The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

3 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Volunteered to be a truck driver and jeep mechanic at age 18 during WWII.  Only female royal to have served in the military.

She loved tinkering with vintage Land Rovers and spent much of her country time until she got too old in the garages with the repair men overhauling trucks.

‘Tis but a scratch. That bitch will outlive us all. Her body isn’t just attacking Covid it’s killing the shit out of it. Seriously though it would be a big deal. I don’t think Charles or even William can save this dumb tradition. I thought it was cute that a grandma was queen. The two successors seem douchy af.  Make Charlotte a child monarch instead. That would be interesting. It’s not like they have any real responsibilities but to spread money and take photos.

7 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Why? Because some people don't like him? He's been training for this his entire life. I'd tell everyone to fuck off as I put that crown on my head. 

The popularity of and support for the monarchy has steady declined in the past decade.  Brits are already split on who should succeed QE2, but William is generally seen as more likely to do a good job compared to Charles (by 20 points), especially for younger Brits, who are already way less likely to think the monarchy needs to even exist anymore.  Even anti-Monarchists have more faith in William than Charles. 

In my opinion, William is better for the future and credibility of the monarchy.  The British public has less confidence in Sausage Fingers and he's already 73.  

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Regardless of thoughts on the monarchy, she has spent her life doing a mostly excellent job in a position she did not choose and might have rejected if she knew what it meant.  She still means something to even the Republican Anglo-phone world and we will sense something missing when she is gone. 

Best Fuck That Steve Buscemi GIFs | Gfycat

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I don't see why Charles should refuse or quickly abdicate. It's not like he's that unpopular and his popularity will rise with the death of his mom and subsequent coronation.

Also the story is that his mom has refused abdication because it's their families' service to accept the role they have and not run away from it. That's his role model for his role as king. 

Still he's 73 and won't last forever.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

It’s a constitutional monarchy, which has the added twist of the constitution not being written down anywhere, but rather a collection of traditions. It works if the monarch stays out of policy, observes political neutrality, and blindly follows the traditions. 

The monarch has two key roles to play-

1. They open parliament after an election. That makes the parliament official. 
2. they accept and receive the Prime Minister. That makes the government official. (Similarly, they accept when a PM dissolves a government). 

If you do away with the monarch, the UK probably has a lot of work to do to codify how things work. 

17 minutes ago, statsman said:

It’s a constitutional monarchy, which has the added twist of the constitution not being written down anywhere, but rather a collection of traditions. It works if the monarch stays out of policy, observes political neutrality, and blindly follows the traditions. 

The monarch has two key roles to play-

1. They open parliament after an election. That makes the parliament official. 
2. they accept and receive the Prime Minister. That makes the government official. (Similarly, they accept when a PM dissolves a government). 

If you do away with the monarch, the UK probably has a lot of work to do to codify how things work. 

That sounds really stupid for a country that once ran half the damn planet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't see why Charles should refuse or quickly abdicate. It's not like he's that unpopular and his popularity will rise with the death of his mom and subsequent coronation.

Also the story is that his mom has refused abdication because it's their families' service to accept the role they have and not run away from it. That's his role model for his role as king. 

Still he's 73 and won't last forever.

Sounds like her dad shit talking his brother.

4 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I guess the BBC anchors have all changed to black which is a indication operation London bridge has started. 

my london colleague said that there haven't been any anchors sighted for awhile, just shots of the airport and gates at balmoral.

they are probably changing though. it looks like she may have already passed. and there's a special news program on at 6pm UK time. 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

That sounds really stupid for a country that once ran half the damn planet.

Well, thinking on it, it makes a certain amount of sense.  The monarch isn't elected and so isn't subject to political expediency in the same way as elected leaders.  The monarch has kind of a consulting role with a Prime Minister, at least, and has the opportunity to be the "conscience" of the nation, or to urge leaders to do the right thing instead of the expedient thing.

But if the monarch is a raving orange lunatic, can also be conveniently ignored.

• immamac changed the title to The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II