Concerts you are attending

bamachine

48 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Never been to a concert at the AAC. Saw them twice at Reunion(underrated as a music venue IMHO) and they were outstanding.

Haven’t been to Starplex in ages but from my experience, if you were somewhere between the stage and the soundboard it sounded good. If you were between the soundboard and the lawn the sound got muddy.

We were in 204 which is to the left of the soundboard and it sounded great to me. 

• Like 1

That was a big turnout at the Femmes. More people than I expected.
Ample supply of 50+ year old sloppy drunks. GA was an inadvertent mosh pit at times.

My fourth time to see the Femmes — Freak Magnet tour back in 2005 or 2006 at Deep Ellum Live, then at Wildflower Fest in Plano in 2013 or so, then in Las Colinas with Echo & the Bunnymen and then last night. What a fun show. Wish they played a longer set. They started right at 9 and were off the stage by 10:30/10:35. It took like 39 mins to breeze thru their first album. Such an incredible, iconic album.

At any rate, fun night. I thought Gordon and crew were older. He’s “only” 59. My buddy said he wrote that album when he was 18. Crazy!

(We had a pretty good setup. GA looked like it was no fun.)

68e4a7f52136e24786f1eaa9822cac7b.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I liked that album in my college rock days.  Caught the Femmes on the first Lollapalooza tour (Dallas).  While they weren't a particularly GOOD band (as players) they sure had a sound.  I don't think I ever saw them again, glad to see they're still out on the road.

I liked that album in my college rock days.  Caught the Femmes on the first Lollapalooza tour (Dallas).  While they weren't a particularly GOOD band (as players) they sure had a sound.  I don't think I ever saw them again, glad to see they're still out on the road.

I think Brian Ritchie is pretty talented bassist. Assuming he was using an Ernie Ball Earthwood most of the time. Tone on that thing is sweet.

1 minute ago, TexPx said:

I think Brian Ritchie is pretty talented bassist. Assuming he was using an Ernie Ball Earthwood most of the time. Tone on that thing is sweet.

Yeah, as I recall, it was the drummer who seemed somewhat challenged.  But, that's kinda their sound.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, as I recall, it was the drummer who seemed somewhat challenged.  But, that's kinda their sound.

Well, he doesn't use a real drum kit most of the time (if not all the time). Just the stand-up drum with the "sticks" that are the ones that flay out -- not sure what they're called. Oh, and he had a Weber kettle charcoal grill up there that he played near the end. Gordon can play pretty good guitar. Ritchie is the bassist and I thought he usually used a stand-up but it's been awhile since I'd seen them. He basically had an acoustic guitar with what seemed like very loose strings to get his sound.

They're still a shit-load of fun to see live. I highly recommend it if you like that first album.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, he doesn't use a real drum kit most of the time (if not all the time). Just the stand-up drum with the "sticks" that are the ones that flay out -- not sure what they're called. Oh, and he had a Weber kettle charcoal grill up there that he played near the end. Gordon can play pretty good guitar. Ritchie is the bassist and I thought he usually used a stand-up but it's been awhile since I'd seen them. He basically had an acoustic guitar with what seemed like very loose strings to get his sound.

They're still a shit-load of fun to see live. I highly recommend it if you like that first album.

It was a giant sing-along to that first album.

5 minutes ago, GenXer said:

It was a giant sing-along to that first album.

Yes, it was. Too bad that album is slightly front-loaded. The post self-titled stuff is almost a let-down of sorts. I do love "American Music" though. That's a fun closer.

Two snares and brushes mostly. Also a Weber and a wood box.

Yes, it was. Too bad that album is slightly front-loaded. The post self-titled stuff is almost a let-down of sorts. I do love "American Music" though. That's a fun closer.

I would have liked some more from The Blind Leading the Naked. I think “ I Held Her in My Arms”was the only one.

