Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Lumineers in Austin at Moody presale tickets started today. My 17 year old and I were supposed to see Colter Wall at Gruene Hall but he cancelled all shows for covid. Lumineers at Moody was the back up plan.  Got two tickets just now.  The fact the my kid wants to hang with me some will keep me smiling all day today. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Nah, I offered him the 2 tickets and he could give the second one to anyone else.  He's mobile, has a truck and a job, doesn't need much from me.  He definitely went through the typical teenage years of wanting nothing to do with mom and dad, but things have trended the other direction the last year or so.  

48 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Orville Peck, @CooterBrown. Orville Peck.

Orville puts on a great live show.  I'll probably get tickets to Stubb's. It's crazy that just a couple of years ago I saw his show at the Mohawk indoor stage with a capacity crowd of like 100. I really didn't know he'd gotten big enough to move up to 2,000+ venues.

Took the older kid to see Mitski at the Bomb Factory last night. Pretty good show. I know a few songs and it was a good time. The logistics though were a shit show.

There was an hour line to get in. I get it, she's popular and the normal Dallas late arriving adult crowd wasn't there tonight. It was mostly 21 and below who are diehards. We got there at 7pm when the doors opened. Since it was a younger crowd, the Bomb Factory had additional rules that seemed pretty dumb. If you were under 16, you had to have a guardian with you. That's not a big deal and I get it from a liability standpoint. If you were over 16, you had to have your ID or school ID to get in. I get that too. You also had to have either your vax car or a negative covid test. I get that as well. Where it became a shit show is the staff had morons in it who were asking for birth certificates from some of the kids. There was nothing I could find on the ticket that said anything about that. So I, the parent of my child, holding both my ID and both our Covid vaccine cards had to argue with some moron about why it didn't matter that I didn't have my kid's birth certificate on hand. So am I just abducting someone else's kid to take to a concert? I asked the person if they would like to see the 14 years of photos I have of this kid on my phone from various points of her life? I finally moved out of line to talk to the box office who said "no that person is wrong, give them my name at the door and you'll go right in". After that, things were fine. Kid had a great time and got some fun merch. I got a huge at the end and a "thanks for bringing me" which was a victory I'll take nowadays. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Took the older kid to see Mitski at the Bomb Factory last night. Pretty good show. I know a few songs and it was a good time. The logistics though were a shit show.
There was an hour line to get in. I get it, she's popular and the normal Dallas late arriving adult crowd wasn't there tonight. It was mostly 21 and below who are diehards. We got there at 7pm when the doors opened. Since it was a younger crowd, the Bomb Factory had additional rules that seemed pretty dumb. If you were under 16, you had to have a guardian with you. That's not a big deal and I get it from a liability standpoint. If you were over 16, you had to have your ID or school ID to get in. I get that too. You also had to have either your vax car or a negative covid test. I get that as well. Where it became a shit show is the staff had morons in it who were asking for birth certificates from some of the kids. There was nothing I could find on the ticket that said anything about that. So I, the parent of my child, holding both my ID and both our Covid vaccine cards had to argue with some moron about why it didn't matter that I didn't have my kid's birth certificate on hand. So am I just abducting someone else's kid to take to a concert? I asked the person if they would like to see the 14 years of photos I have of this kid on my phone from various points of her life? I finally moved out of line to talk to the box office who said "no that person is wrong, give them my name at the door and you'll go right in". After that, things were fine. Kid had a great time and got some fun merch. I got a huge at the end and a "thanks for bringing me" which was a victory I'll take nowadays. 

I’m taking my 15 YO to Mitski tonight. I know zero songs. I don’t even know the genre.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m taking my 15 YO to Mitski tonight. I know zero songs. I don’t even know the genre.

Indie rock. Previously, her songs were fairly maudlin and a little too slow and depressing. Her new album is a lot different. I wasn't bored. The crowd was really into it. The opener is a crazy J-pop girl band that's over the top.  Check out her new album, Laurel Hell. Working For The Knife and Only Heartbreaker are pretty good. They play those on the local NPR music station here. You'll get a good amount of songs. She went for about an hour and a half last night. 

I enjoyed it. There wasn’t a song that I hated so that was great. I couldn’t tell you the name of one song. All her songs are really short. Maybe 20 songs in 1:15 and a one song encore. I appreciated that she only went off stage for 30 seconds before the encore.

Her fans FUCKING LOVE her. The constant screaming was a bit intense.

Only caught the last two songs of the opener since the merch table line took an hour. They were good. They said they’d be at SXSW.

13 hours ago, Underdog said:

Busy crew, Metallica last night and Billy tonight. 

Indeed. 

Show was killer, by the way. 80k people or whatever banging out to ride the lightning was nuts. Well, 79,999 people. Their biggest fan “becky” behind us announced to her boyfriend, and anyone within earshot, when the encore was about to start that finally they were going to play their good stuff like whiskey in a jar.

After a setlist that was heavy heavy with pre-black stuff, and newer stuff that could have fit well on the album after justice. It was funny, yet sad after a set like that. 

Anyway, that was definitely well worth the travel. Stadium was really nice, staff were friendly. Other than being the home of the raiders, it was a great experience. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:42 PM, CooterBrown said:

I enjoyed it. There wasn’t a song that I hated so that was great. I couldn’t tell you the name of one song. All her songs are really short. Maybe 20 songs in 1:15 and a one song encore. I appreciated that she only went off stage for 30 seconds before the encore.

Her fans FUCKING LOVE her. The constant screaming was a bit intense.

Only caught the last two songs of the opener since the merch table line took an hour. They were good. They said they’d be at SXSW.

Good stuff. It was refreshing to go to a show in Dallas that wasn't just the douche set going there to talk throughout a show they paid money to attend.

I saw a shitty update that the opener, Chai, got their trailer stolen after the show. Their equipment wasn't in it but all their merch, wardrobes, and personal items were taken. 

Lots of good shows coming up in Houston. Will try to go to most of these if I can.

4/5 - Bon Iver

4/10 - Delta Spirit

4/23 - John Mayer 

4/26 - Nathaniel Rateliff

4/27 - My Morning Jacket

5/3 - The Avett Brothers

5/4 - Josh Rouse

5/8 - Coldplay

5/10 - Orville Peck

5/13 - Dave Matthews Band

5/22 - Bright Eyes

7/2 - Fleet Foxes

8/3 - Leon Bridges

8/4 - The Head and The Heart / Dawes

9/8 - The Killers

3 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Did they play with Portugal. The Man? How were they? I’m going to the show in Houston tonight. Only really excited for PTM. 

Yes they did. I enjoyed Portugal the Man.   Ton more energy.  Alt-J just basically stood in one place the entire time