The Peripheral (Amazon Prime)

Parliament

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2022 at 10:29 PM, KaiserSoze said:

Very well done so far. I've been reading William Gibson's books since the 1980s and love seeing more of his work being brought to screen... super happy we're finally entering an age where it can be done well for some of it.

Had no idea this was a William Gibson adaptation until the opening credits. Have only read Neuromancer, but can see some of the similar concepts and dialog flowing thru.  Neat book, but It wasn't an easy read.  Not sure if his other works are similar. 

Great episode. This series is like a great book revealing shit one chapter at a time. I can posit a wild ass guess where this is going, and what she, Burton and the gang are going to have to do about it. But yea, it's a great fucking series.

Spoilers. Thoughts. Don't read until you watch the episode and are stupid enough to entertain my stupid ass guess on where this is going.

Spoiler

The Jackpot happened because the future fucked with Flynne's timeline, tested shit out, and blew it up. She, Burton, and the gang are going to become the 4th wall in the new world. It was deliberate that there are only 3 walls in that analogy which begs where's the 4th? They'll wreck shit in in 70 year future London. As a compromise, they will keep the future from creating the Jackpot.

Wild ass guess: Alita is somehow related to Flynne? Can't be daughter cause the would make Alita 60 which she isn't. 

Flynne dies in 10 years. Future is 70 years.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Also, the very name of the event, "The Jackpot", hints that someone or someones got very wealthy from the event.

I don't remember why the past people are referred to as "polts" but I'm thinking/hoping it's short for "poltergeist", meaning they are dead and are ghosts, so to speak.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:
  Hide contents

Also, the very name of the event, "The Jackpot", hints that someone or someones got very wealthy from the event.

I don't remember why the past people are referred to as "polts" but I'm thinking/hoping it's short for "poltergeist", meaning they are dead and are ghosts, so to speak.

They said thats what it stood for in ep 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

torn. i'll continue to give it a shot, but i was struggling to make it through episode two.

Spoiler

i wish the series writers would have figured out a way to showcase the main weapon -- that visual in my mind was so fucking cool. i'll be be surprised if they are able to recreate the peripheral "weapons" later on as well. the focus on the peripherals vs the Clanton bubba militia has also been flipped. that said, re-imagining a Gibson novel for a streaming series must he a helluva difficult task.

the actors for Alita and Ash are incredibly boring. Moretz is a great Flynne.

disclaimer - lifelong Gibson addict

Whenever time travel is involved my brain gets fucked up.  In this world, the future can reach back into the past and find multiple "stubs" where the past branched out differently?  Like climbing down tree and going up a different branch?  I guess we'll find out the point of doing that during the season somehow?  And rich klept homie is killing off his great grand family in these stubs because...why?  Are we going to find out later that the actions within a stub can also alter this future timeline? 

the future, as in many chronicled years later than another reference point, has the ability to instantiate and use the inhabitants of a stub in the past to make changes that may or may not modify the future as well as a different past. i probably should stay in the kiddie horology pool, but it then follows that the past could instantiate their own stubs within the future as well. iow batting practice with balls of confusion.

well, you know, that's just like my opinion man.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:25 PM, The University said:

torn. i'll continue to give it a shot, but i was struggling to make it through episode two.

Hide contents

i wish the series writers would have figured out a way to showcase the main weapon -- that visual in my mind was so fucking cool. i'll be be surprised if they are able to recreate the peripheral "weapons" later on as well. the focus on the peripherals vs the Clanton bubba militia has also been flipped. that said, re-imagining a Gibson novel for a streaming series must he a helluva difficult task.

the actors for Alita and Ash are incredibly boring. Moretz is a great Flynne.

disclaimer - lifelong Gibson addict

Nothing boring about Charlotte Riley. Bad take. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:24 AM, Augustus said:

Also, hearing the thick Scottish accent emanate from Ash is funny.  Reminds me of the Asian comedian (Henry Cho?) who exaggerated a southern drawl accent.

Yeah. NGL. I’m Asian myself but when I used to see Asians with British accents it threw me for a loop. 

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Just started this. I like how one of the neon signs in the bar in the blueridge mountains had Texas on it.

as part of the world building they have been doing adding little bits and pieces per episode, the last episode mentioned that Burton and his haptic connection veterans fought in Texas.

For the Marines and Army to be sent to fight in Texas, that means some serious shit went down in Texas. 

In this world the most likely event would have been either a nacro invasion.... OR the Republic of Texas folks succeed in seceding from the US, resulting in Civil War 2.0.

could be a mistake of the filmmakers, not noticing it,  or maybe thats a purposeful tribute thing to "what was" in a bar set 10 years in the future.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Surprised that this series doesn't get more attention. Writing, set designs, special effects, acting and story telling are top notch. I have not read the book and do not know anything about it. But much like the Rings of Power series, people who are versed with the book vehemently dislike this series. I guess ignorance is bliss because I am digging the fuck out of this series.

With that said, I can see the other side as I am a meh fan of the Rings of Power. I thought/think the creators are taking way too much liberty with canon in that series. That series is amazing on acting, set design, special effects. I guess the curse of knowing is a bad thing.

I haven't read the source material, either, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the show.  Dolores' dad is playing a hell of a good evil son of a bitch.  Crucifying the bikers was just the right bit of showmanship, in my book.

The characters have a lot of depth and manage to be thoroughly interesting.  Loved the Inspector from Metropol.

this show is really good, fantastic even, however, todays episode had a pretty big writers miss.

Spoiler

So they spent the time to tell us that one day, while in the army Burton walks into a bar, glances at a guy, and then his memory goes dark, with Burton waking up in the stockade the next day. 

and it turned out that one of his haptic connected buddies had had their ass beaten to a pulp by that guy he saw in the bar.... so the haptic connection took over and immediately allowed Burton to go full fucking terminator and beat the piss out of the guy at the bar, getting him eventually arrested, where he wakes up the next day.

so they took the time to tell us that story, and implied that the haptic connection is fucking dangerous as hell.....

yet Reece is haptic connected, meaning he knows the same shit Burton knows, and that he saw and experienced Burton barely fucking surviving the unkillable Irishman's attack on the bridge... i.e. that Irishmans face is fucking known.

so HOW THE FUCK DID REECE NOT FUCKING RECOGNIZE THE IRISHMAN WAS AN IMMEDIATE DANGER?

I mean shit, the writers could have had the irishman still besting him in a fight and it wouldnt piss me off as much as the writers setting up a major plot point on how the haptics work, only to immediately ignore that plot point when they need to have a sneak attack. 

I’ve been hot and cold on this show. It was so confusing early on I’d punt and move on to something else. Just finished 4-7 and holy shit, an onion has been peeled. Really great show.

Inspector is a great actress; surprisingly she’s American. Cherise good as well but her character comes across as a little too villainous IMO. No need to play the 007 angle.

• Hook 'Em 1