Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Saw spoon last night in zilker. First time attending party for the parks. There were maybe 500 people there and a lot of them didn't seem interested in the music. Easily walked right up to the rail about 5 mins before they started. Was pretty cool being in the empty festival grounds. Spoon was great, good mix of stuff from all their albums...been too long since I had seen them.

56615900d7091b6a7f64d6edb8910830.jpgaedb8a7335194c04745e726583f3a1b9.jpg

Went to Spoon at Tim Love's new live music venue, Tannahill's in FW, last night. Love Spoon but was a little disappointed in the fact they didn't come on stage until 9:40 or so and were done around 10:40. They came back and did four songs during the encore and were finished a few mins before midnight.

Tannahill's a neat little venue in Mule Alley in the Stockyards but it's going to need some tweaking. The sound on Bret's mike was fuzzy sounding all night. Maybe that's what Spoon was going for, maybe that's on Spoon's sound guys. However, it could be a new venue that needs to adjust the in-house sound system.

Also, the routing of this venue is just terrible. The show was packed. We walked in from stage left and made our way around the sound board to the back stage right area. All good. At some point that I'm not really sure where, that area we walked through earlier was roped off and was a private, VIP lounge so you could no longer walk through it. The restrooms were on that side. To get to the restrooms you had to fight your way to the stage to get in front of the soundboard and then work through the crowd to get to the bathrooms, then make your way back through to get back to where we were standing. There were fucking "Exit" doors behind us on our side that led to the lobby/lounge that the staff wouldn't let you use. You could not get back in that way no matter what so you were going to fight through the crowd to get back but it was insane you couldn't at least exit if you wanted. They were turning people away who wanted to leave the GD venue when Spoon finished the opening set before they came back for the encore.

Anyway, avoid the Stockyards the Saturday night after at TCU game, especially when the Frogs win in double OT to get into the Top 10. It was a goddamn circus down there. Maybe it's always that way on the weekends.

Billy Strings was really good Thursday night. They played for 3.5 hours with about a 10 minute break between sets. They kept going until Stubbs said no more.

Dwight Yoakam played the hits on Saturday and it was a solid overall show.

Nothing else on the schedule right now... might check out William Beckmann at Cheatham in San Marcos Nov 10 or Charley Crockett at Floore's Nov 12, or both, if I'm not in Boston.

• Hook 'Em 1

gwar last night at empire garage. if you can't have a fun at a gwar concert there is something wrong with you. they eviscerated putin, performed an abortion on stage, spewed blood from a duck billed platypus, and killed biden and trump...all while fighting off their gwar counterparts from another dimension. the amount of blood and jizz was impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Masshole Horn said:

Billy Strings was really good Thursday night. They played for 3.5 hours with about a 10 minute break between sets. They kept going until Stubbs said no more.

Dwight Yoakam played the hits on Saturday and it was a solid overall show.

Nothing else on the schedule right now... might check out William Beckmann at Cheatham in San Marcos Nov 10 or Charley Crockett at Floore's Nov 12, or both, if I'm not in Boston.

Assuming no Boston, porque no Los dos?!

Last night's Spoon taping at Austin City Limits was great.  They put a fairly heavy focus on more recent tunes, which is understandable, but we did get "My Mathematical Mind".  The highlight, which surprised the hell out of me because it might be my least favorite Spoon tune was "The Underdog".  It absolutely rocked.  Other favorites were "Inside/Out", "The Hardest Cut", and a cover of John Lennon's "Isolation".

Keyboard/guitar dude Alex Fischel is a nutjob.  I don't think I've seen the band since he joined -- maybe he was on stage at the ACL Festival show I saw a few years back -- but his goofy demeanor is definitely not something I would have thought Britt Daniel would put up with.  Honestly, it feels like Britt has found his perfect musical foil.  Strange bedfellows.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Keyboard/guitar dude Alex Fischel is a nutjob.  I don't think I've seen the band since he joined -- maybe he was on stage at the ACL Festival show I saw a few years back -- but his goofy demeanor is definitely not something I would have thought Britt Daniel would put up with.  Honestly, it feels like Britt has found his perfect musical foil.  Strange bedfellows.

i legitimately know people who will no longer see spoon live because they find him so annoying. i'm not that extreme but he's a little much.

