Concerts you are attending

bamachine

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

So, here's what I found out about a live Dave Matthews show... I enjoyed the songs I didn't know probably more than the ones I know... in the sense that they played songs that were unfamiliar to me and they just got up there and jammed... and they were extremely talented.  So, will I listen to DMB on my own at home, working out, etc.?  No.  Did I enjoy the concert - yeah, absolutely!

I've seen a lot of bands in my time and DMB is pretty good live.  Enjoys the hell out of playing and will play 2+ hour sets at times, not that I want that much but just shows they absolutely love it. Will miss seeing Boyd and LeRoi but they fucked up, Boyd more so.  They're a band you can sit on the grass and just listen to live--don't need to be at the front or anywhere near it. And if you're indoors, sit at the top.  

Just now, Mdhorn said:

I've seen a lot of bands in my time and DMB is pretty good live.  Enjoys the hell out of playing and will play 2+ hour sets at times, not that I want that much but just shows they absolutely love it. Will miss seeing Boyd and LeRoi but they fucked up, Boyd more so.  They're a band you can sit on the grass and just listen to live--don't need to be at the front or anywhere near it. And if you're indoors, sit at the top.  

Yeah, they played a solid 2 1/2 hours.  It went quickly.  

I have a fairly high level of disdain for Dave Matthews Band, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone being their fan.

It just now occurred to me that I've seen them live -- they opened for The Rolling Stones & Smashing Pumpkins at Texas Motor Speedway in 1997.  A band of that stature has to be pretty bland to get erased from my memory banks.

I went to the DMB show last night, mostly because its the only music that all of my friends can all singularly agree on (which probably means it IS bland as fuck lol) and we've been going to see em together for 25 years, but i was also excited to see the new arena. It fucks. Also, the show was fun and I heard a couple songs I hadn't heard em play live before; plus being able to see any tour on stop #1 is pretty cool since the band is all fresh and ready to do their thing. It was jam packed to the rafters too. DMB. In the year 2022.

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I never understood the DMB disdain.

I don’t love them but they’ve always seemed legit to me.

They play well, but I hate his voice, his songs, and their general sound.  It's cool, though.  It's not like they aren't great players, they are.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

I went to the DMB show last night, mostly because its the only music that all of my friends can all singularly agree on (which probably means it IS bland as fuck lol) and we've been going to see em together for 25 years, but i was also excited to see the new arena. It fucks. Also, the show was fun and I heard a couple songs I hadn't heard em play live before; plus being able to see any tour on stop #1 is pretty cool since the band is all fresh and ready to do their thing. It was jam packed to the rafters too. DMB. In the year 2022.

Yeah, we were noticing that, too... looking up at the top rows and the place was packed.   Props for all the food/drink options and the self-service check out areas.  Drink prices are absurd but that's expected, I guess. 

Not being a big DMB fan, I heard a lot of songs that were new to me and apparently he played one that is unreleased and one that he had not played live in something like 10 years.  They seemed "all in"

Then again, so did this guy...

Boks3kGDkhthxBbQrmA9jUwBV8IO2Osl291M68-KlzRgai5R13Yj2aMRF8f2pkWb91D7LoBKzmRibLdB6KOQwqWr6FsdS4aagl1Mm3jHQYFGBjKmlhSdVuRIhozu5-GKyl7xy_FsGMB8hfxQq_lW0JaYuqBZoVAWHzGmLT-KuplklSIzYZzIriYi27fRa518IvUTf-sggLxEZrn_uDaA9G7er9uoh6rOofuFEqXM4yXwxcarqoQ2HFyanMBHCAF1uGLslzr29z9NTW6KvOzNUKcD0Xno4mLrs-5dXJeI21uKuQz2r-yC09uCGzH42LBwO8y0yasInOkamTz8trEBCYNPW5WJC9ZzmRbclFyn6TJ00XXB1x_rMnET4jyPtzPFUbPqOhepojK1fsFQ7_eZF9heKc6ZaP9G8iwLzdjZRS9UxBBZEBvxxBDgf4Gd0VOTy67vw5L2yn_RsirhhHWiitz92bSgNDmYCFs36eyE7meMCzJtUSLmLPV0ahEF73_SzzBE0kAoZU86aFpBhFaD3CehqkA9Zkyb3OWs3XN6Gc3PEEM-Y9NIsQnx4gKsJieP_iwUrmaVL9rbPQFbRzk4MHkdkNcfNyAlkaep3MZvLFUXrrHFgw3FXuMHaRqxw7iHJBWeJtiaYF3z2hsxD2x3vy5pBXs6JJk44wE2VczvA_bOIYuZwK-UneviV6KtbyYhxLyuNu0_w8Uf0tbl09KgNjDymqPl68FUELLmS8dFFzTqw8kRbfGfLfiY43s25Ek=w509-h903-no?authuser=0

Edited by texasdago
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

They play well, but I hate his voice, his songs, and their general sound.  It's cool, though.  It's not like they aren't great players, they are.

It takes a minute--absolutely loathed them for awhile for all the same reasons but couldn't escape them when I lived in Richmond, VA in 1994--right when they were blowing up.  DM has their own sound though.  Couldn't stand Morphine either the first couple of times I heard them, but then couldn't get enough.    Saw Dave touring Under the Table and Dreaming.  Their catalogue now is huge and I lost track of all their albums and don't really need to hear them.  But I really enjoy their first few albums.  

