Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Saw McCartney last night at MetLife. Last stop on his current tour. Anyone that’s seen him live knows that it’s an all-time great show. I took my daughter so she could experience it — good first concert for her. He of course played a great show with a 3-hour mix of hits and deeper tracks, with everyone singing along to most songs. Watching him play Blackbird on an otherwise empty stage is just out of this world. 

After a while, Bruce Springsteen joins him on stage and they play Glory Days and I Wanna Be Your Man, and the crowd goes nuts. Later Bon Jovi came out to sing him happy birthday. The show closed with The End and Macca and band jamming with Bruce. It was a badass show. 

CF1DE6CB-3B03-4F27-A17A-B94466830DB5.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Saw helmet during sxsw on 6th street in an empty lot in the early 00's. Don't remember exactly where it was but I remember people climbing up a chain link fence and jumping off into the pit. 

I haven’t seen them since the 90s. Perhaps that 1997 show we were talking about. I honestly haven’t listened to any of their new stuff. Clutch has put out some good stuff recently. Quicksand’s latest two are ok, but nowhere near those two first albums…especially their debut.

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ldogg and I were there. Helmet and the Melvins. If I recall correctly. The first time I saw them was in 1994 when they played with The Rollins Band at the International Ballroom in Houston.

I saw them 93-94-ish (after "Meantime") at a small club on 6th St, maybe Jelly Club?

Loud as hell, tight as a duck's ass in water.  Awesome band, and that's not really my genre of choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw them 93-94-ish (after "Meantime") at a small club on 6th St, maybe Jelly Club?

Loud as hell, tight as a duck's ass in water.  Awesome band, and that's not really my genre of choice.

Helmet was infamous for doing drills during rehearsal, as in multiple timing drills to make sure they cut on and off on a dime. Pretty cool. 

11 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Helmet was infamous for doing drills during rehearsal, as in multiple timing drills to make sure they cut on and off on a dime. Pretty cool. 

Their drummer (John Stanier) is a classically trained percussionist, and did some winter seasons with a Florida DCI corps.  The main dude (Paige Hamilton) studied jazz.  They come by their need for precision naturally.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

ty segall saturday night at mohawk. he started out acoustic and the music from cheer up charlies next door was pretty much drowning him out, so that sucked. sound was much better once he brought the full band out and went electric. there were some solid moments but overall it wasn't the best ty segall show i've seen...probably didn't help that i only knew about 3 songs out of the whole set. 

When I was in Croatia last summer, a girl in the record store turned me on to Serbian band called Repetitor. One of my favorite albums bought in 2022. It appears to be lining up that I can catch them live at a show in Zagreb while I'm there next month.

Ill also have Iron Maiden within a 4 hr drive twice while there if I can get it to work out.

Yves Tumor opened. He was really good. I guess just imagine if David Bowie didn’t get his start until ‘95 and his base influences were new wave, grunge, and industrial.

d058a9f0dbb212680d4492333d89c03b.jpg
24da71eb91d4f13055d7480410bc9f0b.jpg
340c77ceb78dea6ff45a6c2204ef01c2.jpg

We were about 30 feet from the stage when NIN came on. The ENTIRE floor erupted into a pit. After opening with Mr Self Destruct, Wish, and March of the Pigs, it was just a fight for survival at that point and trying to keep my daughter catching a boot to the face. We moved back a bit and only had a few stray moshes run into us.

The set list was the chef’s kiss. I’ve seen NIN a dozen times and this may be number one.

