PSA for Blues Lovers - Austin EastsIde Kings Festival this weekend

horn4life

Don't know how many of you guys are blues lovers such as myself, but last year I found a hidden jewel in Ausin. The Eastside Kings Festival.  Compared to Austin's other lauded and profitable festivals this event is a throwback to days gone by.  IT's never going to be a big deal simply because so many of the participants are in their 70's.  But if you love the blues I cannot recommend enough going and checking out the shows this weekend.  There are two shows at Antones, but many of the same players can be seen in smaller venues on Eat 12th and Chicon.

This "festival" is more a labor of love than an opportunity to profit for the promoters.  If you love the blues and would like to see some of the old time players who helped lay the foundation of America's home grown music this is a fun low cost way to see some classic players.

The wife and I really enjoyed it last year.  We got some great seats at the King Bee on East 12 and watched a succession of great blues performances to our enjoyment.  The tickets were $25 for the day, and it was sort of fun to check out the bars on 12th that I don't normally frequent living in NW Austin.  Anyhow if you love the blues go see some of the best old blues players you will ever get a chance to see.  

Hopefully after the Alabama game we ourselves will NOT have the blues, but this is a great way to hear the blues!  Like I said, this is likely the least profitable festival in Austin.  But it has become one that was easy to enjoy.  If you love the blues, do yourself a favor and grab a friend, gal or wife and go check it out if you like the old school blues.  Bring hearing protection as in the small venues some of these guys crank it pretty loud.  https://www.eastsidekingsfest.com/

I had meant to go prior to covid, and went last year finally.  It's not fancy at all, but if you want to see some real blues players and give them some love, this is a little known festival that has grown a little closer to my heart after attending.  I haven't looked over the billings very well, but I know there are some jewels in their.  Bloodiest Sax caught my eye for example not knowing WTF that is.  But I guess I'll find out!  

Hopefully I am giddy like a mofo Saturday night after a Texas victory over Alabama, but if likely reality plays out at least I can hear the blues as I feel them! 😉

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

I spent the better part of SXSW one year at Lambert's recording all kinds of bands on Eddie Stout's Dialtone Records label, which is behind this festival.

I'm not sure any of it ever made it to the public, but I enjoyed "having to" sit and listen to a shit-ton of legit, old-school blues musicians.

• Hook 'Em 1