Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Blues on the Green lineup for the first concert looks pretty good.

Sneaky Peaches and the Fuzz have a stupid name but catchy music.

Zach Person will be good.

Have not really listened to Sir Woman but know they're getting a lot of attention lately.  

I saw Lukas Nelson earlier this month. Absolutely fantastic show. I’ll see him again.

Saw The Lumineers with Caamp as the opener in Jacksonville a couple weeks ago. Both bands were awesome. I can’t stop listening to Caamp, they are my current favorite.

My buddy just saw Paul McCartney at the Citrus Bowl this past weekend and said he played for 3 hours. Hate I missed that one. 

Have not really listened to Sir Woman but know they're getting a lot of attention lately.  

I prefer her other band, Wild Child. Sir Woman was supposed to be a one off record and tour but took off on its own. I hope Wild Child comes back since their last album was fantastic.

BottleRock was great this year. Met a lot of cool people in town from TX; however, nobody from Surly. 

On Friday, we posted up early at the fence between the VIP and Platinum sections to guarantee being up close for Metallica. Luckily, all the bands we wanted to see (Fantastic Negrito, Spoon, Greta Van Fleet, Metallica) played at the same stage. I was really impressed by Marcus King and probably would have missed him if it weren’t for the artists before and after him. Hope to see him perform live again. 

We were checking out Bastardane early in the day (1pm) and Hetlfield was there (his son is the band’s drummer).

58FB74AC-188A-4F86-846F-0007D1809F65.jpeg

B17C7039-9C2C-4296-A2C2-7FFB37400F08.jpeg

ED6BF82C-7E8F-4757-A9A8-C2C1DC9837E3.jpeg

0AF04820-9836-4A6C-BBE0-6B3DF92CEBED.jpeg

9130C923-9B22-40BA-AE98-53014B267B20.jpeg

B9A75E51-8F57-4404-974E-0B23F5D728E9.jpeg

• Like 1

Sunday at BottleRock was more relaxed. We arrived later in the day and saw Michael Franti. He put on the most positive show I’ve ever attended. During one of the songs, he jumped off the stage and made his way around the crowd. After Franti, we just ate and roamed around before Pink went on. She is very entertaining live. My wife’s phone has the video and pictures of her flying above the crowd. 

F0CC9AC3-F038-4D4E-8351-80268C0A0BB8.jpeg

54D68D96-D665-488F-A018-5F086439C46E.jpeg

Edited by HornPhD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HornPhD said:

BottleRock was great this year. Met a lot of cool people in town from TX; however, nobody from Surly. 

On Friday, we posted up early at the fence between the VIP and Platinum sections to guarantee being up close for Metallica. Luckily, all the bands we wanted to see (Fantastic Negrito, Spoon, Greta Van Fleet, Metallica) played at the same stage. I was really impressed by Marcus King and probably would have missed him if it weren’t for the artists before and after him. Hope to see him perform live again. 

We were checking out Bastardane early in the day (1pm) and Hetlfield was there (his son is the band’s drummer).

58FB74AC-188A-4F86-846F-0007D1809F65.jpeg

B17C7039-9C2C-4296-A2C2-7FFB37400F08.jpeg

ED6BF82C-7E8F-4757-A9A8-C2C1DC9837E3.jpeg

0AF04820-9836-4A6C-BBE0-6B3DF92CEBED.jpeg

9130C923-9B22-40BA-AE98-53014B267B20.jpeg

B9A75E51-8F57-4404-974E-0B23F5D728E9.jpeg

Wow. You got Hardwired and Whiskey in a Jar. 

I’m very thankful I got whiplash and Moth Into Flame in those slots. Hardwired would be fine, but not over whiplash. 

