Concerts you are attending

bamachine

I'm a huge War Cloud fan. They relocated from Oakland to Austin at the start of the pandemic. My friend Alex fronts that band, he just got married yesterday, I stayed with them when I was in Austin last month. The band is reminiscent of early 80's Thrash, landing somewhere between Metallica and Iron Maiden with twin lead guitars. Alex very gentle, nice young carpenter who somehow transformers into a total madman on stage. I've never seen a bad War Cloud show.

War Cloud sounds great to me, and they are the ones kicking off the festival at 3pm Friday.  I will definitely plan on catching their set.

War Cloud had a bunch of gear stolen in Houston last night. Not much lower than stealing tools from a traveling band.

From the band

"Robbed in Houston last night. Please keep an eye for these guitars.
White Gibson Les Paul, White Gibson Flying V with single pick up, white Jackson bass, as well as the following.
-Black Les Paul (says Savage Master on the truss rod cover)
-2 cymbal bags and cymbals
-Pedals with wooden beaters
-Small black plastic latch case with WC in white tape
-Road Star pedalboard case
-DW stick bag
-red hard shell skb snare case
Please let us know if you find anything, any help is very much appreciated.

Everything has War Cloud marked all over it."FB_IMG_1650735554408.jpg

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

War Cloud had a bunch of gear stolen in Houston last night. Not much lower than stealing tools from a traveling band.

From the band

"Robbed in Houston last night. Please keep an eye for these guitars.
White Gibson Les Paul, White Gibson Flying V with single pick up, white Jackson bass, as well as the following.
-Black Les Paul (says Savage Master on the truss rod cover)
-2 cymbal bags and cymbals
-Pedals with wooden beaters
-Small black plastic latch case with WC in white tape
-Road Star pedalboard case
-DW stick bag
-red hard shell skb snare case
Please let us know if you find anything, any help is very much appreciated.

Everything has War Cloud marked all over it."FB_IMG_1650735554408.jpg

As of two hours ago, they have recovered most of their equipment, thanks to diligent Guitar Center employees in North Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, elguapo said:

Going to Billy Strings tonight

Caught him at Toyota Irving last night, stubhub had some cheap af seats for $20 so rolled out there. Dude and his band jammed the f out for a couple hours. Crowd was into it, and holy shit the place was a cloud of weed smoke. Not huge on bluegrass overall but damn they are talented 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bluto said:

Caught him at Toyota Irving last night, stubhub had some cheap af seats for $20 so rolled out there. Dude and his band jammed the f out for a couple hours. Crowd was into it, and holy shit the place was a cloud of weed smoke. Not huge on bluegrass overall but damn they are talented 

Was also there. The entire group was incredible. Lot of Deadheads there. Lot of Deadheads. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Everclear was quite good last night (Empire Control Room/Garage).  Art's voice was a little weak, and when I mentioned it to my wife on the way home, she said she thought it might have been related to his MS.  I didn't even know he had MS.

The band was smokin' good, especially the drummer.  Good venue, too, although being dead flat makes it hard to see from the back.

It was nice to get out.

• Like 1

Are Meat Puppets based in Austin these days?  As far as I recall, Curt Kirkwood moved here and rotated through a bunch of Austin guys (Kyle Ellison & Shandon Sahm (Pariah), Andrew Duplantis (Son Volt, Jon Dee Graham, Bob Mould)).

They’ve been based here for going on 20 years. I think Curt moved here when they originally broke up. His son Elmo is in the band now. Randomly, his daughter is my wife’s hairdresser. She works out of the Sola salon on Burnet. She always tells my wife some crazy ass stories from growing up around the band. She was their tour manager while in her teens when they were out with Nirvana and witnessed some shit.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Caamp tonight and I'm fucking pumped for a full set. They fucking murdered it at High Water this weekend. Probably will wind up at MMJ on Thursday too.

Damn, buddy of mine offered me free tix bit couldn’t swing it either. How was it

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Damn, buddy of mine offered me free tix bit couldn’t swing it either. How was it

Was it me? LOL. I happened to pop on AXS resale around 4:30 or so and saw there were a couple of tickets upstairs for sale for $50/each. I jumped on it and my wife and I sat on the first row Stage Left upstairs. Great decision so we didn't have to fight the GA downstairs. I ate my GA tickets as nobody could claim them on such short notice.

At any rate, it was a great, great fucking show.

Edited by C-Man

Jack White kicked ass tonight. I know I’m hotter on him than some around here but if you like loud-ass guitar music it’s hard to go wrong with his shows. It was also a phone-free show, and after having now attended this one I would be fine if they were all that way. It was so nice not to have to look through a sea of screens.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got there really early and was the first person in the lot. They parked cars right in front of mine, so I had to wait for that to move. Delayed a long drive back to Austin. Great show though. It was Jim and Patrick’s birthday and they seemed really happy to be up there. Can’t wait for the Austin show tomorrow!

I picked up some of your beer while I was in town too!

• Like 1

MMJ was so damn good and I loved the setlist. Still can't believe how close you can get to the stage on the White Oak lawn. Probably because it was an older crowd, but I just walked right up on Jim's side of the stage and was about 5 people back. I think the trick with parking is to buy Lot D ahead of time. It's a little bit more of a walk, but there was no line to get into the lot when I pulled up like there was for Lot B.

3 hours ago, stc said:

amyl and the sniffers at hotel vegas was wild. straight up rock show with endless energy. openening band, coffin, was also very entertaining. never miss an aussie band playing in austin, they love it here. 

Did you hear any of the bands inside?