Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, Daniel Craig, Kathryn Hahn, Edward Norton, etc.)

atomheartbevo

In the follow-up to Rian Johnson's Knives Out, Detective Benoit Blanc travels to Greece to peel back the layers of a mystery involving a new cast of colorful suspects. Starring Daniel Craig, Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick, Madelyn Cline with Kate Hudson and Dave Bautista.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, Daniel Craig, Kathryn Hahn, Edward Norton, etc.)

In!

Also, I could have sworn I saw an ad last night for another movie like this coming out (but IIRC the cast was different).  When I saw the ad I assumed it was Knives Out 2 but didn't see Daniel Craig in the preview).  Wish I could remember the cast members I did see.

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

In!

Also, I could have sworn I saw an ad last night for another movie like this coming out (but IIRC the cast was different).  When I saw the ad I assumed it was Knives Out 2 but didn't see Daniel Craig in the preview).  Wish I could remember the cast members I did see.

Wasn’t Death on the Nile or whatever was it?

Just now, mdmost said:

I enjoy you saying you hope he stays in his lane and doesn't pull some Last Jedi shit with the franchise he created. He has every right to do that with his franchise. 

You're right there, I didn't realize he wrote it.  I assumed it was adapted from a book.

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

No. We did not realize knives out was exactly the same as the last Jedi. 

Some directors have the same theme in all their movies. Ang Lee is one; Rian Johnson is another. Ang's movies are all about unspoken/hidden passions. Rian's are deconstructions of genre; taking well-known tropes and reversing them.

In the Last Jedi, you have a bitter old hero and a sympathetic villain. In Knives Out, it's a murder mystery where you know who the murderer is right from the start.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, DDD Dad said:

In!

On 9/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Wasn’t Death on the Nile or whatever was it?

On 9/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, DDD Dad said:

No definitely was not a reboot of an Agatha Christie title. 

I had drunk a couple martinis so it’s very possible I just misremembered the cast. 

Figured it out. See How They Run. 

• Drool 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

$1.3 Billion box office says it was a small, insignificant part of the audience that felt that way. 

The Highest-Grossing Star Wars Movies, Ranked (Adjusted For Inflation) (screenrant.com)

There isn't much of a difference between The Rise of Skywalker's original box office intake and the gross profit adjusted for inflation, as it's the newest movie in the franchise and only three years old. But regardless of which way fans look at it, it's still an overall disappointment and a relatively uneventful release that Disney would rather forget.

On 9/8/2022 at 12:41 PM, Augustus said:

Me, too.

Knives Out was really good.

Still don't know why you ask a British actor to affect a southern drawl, but whatever.

How Craig did his West Virginia accent as Joe Blast in Logan Lucky was entertaining as hell. The fact he didn’t do it exceptionally well is strangely what made it work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it in theaters tonight.  Very fun movie.  It managed to keep the spirit and fun of the first movie with completely new characters in a much different setting, so it doesn't feel like you're just watching an identical clone of the first flick.  I could watch several of these if they kept going.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’m in for several more as well. I watched it tonight on Netflix. I still like the first one better but enjoyed this one. I could however watch Janelle Monáe all day and all night long. Interesting that close to the beginning you see Stephen Sondheim on a zoom meeting. Interesting that One, he died a year ago so was he dead then or was this filmed a year or two ago? AND, two, Sondheim co-wrote with Anthony Perkins one of my all-time favorite old movies The Last of Sheila. A similar kind of feel as the Knives Out movies and so were these movies influenced by that movie? I can see it. 

11 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I enjoyed it. It was several orders of magnitude better than the usual shit they throw up on Netflix. 

Agree with this.

Blanc's conclusions about Miles' genius were hilarious, especially with regard to the lights going out for a bit.

The more I recall different moments from the film, the more I realize how thoroughly enjoyable it was.

Edited by Augustus
Forgot an apostrophe. Inexcusable.