Headed to Parker McCollum at the Moody here in a bit. Excited to see the new arena finally. Not even much of a country guy, but I'm expecting there to be tons of talent there. And Parker's alright, I can stand his songs at least. Hearing his stories of being a Texas kid that headed to Austin to become an artist made me more of a fan. 

Went to Jesus and Mary Chain at the Granada in Dallas last night. 

They played a healthy dose of my favorite album of theirs, Darklands.

Lead singer has lost a bit of punch on his vocals. Band formed 40 years ago so it’s not surprising.

I would’ve liked the sound engineer to make the lead guitar sound more pronounced. The surf punk guitar sound on Head On wasn’t quite there for me.

That drummer was great. The drum forward sound was really good.

I hadn’t seen JaMC live before but based on videos from the 90’s I suspected a wallflower stage presence. They delivered on that. Not really any charisma to speak of.

I enjoyed the show and recommend seeing them if they pass through. 

AF69A7D8-A10F-417C-9496-7CE478EF8E41.png

0D11A5D9-3971-4FBE-9F76-9AA88CA26C02.png

ECC8CFAE-F3FB-4A48-B716-42FB466FB220.png

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, bluto said:

Assuming no Boston, porque no Los dos?!

On 10/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, Masshole Horn said:

I just saw Charley Crockett goes on at 10 pm at Floore's. So that's a no regardless of my location. I'll catch him at ACL Live in December.

Ok, well, gf is gonna be in town and we'll spend the night in San Antonio. So, I just bought tickets to both William Beckmann (11/10) and Charley Crockett (11/12). She's a New England girl, but has embraced my Texas music roots. She doesn't really like The Scabs though... I guess there was a time and a place for them.

17 hours ago, GenXer said:

Went to Jesus and Mary Chain at the Granada in Dallas last night. 

They played a healthy dose of my favorite album of theirs, Darklands.

Lead singer has lost a bit of punch on his vocals. Band formed 40 years ago so it’s not surprising.

I would’ve liked the sound engineer to make the lead guitar sound more pronounced. The surf punk guitar sound on Head On wasn’t quite there for me.

That drummer was great. The drum forward sound was really good.

I hadn’t seen JaMC live before but based on videos from the 90’s I suspected a wallflower stage presence. They delivered on that. Not really any charisma to speak of.

I enjoyed the show and recommend seeing them if they pass through. 

AF69A7D8-A10F-417C-9496-7CE478EF8E41.png

0D11A5D9-3971-4FBE-9F76-9AA88CA26C02.png

ECC8CFAE-F3FB-4A48-B716-42FB466FB220.png

Seeing them tonight at Stubbs

The wife wanted to see Reba McIntyre, so... we're going this Friday (Terri Clark opening).

My question is what's the lowdown on parking / transportation @ the Moody?  Wife works within a mile of there; I'm thinking of parking @ her office & catching a Lyft down Red River & same for the return.

Halp a feller out.

Thought I had a nice little month or so until I see how hardcore some on here are.

Three Days Grace at 713.

Echo and the Bunnymen at HOB.

First weekend of the month hit The Cult at 713 on Friday, Shinedown at TW on Saturday, and Cody Jinks with Clint Black at Red Rocks on Sunday.  Still recovering.

Caught Dwight Yoakam at Whitewater week before last.

My fave was Radney Foster at Gruene this past weekend for the 30th anniversary of Del Rio, Texas 1959.

• Hook 'Em 2

The wife wanted to see Reba McIntyre, so... we're going this Friday (Terri Clark opening).

My question is what's the lowdown on parking / transportation @ the Moody?  Wife works within a mile of there; I'm thinking of parking @ her office & catching a Lyft down Red River & same for the return.
Halp a feller out.

Depending on her parking garage location, there will be rickshaws all over giving rides for $20.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Depending on her parking garage location, there will be rickshaws all over giving rides for $20.

Up by Saint David's.  Rickshaws for the exit, sure... but I doubt any will be up N for the way into the facility.

Edited by ROFL BOX

52 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

What's your opinion on SS&tS?

First heard them at Crawfish and Cannons in 2021. This was the first year of the event, so organizers were just getting their feet wet. Anyways, Shane Smith and the Saints were the “headliner”. I put quotes, because this was a brand new event and it was small. 

I said to my wife “They were pretty good. They would be a great opening act for a bigger name.”

