The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

Behind this typically terse statement from Buckingham Palace is the understanding that the Queen is very ill and is 96 years old. 

Regardless of thoughts on the monarchy, she has spent her life doing a mostly excellent job in a position she did not choose and might have rejected if she knew what it meant.  She still means something to even the Republican Anglo-phone world and we will sense something missing when she is gone. 

God Save the Queen. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

She was a jeep-driver in WW2 or something.  They don't make 'em like that anymore.  Our ancestors 250 years ago had legitimate grievances with the British Crown.  Myself, I'm willing to let bygones by bygones.  Great Britain has been our best ally for a long time.  British people are super cool.  The queen is a badass.  

God Save the Queen.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The BBC has interrupted all programming and is live from Balmoral where the whole family is gathered. 

yeah, the fact that all uk programming is now live news is telling. the palace would tell them to knock it off if it wasn't very serious. 

god save the queen. 

Just now, hayden_horn said:

yeah, the fact that all uk programming is now live news is telling. the palace would tell them to knock it off if it wasn't very serious. 

god save the queen. 

They’re all in protocol too. Dark suits or dresses. Operations London Bridge is in effect indeed

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

And not just that, but the fact that we’ve never talked of a king of England, and we’ll never again see a queen.

who would have to die in a helicopter accident for a king ralph situation to get us to a queen?

Just now, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Porque no?

because prince william's oldest is prince george. 

Edited by elfenix

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

who would have to die in a helicopter accident for a king ralph situation to get us to a queen?

because prince william's oldest is prince george. 

He could change his pronouns!

(going for the lulz here, no disrespect intended for the lgbqt, but Godalmighty wouldn't that be a shitshow).

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

i'd like to go back in time and tell charles as a young man that he'd be fully into his seventies before he became king

He *should* abdicate and let William rule for 40+ years.  But he's been waiting for his mom to die so he could finally be King and feel all the things he thinks he deserves from the British public (who seem to like Kate and William 1000x more, so....) 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, South Austin said:

Charles seems like he sucks.

He wanted to be Camilla’s tampon. I don’t think anyone really likes him except her. He does have a pretty consistent record on environmental causes. But he just sucks. I predict all lesser royals will be cut off financially by the end of the year. People criticize Harry and Meghan for leaving but Charles was going to cut them off anyway. 

• Rage+1 1

Behind this typically terse statement from Buckingham Palace is the understanding that the Queen is very ill and is 96 years old. 

Regardless of thoughts on the monarchy, she has spent her life doing a mostly excellent job in a position she did not choose and might have rejected if she knew what it meant.  She still means something to even the Republican Anglo-phone world and we will sense something missing when she is gone. 

God Save the Queen. 

77aeccb807b25ce563a481b18b3f9c55.jpg

Is there another kind?

56 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

I’m not going to know how to react until I hear a podcast from Harry and Meghan about how this affects them.

Well, apparently they are in transit to Balmoral, so I'd argue, this is the end for queen, because it's hard to imagine any other scenario where Meghan would return to England at this point.

As a reminder:  The House of Windsor is actually the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.  She had grandparents that spoke German fluently and as a first language.

Edited by Bateshorn

50 minutes ago, Parliament said:

She was a jeep-driver in WW2 or something.  They don't make 'em like that anymore.  Our ancestors 250 years ago had legitimate grievances with the British Crown.  Myself, I'm willing to let bygones by bygones.  Great Britain has been our best ally for a long time.  British people are super cool.  The queen is a badass.  

God Save the Queen.  

Volunteered to be a truck driver and jeep mechanic at age 18 during WWII.  Only female royal to have served in the military.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II