getting in shape and starting an Onlyfans account, right?

Seriously, and you know this -- just keep on truckin'.  It is a numbers game, and it will happen.  Sorry it's this shitty and stressful.  You deserve better.  But, maybe if you kept up your looks to the "successful Onlyfans account" level, you'd have found success sooner.  I'm just saying.

Seriously, Brisket, how many times do I have to tell you I'm not sending you any pictures.

22 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I'm 52.   Yeah, that starts to be an issue when it's time to move on from a company.

Reason I ask is I’m trying to cement myself now (just almost barely a man) because I’ve seen it get rough for folks in late 50’s. My goal is to try and land somewhere I wouldn’t mind finishing with my next move. A good 15+ years to hopefully cement myself there, so I don’t fall into that (not that you are, I’ve just seen it before)

The place where I bombed the vid interview would have been one such place.   Keep your head up. It’s going to work out. 

19 hours ago, Macanudo said:

You also have to realize HR posts jobs sometimes to determine how much interest there is in the job with no intention of hiring anyone as there is no spot to be filled. They could be resume farming. It could be someone is asking for more money, and they want to see if they can be replaced. It could be some weird HR goal of determining interest in positions to see the amount of recruiting they will need to do in the future, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You also have to realize HR posts jobs sometimes to determine how much interest there is in the job with no intention of hiring anyone as there is no spot to be filled. They could be resume farming. It could be someone is asking for more money, and they want to see if they can be replaced. It could be some weird HR goal of determining interest in positions to see the amount of recruiting they will need to do in the future, etc. 

This practice is called “evergreening” from the conversations I’ve had with my internal HR teams and in my experiences with getting job reqs approved and offers out. It sucks because it gives green job seekers (pardon the pun) false hope, but it’s helpful for a number of internal metrics (as mentioned above). You typically see it in the larger enterprise organizations fwiw.

• 2 weeks later...

60 day mark.   I've been applying to jobs since August 31.   

• 80 applications
  • 54 outright declines or the position is closed with no reply.
  • 3 are still open but I never got a response and it's been more than 30 days
  • 2 interviews but in both cases have been told they are hiring internally
  • 21 applications over the past 20 days that are still possibles but 8 were made between 2-3 weeks ago so not looking good on those

When I do apply I tighten up my resume to align with what I am applying for.   If they allow for a cover letter, I basically write a whole new one for each position.   It's not like I'm applying for things way outside of my skillset and experience.  It's just tough sledding with very little to show for it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's getting really damn frustrating being declined from a great fit and seeing the job still open weeks later.   WTF.  Oh, and got told that a position I talked to a someone about last week was filled internally.   But the req is still up on their site.

My old (aerospace) employer decided to get rid of product development a couple of years ago. I was told I would be one of the last laid off, and given an incentive to stick around until they decided to drop me. I’m 59. 

I spent the last two years networking (having lunch with old co-workers). It turns out that it’s a good idea to not be a dock at work. 

Earlier this year, my boss (a friend) told me that October-ish was when I would be dropped. A friend at another aerospace company locally said they were hiring in expectation of getting a new contract. I went to a hiring event (first checking in with my friends at the company already, to make sure they prepared a path for me with the hiring managers) and got an offer…for 3% less than current salary. Honestly, I get it- I was a manager, but the new employer already has managers. I interviewed and was hired as an individual contributor. I figure that if they get busy enough, the rest will take care of itself. meanwhile, I’m updating skills. (I have a small pension to compensate for the drop in pay) and kind of consider myself a free agent if something better comes along. 

My plan is to try to make myself more valuable in this big, new organization by mentoring the young guys, sharing all the stuff I’ve picked up over the past 38 years. 

Hang in there, Mac. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:19 AM, closetohumping said:

I’m competing with 250 job applicants per req😣

It's a bit of a bloodbath out there right now. I just got through about 6 weeks of negotiating which was a knife fight to get what was a first or second offer just 8-9 months ago when you could name your price in the job market.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

It's a bit of a bloodbath out there right now. I just got through about 6 weeks of negotiating which was a knife fight to get what was a first or second offer just 8-9 months ago when you could name your price in the job market.

Yep. I’m in saas.  Bloodbath.  Had a couple of offers rescinded and was a finalist for three others.  Been horrible

In my field (Retirement Services) there's been a healthy amount of things for me to post for.   It's just been a shitfest getting an interview.   I'm confident that I can sell myself and have accomplishments that show that.    But 80 rejections or closed reqs later and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 2

If you’re currently employed and want to do something else at your company, I would embrace HR coaching. It sounds like brochure bullshit, but it has helped me. At a minimum, it’ll shuffle your resume towards the top and can help in your current role. I was invited to interview for two internal positions recently that I never would have gotten without HR help. 

The whole experience has made me appreciate(?) HR. I still think they’re the layoff boogeymen, but they can help when it’s high cotton. 

Chiming in to offer good karma thoughts to the folks in this thread looking for work.  Everyone in the World falls into two categories:

1) Those of us who have been RIF'd or outright fired.

2) Those of us who will inevitably be RIF'd or outright fired.

Stinks both ways.  Good luck guys.  Serious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/22/2022 at 12:01 PM, Macanudo said:

In my field (Retirement Services) there's been a healthy amount of things for me to post for.   It's just been a shitfest getting an interview.   I'm confident that I can sell myself and have accomplishments that show that.    But 80 rejections or closed reqs later and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.  

You in Austin? Charles Schwab has more than half of their RBS unit in Austin.

99 Days since I started and submitted my 100th app today.    I started using Jobscan to check my CV and cover letter last week.   I thought I was doing a pretty good job of matching up my resume with the job req but decided to give it a whirl.    More of a difference than I thought there would be and now each resume really looks like the job description so hopefully I can get by the ATS if that was what was messing me up.

The good new is that I had a 1st round interview with a company here in Houston that went well.    I left being told that I'm moving on to round 2 but there is an internal candidate so that shit sandwich might get served again.    I've had that happen twice so far where an internal candidate was the hire.  

So, 100 applications and 4 interviews.    86 closed reqs or declines.   I'm so far below the Mendoza line it's not even remotely funny.

• Like 5

May be worth working with a professional resume service depending on your experience to help craft an awesome CV. I started applying to lots of place around November 2021 - January 2022 and was having a pretty shitty hit rate. Met with a few resume service places and went with one that was highly rated on LinkedIn in February. They were pros and helped tease out more outcomes vs. responsibilities and other common shit folks fall victim to when writing their CV. The package I went with included a fancy visually popping PDF (pic in front of tree of course), word
Version to make your own tweaks, txt file to use for certain online applications, overhaul of my LinkedIn profile and some other shit.

After that, got interviews with Google, Amazon, Apple, Meta, Nvidia and a few interesting startups. Made it to the final rounds with Meta, Amazon, two starts, offers from Amazon and the startups, accepted director gig at one of the startups in April.

Numbers game for sure when just doing cold applications without an in, which of course is always preferred. Good luck and hang in there.

Fuck cover letters, ain’t nobody got time for that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1