Concerts you are attending

bamachine

friday night i ended up seeing a band at a place called the pershing at 5th and pedernales. it's some sort of private club but i guess they're hurting for revenue and are having public concerts. it was supposed to be $15 but there was no door guy so we just walked in. ended up wandering around the place and finding an arcade and a private bar with a dj spinning some lounge music...they immediately knew we weren't members and sent us back to the public area. none of the people in the room where the band was playing seemed to care about the band...mostly people sitting on couches and looking uninterested. weird place.  

On 2/6/2023 at 10:06 AM, field said:

7544090326cd67cab0c2a6b6098202ba.jpg
WM Phoenix Open puts on a Saturday night concert at 16 nowadays. Really cool venue for a concert. Maroon 5 (meh) and Walker Hayes (terrible) played this year.

two horrible douche bag acts for the biggest collection of douche bag fans on the pga 

Just picked up two tickets to Sunday's Re:Set Festival in June in Grand Prairie for LCD Soundfuckingsystem. I'm pumped.

And got notification that Yeah Yeah Yeahs (wife is a HUGE fan) are playing Toyota in Las Colinas (not far from the casa) on 5/9 (her birthday is several days later) so I'll be buying two to that tomorrow as well.

So here's my update:

3/9: New Order (The Factory, Dallas)

3/25: Shane Smith & the Saints (our TDC/BBQ event at the Cotton Bowl)

4/15-4/16: High Water Fest with Rainbow Kitten Surprise, Beck, Wilco, Father John Misty and more (Charleston, SC)

5/9: Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Irving)

6/12: LCD Soundsystem along with Jamie xx (Grand Prairie)

• Hook 'Em 1

Skinny Puppy's Final Tour - I'll be purchasing my ticket for the Crystal Ballroom in Portland.

They really should be playing at Numbers in Houston.

Tickets go on sale starting Friday, February 10th, at 10 a.m. local on Ticketmaster.com. Check out the full itinerary below.

Skinny Puppy 2023 tour:
Thu Apr 06 – San Antonio, TX – Aztec Theater 
Fri Apr 07 – Houston, TX – House of Blues 
Sat Apr 08 – New Orleans, LA – House of Blues 
Mon Apr 10 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Revolution 
Tue Apr 11 – St. Petersburg, FL – Jannus Live 
Thu Apr 13 – Atlanta, GA – The Buckhead Theatre 
Fri Apr 14 – Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore Charlotte 
Sat Apr 15 – Asheville, NC – The Orange Peel 
Mon Apr 17 – Pittsburgh, PA – The Roxian 
Tue Apr 18 – Philadelphia, PA – Theatre of the Living Arts 
Wed Apr 19 – Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore Silver Spring 
Fri Apr 21 – New York, NY – Irving Plaza 
Sun Apr 23 – Boston, MA – House of Blues 
Tue Apr 25 – Montreal, QC – The Corona Theater 
Wed Apr 26 – Toronto, ON – History  
Fri Apr 28 – Cincinnati, OH – Bogarts 
Sat Apr 29 – Cleveland, OH – House of Blues 
Mon May 01 – Minneapolis, MN – The Fillmore 
Tue May 02 – Lawrence, KS – Liberty Hall 
Wed May 03 – Denver, CO – Summit 
Thu May 04 – Salt Lake City, UT – The Depot 
Sat May 06 – Garden City, ID – Revolution Concert House and Event Center 
Mon May 08 – Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom 
Tue May 09 – Seattle, WA – Neptune 

On 1/29/2023 at 8:24 AM, texasdago said:

If you were a fan of Banana Blender Surprise or The El Orbits, David Beebe will be in Austin from Marta and will be at The Hole in the Wall on February 22nd.

Meanwhile last night at the Jackie Venson show...

PXL_20230129_032646655.jpg

PXL_20230129_033607642.jpg

Banana Blender Surprise goes way back.  My wife went to medical school with the bass player.  I think he is practicing somewhere up in Iowa. 

Edit: It was the lead guitar Jason Barker.

Edited by Gordon Shumway
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Banana Blender Surprise goes way back.  My wife went to medical school with the bass player.  I think he is practicing somewhere up in Iowa. 

I was going to say... I know the bass player and he's no doctor :D.  He does love the oldies, though!

