Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Do NOT miss Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs if you get the chance. Basically the Heartbreakers without Tom Petty. Badass and tugged at the nostalgia heartstrings big. Just an opener at the fest but kickass.

e346b600b0d19db5f4e15e3aa9945de4.png
I them recently at a smaller venue and they were great, but unless something has changed, Mike is the only Heartbreaker in the band. I am taking a pass on seeing them again this tour when they return and play the Fillmore.

Considering taking the kids (7,9) to Khruangbin on Saturday night and grabbing some lawn tickets.  

I normally avoid Cota like the plague, but this one seemed low key enough.  Any body have an idea on when Cota concerts end?  For some reason, I thought they typically wrap up a little earlier, like 10:30-11.

35 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Considering taking the kids (7,9) to Khruangbin on Saturday night and grabbing some lawn tickets.  

I normally avoid Cota like the plague, but this one seemed low key enough.  Any body have an idea on when Cota concerts end?  For some reason, I thought they typically wrap up a little earlier, like 10:30-11.

saw a show there last week and it ended at 11:00, but it was a wednesday night. 

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

taking the gf to see Smashing Pumpkins/Jane's Addiction in October. Teenage nu metal me is somewhat cringing at the thought, but I know I'll get laid after, so win win

Would love to see Jane's Addiction - just not in a basketball arena.  

I originally saw their Nothing's Shocking tour @ Numbers in Houston for $6.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, AnotherUTFan said:
On 9/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, Buzzrock said:
Do NOT miss Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs if you get the chance. Basically the Heartbreakers without Tom Petty. Badass and tugged at the nostalgia heartstrings big. Just an opener at the fest but kickass.

e346b600b0d19db5f4e15e3aa9945de4.png

I them recently at a smaller venue and they were great, but unless something has changed, Mike is the only Heartbreaker in the band. I am taking a pass on seeing them again this tour when they return and play the Fillmore.

You are correct, that was a misfire by me. 

• Like 1

On a whim got tickets for the wife and I to see Switchfoot / Collective Soul in Sugar Land, Tx last night.  Turned out to be a great show. Collective Soul was good but Switchfoot just killed it. They were awesome. They really got into having good time playing in front (or in the middle of during some songs) of a live audience.

I'll definitely be putting Switchfoot on the list to go see anytime they are performing nearby.

headed to the Format Festival in Bentonville this weekend.  it's described as a multidisciplinary experience unifying over eighty live music acts with two dozen visual, performance, and institutional artists from around the world.  looking forward to Phoenix and Flaming Lips.  i think we'll miss Kruangbhin as they come on late Sunday but we've seen them a lot lately.  also curious / excited to see Kingfish Ingram. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I hope at least a few sooner fans noticed his stool at the beginning. 
AE519625-251C-4E11-BDBE-55BE9B4A159B.jpeg.4bf991b96b48007a71830d89fc6f27ae.jpeg
also my avatar from ACL ‘09. 

I didn’t see that. Us sooners would only appreciate it if it was turned upside down.

Full disclosure. It embarrasses me that sooners do the horns down when we’re playing the likes of iowa st.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not the world's biggest Pearl Jam fan -- I like 'em just fine, but they're far from my favorite band -- that said, Eddie Vedder is a badass, old school rock star.  We need more young Eddie Vedders to come up through the ranks.

He’s very engaging with the audience. He makes a stadium feel like an intimate setting somehow. 

He told stories of two separate families during the show at different times. One story was about two kids he met years ago. He pointed to them in the audience and tols us one was now in the naval academy. The other story was about a wounded iraq war vet. Pointed him out in the crowd; put him on the video board. Thanked him for his service.

He told a story about his first concert and how he had nosebleed seats. Pointed to the upper deck and told them they could be in his shoes someday.

He mentioned the supersonics moving to OKC years ago in a lighthearted manner. The drummer was wearing a thunder hat. 

He seems to do some research to personalize the show for the local audience.

He just seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Edited by GenXer

He does his research.  He'll go back and see what they've played in a city and what they haven't.  He usually has a good story or two about playing there.  Last time they played OKC Jeff came out for the encore wearing a Sonics jersey.

the talking doesn't really bother me no matter who i'm seeing.  there's a setlist and those are the songs they're playing whether it's 2 hours or 3.  they're also old now and need to rest every once in a while.

Edited by 4th&Five

Jeff Beck and ZZ Top. Jeff Beck was boring, watched a 78 year old man noodle around on a guitar for an hour...his drummer was really good though. Billy Gibbons is still a bad motherfucker, the difference in stage presence between him and Beck was like night and day. They played all the hits you would expect. Just Got Paid, damn it just rips. Jeff Beck came back out for the encore and played 4 songs with them. Rough Boy was a surprise, and now I can say I've seen La Grange featuring Jeff Beck...although I think it would've been better without him.

