Concerts you are attending

bamachine

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

How was Wet Leg? Think I'm going to see them in August in Dallas.

I thought they were pretty great.  They were having a good time on stage - very playful and appreciative of their meteoric rise.  When the current tour started they were scheduled to play in an art space.  As their buzz grew they had to move to one of Portland's better venues to accommodate the demand.

They sounded great and as an added bonus the crowd was full of alluring young women. You should go. 

On 3/22/2022 at 11:07 AM, nolongerU2horn said:

Krokus opened for Sammy at Reunion in 1984.

So basically Judas Priest

Yes. This. Thanks….my tired old ass head got my concerts mixed up…

On 3/22/2022 at 11:09 AM, nolongerU2horn said:

And actual Judas Priest headlined at Reunion in 1984 and 1986

I KNEW I had seen them. 

BTW, why are you “no longer U2 horn”? 

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Willie's Picnic gonna be at Q2 stadium this year.  I'm curious what happens to the grass.  

image.png.d1a45ad6bac52cac7ac3d37a6eb440c0.png

I’ve been to shows at Wrigley and Fenway during baseball season and they make it work so I’m sure they’ll figure it out. 

Robert Plant w/ Allison Kraus playing outdoor Moody this September.  Gonna be hotter than two rats in a sock...but should be awesome and I can afford two lawn seats in the back as opposed to him playing Moody Arena for 3x

hullabelew, my girlfriend, and I went and saw James McMurtry on Saturday at a listening room in Duluth, GA.  Strong to quite strong acoustic show.  You folks in ATX are blessed with his regular shows at the Continental Club.

What’s a listing room?

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

Robert Plant w/ Allison Kraus playing outdoor Moody this September.  Gonna be hotter than two rats in a sock...but should be awesome and I can afford two lawn seats in the back as opposed to him playing Moody Arena for 3x

Got a show at Moody (arena) in September. 

Band wants it warm in the venue too, for vocal health something something. 

It’ll be a roaster on the rail, but worth every second. 

Not totally sure I understand your post.  I have had zero coffee this morning.  The show is not at Moody Arena.  It's at the Moody Amphitheater outside at Waterloo Park.  You are correct though, the vocal harmonizing between Kraus and Plant is key, so I'm sure the warmer the better (particularly for Plant at age 73).  I'll see you on the rail, I guess?  

But yeah, to cut expenses...we've been skipping a lot of shows here with Covid-19 almost gone...but we're not skipping this one.  

On 4/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, 4th&Five said:

image.png.d1a45ad6bac52cac7ac3d37a6eb440c0.png

I’ve been to shows at Wrigley and Fenway during baseball season and they make it work so I’m sure they’ll figure it out. 

I just bought four seats on the east side, floor level.  I've never done a Willie 4th of July show.  Kind of figure it's a thing you oughta do at least once.  Never had an interest in standing out in an open field for 12 hours in the July sun, baking to death.  But if I can sit on the shady side of an actual stadium, have an actual seat, and be able to hit the concourse for cold refreshments and such, I mean.....it's Willie, Jason Isbell, Steve Earle, and Asleep at the Wheel.  I kinda feel obligated to attend.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Not totally sure I understand your post.  I have had zero coffee this morning.  The show is not at Moody Arena.  It's at the Moody Amphitheater outside at Waterloo Park.  You are correct though, the vocal harmonizing between Kraus and Plant is key, so I'm sure the warmer the better (particularly for Plant at age 73).  I'll see you on the rail, I guess?  

But yeah, to cut expenses...we've been skipping a lot of shows here with Covid-19 almost gone...but we're not skipping this one.  

I was referring to a show I’m attending. 

Hot outside, hot af inside. etc, so on, so forth. 

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I just bought four seats on the east side, floor level.  I've never done a Willie 4th of July show.  Kind of figure it's a thing you oughta do at least once.  Never had an interest in standing out in an open field for 12 hours in the July sun, baking to death.  But if I can sit on the shady side of an actual stadium, have an actual seat, and be able to hit the concourse for cold refreshments and such, I mean.....it's Willie, Jason Isbell, Steve Earle, and Asleep at the Wheel.  I kinda feel obligated to attend.

Yeah I was looking at tickets a few minutes ago, trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Wouldnt the west side be the shadier side?

53 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yeah I was looking at tickets a few minutes ago, trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Wouldnt the west side be the shadier side?

Yeah, it is...and I mistyped that.  We got our tickets on the west side (which is where our Austin FC seats are as well).  Brain fart.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:07 AM, nolongerU2horn said:

Krokus opened for Sammy at Reunion in 1984.