I’d take chopsticks over whiskey in a jar. 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1

Summer/early fall lineup looks nice for me. Haven’t been to this many shows since probably around 2008 but I said f it I’m almost too old to go to shoes and I’ll hate most of these experiences but it’s one last hurrah mostly 

June
Belle and Sebastian (Japanese Breakfast opening)
Lisa Loeb
Jason Isbell (Sheryl Crow opening)

July
Dead & Co (maybe)
Death Cab For Cutie
The Roots
Elton John 
Courtney Barnett (Lucy Ducas opening)

August
Kaleo (maybe)
Lord Huron
Brandi Carlile 
Ben Folds

September
The National
Pearl Jam
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats (maybe)
Jason Isbell
Sunny Day Real Estate
Low

October
Pavement
Avett Bros
Arcade Fire (Beck opening)

• Hook 'Em 5

It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
I was out choppin' cotton, and my brother was balin' hay
And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat
And mama hollered out the back door, y'all, remember to wipe your feet
And then she said, I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge
Today, Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:27 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Summer/early fall lineup looks nice for me. Haven’t been to this many shows since probably around 2008 but I said f it I’m almost too old to go to shoes and I’ll hate most of these experiences but it’s one last hurrah mostly 

June
Belle and Sebastian (Japanese Breakfast opening)
Lisa Loeb
Jason Isbell (Sheryl Crow opening)

July
Dead & Co (maybe)
Death Cab For Cutie
The Roots
Elton John 
Courtney Barnett (Lucy Ducas opening)

August
Kaleo (maybe)
Lord Huron
Brandi Carlile 
Ben Folds

September
The National
Pearl Jam
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats (maybe)
Jason Isbell
Sunny Day Real Estate
Low

October
Pavement
Avett Bros
Arcade Fire (Beck opening)

The saddest days in my life when I get too old too:

play my guitar 

go to concerts 

my 2 favorite things. Have a blast! I’d buy you a beer if I could.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from taking my 14yo to see Lord Huron at Red Rocks.  First time there for either of us.  Wow, it lived up to the hype.

PXL_20220603_043216813.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.ed92b814308e4a89eb7801100297497d.jpg

PXL_20220603_040705688.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.ee83497c269c4a47b4a0dfe7537af470.jpg

PXL_20220603_040754942.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.384a65b5fceff4efc0e59d503e7802f6.jpg

PXL_20220603_042741372.NIGHT_2.thumb.jpg.abdae30365cddab00acc04c9cb24c4d4.jpg

I'd considered it a bucket list item, but instead of marking it off I'm now looking for the next show we want to see up there.

Also, I can recommend the Eddy Hotel if you're traveling up there.  It was really cool, was walking distance to fun stuff in Golden, and had a concert shuttle that was well worth it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 10:08 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

CAAMP @ Red Rocks 10/3

I'm dying to get up there for one of their two shows at Red Rocks.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:25 PM, jinx said:

I saw Lukas Nelson earlier this month. Absolutely fantastic show. I’ll see him again.

Saw The Lumineers with Caamp as the opener in Jacksonville a couple weeks ago. Both bands were awesome. I can’t stop listening to Caamp, they are my current favorite.

My buddy just saw Paul McCartney at the Citrus Bowl this past weekend and said he played for 3 hours. Hate I missed that one. 

As I mentioned a few posts up, I'm completely obsessed with CAAMP at the moment. Seeing them (again LOL) a month from tonight in LA.

11 hours ago, Damor said:

Just got back from taking my 14yo to see Lord Huron at Red Rocks.  First time there for either of us.  Wow, it lived up to the hype.

I'd considered it a bucket list item, but instead of marking it off I'm now looking for the next show we want to see up there.

Also, I can recommend the Eddy Hotel if you're traveling up there.  It was really cool, was walking distance to fun stuff in Golden, and had a concert shuttle that was well worth it.

Red Rocks is an insanely cool music venue.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Damor said:

that's awesome.  red rocks is a great venue and lord huron is bad fucking ass.  i bet that was a great show.

• Hook 'Em 1

steely dan at acl live last night. donald fagan's voice is pretty weak and he's letting the backup singers prop him up a lot...otherwise the band is tight as hell and they sounded fantastic. setlist isn't all that different from the last time i saw them but i'll take it. 