• Like 1

Went to see the Monophonics @ The Wonder Ballroom in Portland last night but I was really there so see their opener, GA-20.

Monophonics were fine but I could envision them playing on a cruise ship or wedding reception.

GA-20 were spectacular.  Really dug them.  Really good blues rock.

CLYr2H4ZQKtQ3s10mDeM1E64JISHl8zoUSOqmvyl

• Like 2

Got Jack White tonight in Houston.
Love everything he does.  
 I'm usually good for a few blurry, shitty concert photos, lol.  Unfortunately or fortunately won't be able due to his phone policy.
Gonna be a long day with the Tech game>Show

The phone ban policy was one of my favorite parts when I saw him. Everyone just digging the show like the old days.
  • Like 1

Really thinking of grabbing a pair of tix for Lake Street Dive at Stubbs on Tuesday. I’ve never done a show there - seems that everything is GA, how does it work there? Do you need to get there a fair bit before show time to get a decent spot? If you do, are you packed in so you can’t get a drink or head to the pisser?
Because I’d like to see the show, and of course, give Rachel Price the window she’s wanted to lock eyes with me and invite me to some post-show shenanigans. It seems only fair.

Stubb's sucks ass.  Unless something has changed, the pissers are port-o-potties, and filthy ones at that.  I've heard you can now buy VIP access to the inside bathrooms, which is such a shitty (ahem) way to treat customers.  Don't host 2K people if you don't have the facilities, but hey, Austin.

Oh yeah, the sightlines suck.  Perfect combination of stage height (lack thereof) and GA grading.

I might not like Stubb's.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Is Spoon opening for Interpol on this tour?

That pisses me off, if true.

I have seen Spoon live exactly once. They opened for a local ska punk band. One of my favorite shows ever.

Caught Khruangbin tonight. They were fine, but all the goofy-dancing millennials kinda ruined the vibe. It’s beer commercial music. Fucking relax and stop making an ass of yourself in public.

And re the opening act, some self-indulgent speed jazz / yacht rock mashup band called Thundercat:

thumbs-down.png

Stubb's sucks ass.  Unless something has changed, the pissers are port-o-potties, and filthy ones at that.  I've heard you can now buy VIP access to the inside bathrooms, which is such a shitty (ahem) way to treat customers.  Don't host 2K people if you don't have the facilities, but hey, Austin.
Oh yeah, the sightlines suck.  Perfect combination of stage height (lack thereof) and GA grading.
I might not like Stubb's.

So….you’re suggesting I hook up with Rachel Price maybe AFTER the show?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Really thinking of grabbing a pair of tix for Lake Street Dive at Stubbs on Tuesday. I’ve never done a show there - seems that everything is GA, how does it work there? Do you need to get there a fair bit before show time to get a decent spot? If you do, are you packed in so you can’t get a drink or head to the pisser?
Because I’d like to see the show, and of course, give Rachel Price the window she’s wanted to lock eyes with me and invite me to some post-show shenanigans. It seems only fair.

I don’t mind Stubbs. Probably been to 100+ shows there. It slopes up to the back to improve viewing angles but it’s hell on your legs standing for a few hours. Sound is much improved in the past 5 years. You can always snake your way closer to the stage if you want but it’d be difficult to get back if you leave for a piss.

The VIP section is an elevated patio at the very back. Nice private bar, seating, and bathrooms. I’ve done it once and it’s pretty good as long as you don’t mind being so far away from the stage.

6 hours ago, LebongJames said:

You can also pee inside in the inside stage area by the pool table and buys drinks at that bar. It’s my go to. Probably shouldn’t share that as it’s never busy

Yeah I always go there if I’m standing on that side. I’ve decided that I’m not a big Stubbs fan. The layout just kinda sucks and my shorty wife can never get good sight lines, plus it’s hot as fuck for half the year in austin. Also the sea of talkings in the back half is pretty obnoxious so I have to try to get close which worsens the view for my wife. Much prefer ACL Live for that level of show. 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:27 PM, BrickHorn said:

I have seen Spoon live exactly once. They opened for a local ska punk band. One of my favorite shows ever.

Caught Khruangbin tonight. They were fine, but all the goofy-dancing millennials kinda ruined the vibe. It’s beer commercial music. Fucking relax and stop making an ass of yourself in public.

And re the opening act, some self-indulgent speed jazz / yacht rock mashup band called Thundercat:

thumbs-down.png

I had tickets and decided Friday I wasn't going to go. Gave my tickets to the gal that cuts my hair. Glad I did after that review. 

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

ACL Live destroys Stubbs in every way.  Great sightlines everywhere, sound is great, plenty of bars and pissers, it's NOT FUCKING OUTSIDE, etc.

I like outdoor shows. But for indoor shows, I prefer small, grungy venues.

ACL Live is sterile. Maybe it was different on the floor and maybe it was just the Sunday night effect, but that place really sapped the energy out of the Dinosaur Jr crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 1