I caught the Femmes at Liberty Lunch sometime back in 88 or 89. Then I forgot about them for a bit until I was listening to my CDs at home and fell in love with their sound again. Bought tickets to see them at the amphitheater at COTA but it got cancelled due to covid. Were they in Austin? I wish I were there, dammit.

I caught the Femmes at Liberty Lunch sometime back in 88 or 89. Then I forgot about them for a bit until I was listening to my CDs at home and fell in love with their sound again. Bought tickets to see them at the amphitheater at COTA but it got cancelled due to covid. Were they in Austin? I wish I were there, dammit.

Stubbs tonight?

4 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

anyone else going to the hold steady at stubbs in a few weeks?

first dmb show in 20 years tomorrow.

just put it together, the last one i went to was 20 years ago today.  no one cares.  because dave.

On 5/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, texasdago said:

Anyone been to Thundercat?  Thinking of buying for October.

Saw him open for Khruangbin. It was one of the worst live acts I’ve ever seen. 30 minutes of weird high-speed bass jazz shit and every song sounded exactly the same. 

I’m not familiar with him, but I read some fan reviews to the effect that his live stuff is very different from his studio recordings. 

27 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Saw him open for Khruangbin. It was one of the worst live acts I’ve ever seen. 30 minutes of weird high-speed bass jazz shit and every song sounded exactly the same. 

I’m not familiar with him, but I read some fan reviews to the effect that his live stuff is very different from his studio recordings. 

Yeah, I've heard that he spends a lot of time improvising and it is more like a jazz fusion show.  You have to go in with that expectation.  I'm pissed I missed that Khruangbin show, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

The band (OFF!) that is headlining the tour my daughter is on now includes Thundercat & Herbie Hancock drummer Justin Brown.  She says he's a killer drummer.  Kind of a weird combo, OFF! sprung from old school hardcore titans (Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Redd Kross, Rocket from the Crypt) but they're veering into some sort of punk/free jazz hybrid at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The band (OFF!) that is headlining the tour my daughter is on now includes Thundercat & Herbie Hancock drummer Justin Brown.  She says he's a killer drummer.  Kind of a weird combo, OFF! sprung from old school hardcore titans (Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Redd Kross, Rocket from the Crypt) but they're veering into some sort of punk/free jazz hybrid at this point.

In that case, I recommend everyone go to the Thundercat show. But only to support @jimmyjazz’s daughter.

Damn, had no idea Femmes were in town. Would have like to have gone to that.

Seeing Spoon this weekend at Whitewater in New Braunfels. Anyone gone to a show here before? It's less than a week out and I still haven't been emailed tickets... Have the receipt/order confirmation, but no ticket. Bought via TicketWeb.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Seeing Spoon this weekend at Whitewater in New Braunfels. Anyone gone to a show here before? It's less than a week out and I still haven't been emailed tickets... Have the receipt/order confirmation, but no ticket. Bought via TicketWeb.

Femmes sold out fast unfortunately.  I should have gone.  Was going to buy Flock of Seagulls tix for Emo's and then I looked up some of their recent live performances.  Pass.

Edited by texasdago

Got pretty drunk friday night and decided I absolutely MUST go to The National's Homecoming, bought festival tix and a flight lol. Never been to cincinatti. I think i might end up there solo. They're not chucking solo brown guys into the river there too, right? RIGHT!?

Anyone wanna join?

Excited for The Walkmen reunion and Pavement, which was the deal sealer. But also, before COVID canceled the last scheduled Homecoming in 2020 they were supposed to play High Violet in full. Hoping they do a front-to-back set of something classic (hoping for HV obvs). They played Boxer in full for the 2018 homecoming.

image.png

24 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Got pretty drunk friday night and decided I absolutely MUST go to The National's Homecoming, bought festival tix and a flight lol. Never been to cincinatti. I think i might end up there solo. They're not chucking solo brown guys into the river there too, right? RIGHT!?

Anyone wanna join?