Yeah, Hay really turned my head when he did the acoustic "Overkill" on Scrubs.

EDIT:  "Ghosts appear and fade away" might be a top 10 lyric for me.  I never, ever got it from the original pop recording.  

EDIT:  Fuck it, I'll go full fanboi.  This is amazing:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

EDIT:  "Ghosts appear and fade away" might be a top 10 lyric for me.  I never, ever got it from the original pop recording.  

They did that one! He really caught my eye when I saw him do a solo, acoustic version of "Who Can It Be Now" on the youtubes several years back. For me, he was as central to the show as Ringo last night.

2 things.

1) At one point he said he's been asked if songwriting was a worthwhile endeavor - he replied, "I wrote this one in 30 minutes and have lived off it for 40 years, so yes". Then went into "Land Down Under".

2) Right before Overkill i went up to the stage directly in front of him and he pointed at me and said hi! I moved back to my seat at the direction of security just after, but it was a cool moment.

Steve Lukather really hit my radar last night. Ive always liked the Toto hits, but never realized what a player he is. Phenominal. He commented that it was new playing those songs without keys since Edger was out, but they sounded just as great stripped down.

5 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Steve Lukather really hit my radar last night. Ive always liked the Toto hits, but never realized what a player he is. Phenominal. He commented that it was new playing those songs without keys since Edger was out, but they sounded just as great stripped down.

Lukather is a total monster.  His session list is mind-blowing.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:00 AM, BigOrange1 said:

that's awesome.  red rocks is a great venue and lord huron is bad fucking ass.  i bet that was a great show.

It was amazing, and I love that band.  Absolutely lived up to expectations.

Well... I didn't expect to bring COVID home with me, but no ragrets.

One of the best voices in music, imo.  I’d love to see him in concert sometime.  

Man, I dig me some Colin Hay. And yeah, his acoustic Overkill is strong in my rotation, and has been for years. It’s such a fantastic song.

That Starr all star band show sounds incredible.
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:38 PM, stc said:

steely dan at acl live last night. donald fagan's voice is pretty weak and he's letting the backup singers prop him up a lot...otherwise the band is tight as hell and they sounded fantastic. setlist isn't all that different from the last time i saw them but i'll take it. 

So, would you do it again?

• Like 2

haha I guess so. I'm going for The Warning. I don't know any music from the other 2 bands. I'll be learning.

I’ve seen all three. Halestorm is fronted by Lzzy Hale, she’s the chick on the ESPN College Gameday intro. Here she is covering Pantera with some other awesome ladies (none of y’all can have Reba Meyers I already called dibs):

The Pretty Reckless is fronted by Taylor Momsen, aka Cindy Lou Who from the Jim Carey Grinch movie:

b485c945101b70e1d024806864fc327c.jpg

She all growns up now though:

c3808e6fecfbdea6d05c85b20289f91c.jpg

They are a guilty pleasure band for me. I saw them open for Soundgarden on one of their last shows. I like them for the cheesy thing they are. It sounds like she made a band with a bunch of her dad’s buddies (I would totally be in that band):

saw jimmy buffett at the moody arena on saturday night. arena is nice...plenty of bars and bathrooms, rows were wide enough to walk by someone without them standing up. sound is still shit...plenty loud but muddy as fuck. concert was fun, lots of old drunk people having a good time. was surprised he had about 12 people on stage. voice still sounds fine. 

also $12.50 for a bud light and $14 for a budweiser...apparently budweiser is premium. wtf. 

Saw Belle and Sebastian and Japanese Breakfast last night at Wolf Trap in Virginia. B&S is one of my top 3 favorite bands and I've loved them since 1997; they still kill it live. They had a great set - real old stuff, middle-catolog stuff, and songs off their latest album.

Japanese Breakfast surprised me. I like their stuff, but always thought a show would be like a somewhat mundane play-by-numbers stand and play and leave. Nope. They jammed. It was spectacular. 