641edff879aec7d1fee47eebc5fe7d9d.jpg
537d793967b006562255133136ce0243.jpg
f2f714457d30de875ee56303a8c73819.jpg
500ec23c6cc742177efb46f72572fdc6.jpg
1619cdad09d4d8686b0e54c1cf852922.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Within the last year -

Foo Fighters at zoo amphitheater in OKC

Wallflowers at billy bob’s in ft worth

Airborne Toxic Event at HOB in dallas

John Moreland at the kessler theater in dallas

10,000 Maniacs also at the kessler theater

Offspring at south side ballroom in dallas

Stick Figure at the bomb factory in dallas

Black Joe Lewis at dan’s silverleaf in denton

upcoming

Pearl Jam in OKC

Flaming Lips at south side ballroom

Band of horses & black keys at starplex in dallas

Rage against the machine in el paso

I bought the pearl jam and RATM tix in 2020. Both shows have been pushed back again and again.

Saw Andrea Bocelli on Wednesday at the new Moody Center in Austin.  Wasn't able to make it down to the mosh pit, but it was a pretty good show otherwise.  He sang the several songs I recognized including one from Loony Tunes and one from the Bad News Bears.  You have to be pretty refined to appreciate this type of concert.

I don't to much to concerts anymore (being an olds and having seen most of the people I've wanted to see in their prime, plus no one's worth $100/ticket unless they do healings onstage between sets).

Any-hoo, wifey bought me b-day tix in March to see Don McLean.  It was kind of a "gee whiz, 50 years since American Pie" kind of whim - I'm not a McLean fan per  se though I've casually liked his songs.  Anyway he was at the Paramount Sunday night, and I've gotta say that although he's getting up there and his voice is nowhere near it was (he's 76), he put on a pretty good, basic show.  Sound wasn't too hot but the musicians were great and the guy can flat our sing/perform.  I've come to realize how amazingly terrific his voice was in his prime - some big rock guy, maybe it was Dylan, called him "one of the best pure voices in rock" and I can see it.  How effortlessly he cruses through all quick slides, jumps and wide ranges in his prime.  All in all a pretty damn good show and the guy can flat out play and sing.

And I gotta say, I was much, much more thrilled than I expected to see this guy, who might have 6-7 good years left, the source of one of the best singles of all time, belt it out in person.  Very neat.

Singing Vincent:

image.png.ea7c4c6fc75944def36e0a5cea18a30f.png

And, the final song before the encore (which was 2 songs), "American Pie" of course  - the place exploded...

image.png.1f6c58ce3395ca94d56288603734c3c5.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Tool- AT&T Center

Bonnaroo- Manchester, TN 

Kraftwerk- Red Rocks 

Bob Dylan- Dillion Amphitheater 

Blues Traveler- Red Rocks

Dave Mathews Band- Moody Center, Fiddlers Green Amphitheater 2x's

Flume- Red Rocks 

Roger Waters- Ball Arena, Moody Center 

Gryffin- Red Rocks 

Tonight I got to see a band I love called Repetitor, from Belgrade, play at a venue in Zagreb. It was a lucky coincidence that they were playing in Croatia while I'm here, and we still had to drive 2 hrs each way to catch them. They were incredible and a highlight of the trip.

20220708_224544.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just got back from a trip to SD/LA for a friend’s wedding. Caught CAAMP at The Greek Theater in Griffith Park. That is a seriously cool music venue. Had dinner at the restaurant at the bottom of the hill that used to be The Brown Derby from Swingers fame. It was an awesome night all the way around.

4c04c494e2f0298fe467322a12c6fd48.jpg

63a2dcb2f7ddeb37cc2b2fa13cbadab9.jpg

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

PJ in Budapest tonight. 
BAF5B7B7-723F-409D-A480-E3A07A949C7E.thumb.jpeg.2fa71d22987dbadea901765ea6999013.jpeg

Well that's fucking awesome.

Alice in Chains coming to COTA Sept 15th.  Bush is one of the openers.  Didn't even know they were still a thing.  I may go.  AIC still puts on a good show.  Sad I never got to see them with Layne though.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, tbone_ said:

The dude that sings for Alice In Chains can cut it. Sucks that Stayley’s not around but they’re still worth seeing.

Yep, he's a capable replacement for sure.  He's been with Jerry since Jerry's first solo tour when Layne was still alive.  I've seen this iteration twice.  Got tix yesterday.