Excited for The Walkmen reunion and Pavement, which was the deal sealer. But also, before COVID canceled the last scheduled Homecoming in 2020 they were supposed to play High Violet in full. Hoping they do a front-to-back set of something classic (hoping for HV obvs). They played Boxer in full for the 2018 homecoming.

image.png

Nice! I'm going to see them on 5/31 at The Greek

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Been to Whitewater to see Young the Giant, Leon Bridges and most recently ZZ Top and Willie Nelson. I like the venue, mostly because of the location on the river and I'm from NB, so it's like home. Good sight lines and easy to move around in there. Right on the river so at night you get a cool breeze. 

I don't like the traffic. It can be a shit show if you're coming in from 306, and some areas can get down to 2-lanes. Not built to handle massive traffic. I highly recommend getting there early to avoid sitting in traffic. The line to get in the venue for ZZ Top was long as shit too and wrapped around the parking lot. Probably due to not enough workers.  May take a while to get out as well, so take a survival pack. In case of emergency, pop a top. 

5 minutes ago, DToro said:

Been to Whitewater to see Young the Giant, Leon Bridges and most recently ZZ Top and Willie Nelson. I like the venue, mostly because of the location on the river and I'm from NB, so it's like home. Good sight lines and easy to move around in there. Right on the river so at night you get a cool breeze. 

I don't like the traffic. It can be a shit show if you're coming in from 306, and some areas can get down to 2-lanes. Not built to handle massive traffic. I highly recommend getting there early to avoid sitting in traffic. The line to get in the venue for ZZ Top was long as shit too and wrapped around the parking lot. Probably due to not enough workers.  May take a while to get out as well, so take a survival pack. In case of emergency, pop a top. 

Thanks for the tips. Did you buy your tickets online? Show is on Saturday. Still no tickets emailed to me.

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Thanks for the tips. Did you buy your tickets online? Show is on Saturday. Still no tickets emailed to me.

One of my old buddies from UT (Brack-Roberts) got the tix. He bought them online. He was worried too, and didn't get them until 2 or 3 days before the show. I think they do that to prevent $$$ resale. 

On 5/22/2023 at 2:14 PM, Sbbruin said:

Have you been to the Greek before?  An outstanding venue.  Second only to the Santa Barbara County bowl IMO.

My wife and I caught Caamp at The Greek last summer. Very cool venue indeed.

So Rainbow Kitten Surprise, after cancelling two Florida shows (one 10 minutes after it was supposed to start) and High Water Fest due to a “medical incident”, have now cancelled the rest of their tour. We had tix for Las Colinas in November. This sucks. They’re awesome.

Wife and I are going to see Dead & Co on Friday at Starplex. Mainly going to hang out with friends and use their extra, cheap lawn tickets. I’m not a huge Dead fan but this is the last tour so why not?

• Hook 'Em 1

BottleRock starts Friday. I’m hoping we can get there in time for The Stone Foxes set at 3:30 (not likely); however, we will definitely be there for Mike Campbell & The Dirty Knobs. Thinking about skipping some of The Smashing Pumpkins to hear a few songs from War. 

Went to Bingham last August at Whitewater. Got confirmation day I bought them but got the link in an email Thursday before (show was Saturday). Like was mentioned above plenty of room, concessions were among the best managed I've ever seen. Very quick servjce

On 5/22/2023 at 10:00 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I saw OFF! at a small club in Chicago. My buddies used to skate with their old drummer Mario Rubalcaba. It was really fun show and it was kinda surreal watching Keith Morris wander around a club considering his legendary status as lead singer in both Circle Jerks and Black Flag. I'm not super into free jazz punk so I'll probably be avoiding them in the future. 

Bought tickets to the Liz Phair show at the Moody in December. She's doing all of Exile in Guyville and playing the hits off Whip Smart and Whitechocolatespaceegg, I would assume

• Hook 'Em 1