On 5/4/2022 at 11:16 PM, ScottS said:

Any of you NYC area posters attending the John Hinckley Jr. concert on July 8th in Brooklyn at the Market Hotel?  No idea if Jodie Foster is planning on attending.

https://www.markethotel.org/calendar/2022/6/17/scenic-presents-voivod-63h9y

image.png.75cc0762f96d6a91062236d2c47ebbfd.png

I am loathe to quote myself, but if anyone was thinking about making the John Hinckley Jr. Concert at the Market Hotel, well, you are out of luck.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/john-hinckley-jr-brooklyn-concert-canceled-market-hotel-1235046409/

John Hinckley Jr.’s  planned Brooklyn concert was actually the third stop on his so-called Redemption Tour to cancel, says the singer-songrwriter who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981.

“I’ve had 3 concerts cancelled – Chicago, Connecticut and now Brooklyn,” Hinckley tweeted this afternoon. “The promoter is looking for another venue.”

Concerts at Chicago’s Logan Square Auditorium, which had been planned for July 23, and a New Year’s Eve concert at the Space Ballroom in Hamden, Connecticut, apparently were canceled prior to the announcement by the Brooklyn venue Market Hotel yesterday.

In an email sent by the Market Hotel to ticketholders yesterday, the venue said that Scenic Events NYC, Hinckley’s promoter, was seeking a replacement venue for the concert. “If a new location is secured, you will be contacted via this email address in advance of the date, with the new location information,” the message states. “If the organizers are unable to secure a new venue for the concert, then the purchase price of your ticket(s) will be refunded within 3 days of the scheduled event date.”

hinckley-1.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1
John Hinckley John Hinckley YouTube

John Hinckley Jr.’s  planned Brooklyn concert was actually the third stop on his so-called Redemption Tour to cancel, says the singer-songrwriter who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981.

“I’ve had 3 concerts cancelled – Chicago, Connecticut and now Brooklyn,” Hinckley tweeted this afternoon. “The promoter is looking for another venue.”

Concerts at Chicago’s Logan Square Auditorium, which had been planned for July 23, and a New Year’s Eve concert at the Space Ballroom in Hamden, Connecticut, apparently were canceled prior to the announcement by the Brooklyn venue Market Hotel yesterday.

In an email sent by the Market Hotel to ticketholders yesterday, the venue said that Scenic Events NYC, Hinckley’s promoter, was seeking a replacement venue for the concert. “If a new location is secured, you will be contacted via this email address in advance of the date, with the new location information,” the message states. “If the organizers are unable to secure a new venue for the concert, then the purchase price of your ticket(s) will be refunded within 3 days of the scheduled event date.”

On its Twitter page, Scenic Presents describes itself as a “Brooklyn based shadowy organization fighting faux-indie, boring, corporate chain rock shows since the new millennium.”

Hinckley was released from court supervision Wednesday 41 years after his attempted assassination in 1981 of Reagan. The long-planned concert at the hip venue in Brooklyn’s Bushwick neighborhood was canceled out of safety concerns, the venue operators said yesterday.

Hinckley, a singer-songwriter who has released his music on streaming sites and a YouTube channel, was set to have made his first post-release concert appearance at the Market Hotel venue on July 8. The show, which quickly sold out in recent weeks, was canceled by the venue today for what the proprietors said was, in part, concern “for the safety of our vulnerable communities…”

Though the venue operators defended the initial decision to open the club to Hinckley, noting that the 67-year-old singer-guitarist’s planned concert tour “sends a message that mental health issues and a criminal past can be recovered from and atoned for, after serving one’s debt to society and getting real treatment” – ultimately the security risks weren’t worth the gamble.

“If we were going to host an event for the principle, and potentially put others at risk in doing so, it shouldn’t be for some stunt booking — no offense to the artist,” the venue said in a statement on its Instagram page.  “We might feel differently if we believed the music was important and transcended the infamy, but that’s just not the case here.”