On 5/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, Mdhorn said:

Smashing Pumpkins and Janes Addiction tickets go on sale today.  Sounds like a great match.

Im in on this.  love the Pumpkins and Janes Addiction is big bonus.  have to be honest though, it is going to be almost impossible to top the setlist from their comeback concert tour at the Erwin center in 2018.  It was fucking unreal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to ray lamontagne tonight at the new moody amphitheater—he was great.

One of my favorite songs is we’ll make it through, and he shared tonight that his wife of 25 years has a rare form of muscular dystrophy that will cause her to not be able to open her eyes or swallow. So he wrote that song to comfort both of them.

Amphitheater seats are miserably close together. I sat next to a gym bro whose bicep was completely on top of my arm/chest the whole time. Nice breeze though. How many times do you need to get up and squeeze past me in a less than two hour concert?? /Getoffmylawn

On 5/13/2022 at 11:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Eagles at the Toyota Center. It'll be great 

Vince Gill on take it to the limit was a bit of a religious experience. That was an awesome show, just wish they had saved Hotel Cali for a different spot. Otherwise, damn that was fun. 

15 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Vince Gill on take it to the limit was a bit of a religious experience. That was an awesome show, just wish they had saved Hotel Cali for a different spot. Otherwise, damn that was fun. 

it was cougar heaven, and yes a great show. i really would  like to catch a vince gill concert

7 hours ago, harpercollins said:

How many times do you need to get up and squeeze past me in a less than two hour concert?? /Getoffmylawn

Main reason why I don’t do live events that much anymore, that and those chatterboxes I have to shush so I can enjoy the show. 

Im in on this.  love the Pumpkins and Janes Addiction is big bonus.  have to be honest though, it is going to be almost impossible to top the setlist from their comeback concert tour at the Erwin center in 2018.  It was fucking unreal.  

I saw that tour and you are spot on. Just an amazing set.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Went to ray lamontagne tonight at the new moody amphitheater—he was great.

One of my favorite songs is we’ll make it through, and he shared tonight that his wife of 25 years has a rare form of muscular dystrophy that will cause her to not be able to open her eyes or swallow. So he wrote that song to comfort both of them.

Amphitheater seats are miserably close together. I sat next to a gym bro whose bicep was completely on top of my arm/chest the whole time. Nice breeze though. How many times do you need to get up and squeeze past me in a less than two hour concert?? /Getoffmylawn

that’s called a ‘bad’ venue

i agree, on people getting up and down. Forgot where I was at, but I stopped getting up. Told a group of Bros I’d had enough, fuck off. 

just go to a bar if you want to drink for 3 hours

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:58 PM, C-Man said:

Was down in SA for one of my closest cousin's husband's celebration of life. We were staying down on the Riverwalk on Friday but planned to go stay with my folks on Saturday in Shavano Park but my old man was exposed to COVID at a RBFCU board meeting on Thursday and, yep, he tested positive on Saturday morning. So we stayed downtown on Saturday too. On the way to grab lunch at PInkerton's, we passed The Aztec Theater. I said I think my brother saw Band of Horses there a few months back after we caught BOH in Dallas. She looked it up on during lunch and Kurt Vile was playing that night. We bought $25 GA tickets and took in a nowhere-near-packed show. The sound wasn't all that great but we had a good time and made it back to hotel to watch the last 10 mins of the Stars' win over Calgary in Game 3.

The key to Aztec Theater is to stand on the platforms with the railings up by the sound guy. Usually the sound is really good there. My first several shows I stood down there in the floor and always hated the sound. Since standing up there it became my favorite place to see a show.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:57 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It just now occurred to me that I've seen them live -- they opened for The Rolling Stones & Smashing Pumpkins at Texas Motor Speedway in 1997.  A band of that stature has to be pretty bland to get erased from my memory banks.

Was there.  It was actually Matchbox 20 opening for DMB opening for Pumpkins opening for Stones. 

IMO, Pumpkins were ridiculously bad and I love them.  Can listen here https://archive.org/details/tsp1997-11-01.flac16/tsp1997-11-01t01.flac

As I remember Dave saying, "we're all just breakfast for Stones tonight."

As far as 9 song DMB setlists go, it was a solid one.  Two Step, Tripping Billies, #41, All along the Watchtower, Crash into Me, So Much to Say, Anyone See the Bridge, Too Much, Ants Marching.

Next month, Tesla in an intimate venue. Love seeing them in this setting. Pre-show m&g with sound check access. Should be a good time. Tend to stay at the same hotel they do (and I don’t let it out), which is cool.  Bumped elbows a few times and shared some peace offerings. Nothing serious, but low key.

July brings two stops for the Def Leppard/Crue run (finally, maybe, after 2 years).

August is a slip way up into yankee land to see Metallica again.

September and October brings a solid run of Maiden shows. 

Not the summer I expected, but not complaining. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

And Joan Jet. We bought ours two years ago right before COVID. I don’t remember what we paid. Got them for face value.

Same here. 

Joan can go either way. Poison does their job well. It’s a shame they can’t get their shit together, but at this point take the party and fun I guess. 

DL/Crue are both doing full sets, swapping the closing spot.

• Like 1