Fast forward a year. They opened for WCC at Crawfish and Cannons. They were great. I now have them on my music rotation. 

49 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Up by Saint David's.  Rickshaws for the exit, sure... but I doubt any will be up N for the way into the facility.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some up there because of the available parking around there. We parked in the garage down south of Scholz's and there were a half dozen of them down there ready to take customers up to the arena. 

1 hour ago, YoungCounty said:

First heard them at Crawfish and Cannons in 2021. This was the first year of the event, so organizers were just getting their feet wet. Anyways, Shane Smith and the Saints were the “headliner”. I put quotes, because this was a brand new event and it was small. 

I said to my wife “They were pretty good. They would be a great opening act for a bigger name.”

Fast forward a year. They opened for WCC at Crawfish and Cannons. They were great. I now have them on my music rotation. 

They are definitely putting in the road work & have headlined their own show @ Red Rocks (a venue that is on my bucket list for somewhere to see a show).  The wife & I have been following them for prob. 7 years now, maybe 8... they opened for Travis Tritt in San Marcos @ the State Theater & that was our 1st time seeing them.  TT is a good act, hits all the pop country highlights, but for me SS&tS were far above.  Nothing aginst "Sunshine", the lead guitar player, however I def. liked Tim in that slot.
Around 5 or 6 years ago, we were going into DKR / TMMS & right there on San Jacacinto across from the athletic ctr, Shane + Bennett were playing (the 2 of them) with an open guitar case.  Not slowing down for anything.

Catch them live if y'all can - IMO, more "Americana" than "country".  & Shane's not one of those folks that hide behind an acoustic - he's right there in the mix.  If I had the funds available, I'd pay for a video to be shot for the song "Born & Raised" (off their Geronimo CD.

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

They are definitely putting in the road work & have headlined their own show @ Red Rocks (a venue that is on my bucket list for somewhere to see a show).  The wife & I have been following them for prob. 7 years now, maybe 8... they opened for Travis Tritt in San Marcos @ the State Theater & that was our 1st time seeing them.  TT is a good act, hits all the pop country highlights, but for me SS&tS were far above.  Nothing aginst "Sunshine", the lead guitar player, however I def. liked Tim in that slot.
Around 5 or 6 years ago, we were going into DKR / TMMS & right there on San Jacacinto across from the athletic ctr, Shane + Bennett were playing (the 2 of them) with an open guitar case.  Not slowing down for anything.

Catch them live if y'all can - IMO, more "Americana" than "country".  & Shane's not one of those folks that hide behind an acoustic - he's right there in the mix.  If I had the funds available, I'd pay for a video to be shot for the song "Born & Raised" (off their Geronimo CD.

I didn’t realize they had been playing so long. They are definitely headliner worthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of my guilty pleasures is punk covers. In that vein, I saw Me First and the Gimme Gimmes last night at Amplified in Dallas. Really really fun show.

5458B5A9-FB49-4D3D-8C0D-AB350134D7B1.gif.a0be658fd2656e9f14f10401f44c4ec3.gif

Lead singer is very engaging, jokes around a lot, and is just very entertaining. The band members vary; most recognizable person was  CJ Ramone on bass.

As one might expect at a punk cover band show, a spirited debate on economic policy broke out in the pit.

CD38B2E5-1AB8-4108-8AD6-4624F24B3213.gif.7a7b3203f357bde860b4afc0710597a1.gif

The Black Tones were the opening band. They’re damn good. It’s a family outfit. Sister is lead singer and guitarist. Her brothers play bass and drums. They’re from Seattle with roots in Louisiana. Self described as Cobain and cornbread. I’d say there’s a bit of Hendrix and funk mixed in as well.

9106BC8E-8783-4867-9288-4E54D41A157D.gif.8ca0734d941655b489d326de7eafe557.gif

I picked up their album on vinyl at their merch table. They’re all very engaging and friendly. I’m rooting for them.

Edited by GenXer
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some poster turned me onto The White Buffalo in the what are you listening to thread.

White Buffalo is dropping a new album on Nov 11. I downloaded “Not Today”, and I’m digging it. It’s a departure from the country/americana sound of previous albums. I suspect it’ll translate well in live performances.

WB is kicking off the tour in Dallas at Deep Ellum Art Co. on Fri, Nov 11. Count me in.