All restrictions on Hinckley’s freedom were lifted today in a move that has been expected since last fall, when U.S. District Court Judge Paul L. Friedman said he’d free Hinckley if he remained mentally stable and residing in the Virginia community where he has lived under supervision since 2016.

“After 41 years 2 months and 15 days, FREEDOM AT LAST!!!, ” Hinckley tweeted just after midnight today.

Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity after shooting Reagan on March 30, 1981, wounding the president as well as police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy. More seriously wounded was Reagan’s Press Secretary James Brady, who was permanently disabled and died from his injuries 33 years later. Hinckley would later claim that he carried out the attempted assassination to garner the attention of actress Jodie Foster.

In yesterday’s statement from the Market Hotel, the venue operators say that the event came to the Hotel through “a third-party promoter, and we approved it because it sounded like an interesting gathering and a memorable night. Hosting provocative happenings for its own sake is valid, and should be part of any venue’s reason to exist.

“There was a time when a place could host a thing like this, maybe a little offensive, and the reaction would be ‘it’s just a guy playing a show, who does it hurt — it’s a free country.’ We aren’t living in that kind of free country anymore, for better or for worse.”

Here is the venue’s full statement:

After a lot of serious consideration, we are canceling the scheduled event at Market Hotel with John Hinckley.

This even came to Market Hotel through a third-party promoter, and we approved it because it sounded like an interesting gathering and a memorable night. Hosting provocative happenings for its own sake is valid, and should be part of any venue’s reason to exist. The tour also sends a message that mental health issues and a criminal past can be recovered from and atoned for, after serving one’s debt to society and getting real treatment.

There was a time when a place could host a thing like this, maybe a little offensive, and the reaction would be “it’s just a guy playing a show, who does it hurt — it’s a free country.” We aren’t living in that kind of free country anymore, for better or for worse.

It’s worth reiterating that this guy performing harms no one in any practical way. This is a sexagenarian with an acoustic guitar. All the outrage and concern are entirely about the quote message it sends unquote. Make no mistake: canceling this concert will not deter future assassins and will have no effect on mass shootings, and it certainly won’t reverse the awfulness of what Hinckley did 40 years ago. It’s also ludicrous to claim allowing the show might inspire some future killer — “I wanna be like Hinckley — he got to play Market Hotel.” We’re a little room and it’s just a concert. It does not “matter” — beyond the strong emotions it has been used to stoke.

We do believe that ex-cons and people will mental illness can recover, and that we should want them to maintain hope that they can better themselves and earn a chance to fully rejoin society… but we are living in dangerous times, and after being presented with and reflecting on some very real and worsening threats and hate facing our vulnerable communities — our family here in nightlife — and after seeing the nature of who this booking has antagonized, and who and what else those same folks are upset about: we don’t see the need to allow someone who did something awful to skip the line and play even our middle size independent community stage — and in doing so put our vulnerable communities at risk (without their consent) — especially if that artist wouldn’t have sold the tickets without the story of who they are and the violent thing they did.

If we were going to host an event for the principle, and potentially put others at risk in doing so, it shouldn’t be for some stunt booking — no offense to the artist. We might feel differently if we believed the music was important and transcended the infamy, but that’s just not the case here (though any artist can get there — even someone who committed awful crimes and suffered mental illness).

It is not worth the gamble on the safety of our vulnerable communities to give a guy a microphone and a paycheck from his art who hasn’t had to earn it, who we don’t care about on an artistic level, and who upsets people in a dangerously radicalized, reactionary climate.
– love, MARKET HOTEL

41 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Gonna buy tickets in the morning for my brother, that shithead Ldogg and myself for Clutch/Helmet/Quicksand/JD Pinkus.  The two first albums from Quicksand and Helmet were really important for me in the 90s.

I remember seeing Helmet in ‘97 at Liberty Lunch. Loud, hot, crazy show. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 2