So basically Judas Priest

Krokus opening for Sammy Hagar in 84 was the first concert I ever saw. nobody was old enough to drive and for some reason one of my friend's dad  actually went into the show. This dude was not a fan of rock music, more of the nerdy church type. I had never seen a joint before, and they were getting passed along our row, so i just passed it to my buddy who passed it to his dad, who passed it to the guy next to him. I give him credit for rolling with the scene. none of us hit the joint....little kid fail. If I recall "midnight maniac" was the Krokus hit at the time, and Sammy was riding high with "I Cant Drive 55"

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:01 PM, tbone_ said:

Krokus refresher…

Midnight maniac was def their popular song on that tour

https://youtu.be/vPK-yRqHR48

This was also popular

However, these are their best two tunes

Ok back to your regularly scheduled thread…

Tonight long stick goes boom! Saw them in Dallas in the 80s a couple of times, opening for Def Leppard and Hagar, I think. I'll go with "Eat the Rich" as their best tune.

Didn’t we used to have a concert review thread?

Saw Wilco play Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on Friday. I love that album, but by Wilco standards the show was pretty meh. Played every song note for note straight through, followed by three mellow songs in tribute to Jay Bennett. The crowd is also becoming a caricature of the stereotype. Just 45-50 year old chubby white dudes cheersing, whooping and filming with their thumb partially covering the camera the entire time.

Then saw Big Thief at King’s Theater last night. They are fucking incredible live, and the crowd was great. I wish I had gone both nights.

• Like 1

Nostalgia night, next Sunday at Empire Control Garage -- Everclear.

I like the band, my wife loves the band.  I've seen them, she hasn't.  She won.

I haven't been to a show in over 2 years, other than a few of my daughter's with her baby band in the last month or so.  Hope to ramp up the frequency and interest soon.

Any Surly metalheads attending Hell’s Heroes in Houston next weekend?02AC8D2D-F296-4690-9B8C-B84C0193E9E0.thumb.jpeg.2251f441e2f809ac3eff27f5fdcc9e72.jpeg

I have friends in 2 bands on this bill.

My friend Mike fronts Slough Feg, or more accurately "The Lord Weird Slough Feg", from San Francisco. I saw them Thursday night as they broke in another friend, Austin, as his 1st gig as their new drummer in preparation for the Houston Festival show. Mike is an over the top maniac on stage. Incredible guitar player who definitely doesn't take it too seriously to say the least. Austin killed it on drums, they will be fun.

I'm a huge War Cloud fan. They relocated from Oakland to Austin at the start of the pandemic. My friend Alex fronts that band, he just got married yesterday, I stayed with them when I was in Austin last month. The band is reminiscent of early 80's Thrash, landing somewhere between Metallica and Iron Maiden with twin lead guitars. Alex very gentle, nice young carpenter who somehow transformers into a total madman on stage. I've never seen a bad War Cloud show.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I have friends in 2 bands on this bill.

My friend Mike fronts Slough Feg, or more accurately "The Lord Weird Slough Feg", from San Francisco. I saw them Thursday night as they broke in another friend, Austin, as his 1st gig as their new drummer in preparation for the Houston Festival show. Mike is an over the top maniac on stage. Incredible guitar player who definitely doesn't take it too seriously to say the least. Austin killed it on drums, they will be fun.

I'm a huge War Cloud fan. They relocated from Oakland to Austin at the start of the pandemic. My friend Alex fronts that band, he just got married yesterday, I stayed with them when I was in Austin last month. The band is reminiscent of early 80's Thrash, landing somewhere between Metallica and Iron Maiden with twin lead guitars. Alex very gentle, nice young carpenter who somehow transformers into a total madman on stage. I've never seen a bad War Cloud show.

War Cloud sounds great to me, and they are the ones kicking off the festival at 3pm Friday.  I will definitely plan on catching their set.

Can't go wrong with Slough Feg...looking forward to their particular brand of Metal quirkiness.

Cheers!

• Like 1

My goddam fucking back surgery got moved up a week. gotta miss Jack White May 25 and Old Crow Medicine Show May 31 in Austin.  Take my tickets, please. Details in For Sale.  I did score a ticket to JW in Iriving a couple of days before at least.  Been waiting to see him a long time.  

1 hour ago, stc said:

saw that bjm got all their gear stolen last night. have always wanted to like them but i found the lead singer to be intolerable the one time i saw them live. 

Having been around Courtney Taylor-Taylor I'll happily put up with any bullshit that Anton Newcombe might come up with.  That guy (CTT) is a prick - and so are his sycophants.

I’ve posted this before and will post again (damn jamo). I’m taking my parents to the Willie Nelson/George Strait concert on April 30. My mom is 84 and her dream is to see George Strait live. Said it before (unsure); however, my parents saw Willie at the Armadillo in the 70s and according to them Willie told my Dad he was a lucky Yankee to be with such a fine Texan woman. Regardless, taking my mom and dad to this show will be one of the best experiences of my life. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I don’t want all you fucktards messing up our Brazos Nights shows in Waco, but we’ve got a nice list this year.   (These are once a month April to July free shows)

tomorrow is Jimmie Vaughan and June 24 is REK.     That’s salty for a free show list in Wacktown.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Daughter just saw Kaleo tonight at a small venue in Montreal, says it was amazing. I’d like to see that show.

I’ve seen them at Hotel San Jose when they had just moved to Austin and then last month at Moody Theater.  It was a fantastic show. Go see them whenever you can.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1