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

The Irving/Houston shows for YYYs have The Faint opening, wish I could get down there. No northeast dates for that tour as yet

I'm not familiar -- should I be? I was disappointed because we weren't getting Perfume Genius for this portion of the tour.

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm not familiar -- should I be? I was disappointed because we weren't getting Perfume Genius for this portion of the tour.

Omaha band that flashed in the early 2000s. Conor Oberst was a founding member. I've seen them a couple times and it's a really fun, high energy short set. I tried to post Agenda Suicide and Evil Voices, but those videos are "age restricted and only on YouTube".

Edited by Bartles
edited

Ha!  That's one of two songs where my daughter takes over lead vocals and rhythm guitar.  (She wrote it.)  I didn't know they were getting radio play, that's awesome.

Let me think about kid-friendly clubs.  I can't speak to whether a club might be all-ages, but (for instance) I wouldn't take a kid to Hotel Vegas or Hole In The Wall.  Maybe the Mohawk balcony?  Empire Control Garage (or even the Room)?  Others can speak to places like Far Out and Scoot Inn, I don't think I've been to either.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Hook 'Em 2

Randy Franklin just let fly with the lineup for the annual Yard Dog Party at ABGB, Friday March 17.

26th Annual Yard Dog Party
at ABGB
Friday March 17
3 - Midnight
FREE ADMISSION. No tickets, no rsvp, no nothin'. FREE ADMISSION.

Music by
11 pm: Waco Brothers
10 pm: Jon Langford & The Far Forlorn
9 pm: The Silos performing the Cuba album
8 pm: Churchwood
7 pm: Wild Seeds
6 pm: Casey Neill
5 pm: Bob Schneider
4 pm: Jon Dee & William Graham
3:20 pm: Alice Spencer and Brian Beattie
3 pm: Ethan Azarian

It's a Yard Dog party but it's not at Yard Dog.
ABGB is at - 1305 W. Oltorf, Austin, TX 78704

• Hook 'Em 2

I knew those guys. I had a biology class with Conrad at UT and got to know David over the years as well. Allen Oldies Band played our wedding. Good times!

Goose- Port Chester, NY (more show TBD by their summer/fall/ winter tour dates)

Billy strings- Red Rocks, Austin B2B nights

Dead and Company- Folsom Field 

Dave Mathews Band - still trying to figure out which venue to see him 

Tyler Childers- Fiddlers Green (this is where i normally see DMB but no dates 🙄)

I’m sure I’ll see more shows throughout the year..

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Heard them on either Sun or KUTX the other day -- I really liked it.  I'll keep an eye out on their tour schedules.

I saw them 4 time from June - October in 2022 each shows was incredible. By far one of the best Jams bands out right now. Goose’s lead Rick, plays time to time with Bob Weir and Phil Lesh. If they come to your town or a near by town goose is a MUST.

two small venue shows I just got tix for. Heavy, Heavy at C-boys in March. And a SoulHat reunion show (short Frosty)with Patrice Pice at Antone's to honor Johnny Walker who recently passed away. Might be the last time ever to hear  "BoneCrusher" live. Walker used to play it on KLBJ on Friday's at five to start the weekend.  Classic.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was at work this morning and some folks came in that were performing tonight at Carnegie Hall. Somehow I have never been in the venue, but I mentioned I played an instrument when I was young and one of the members of the TSO (Toronto Symphony Orchestra) left a ticket for me. I have to say this has been an incredible experience thus far. A solo violinist by the name of Maria Duenas (Picture below) performed and WOW is she going to be a star. She’s just 21 years old, but sometimes you can just tell that there are people who are just going to be better than everyone else at what they do and this young lady is one of those folks. This is the 100th year of the TSO so this is quite the blessing to hear them tonight. It would be worth a trip to Toronto to hear them perform again. The director, Gustavo Gimeno, is also exceptionally good at what he does. He was at breakfast this morning and was really nice. I did not expect to spend my night here, but this is really cool.

0545E884-6C46-40A7-B426-8FE8B3126AE1.thumb.jpeg.49a9d51059338140ae9d665903ca41af.jpeg320BB317-38A4-4175-8859-75120A4264A9.thumb.jpeg.7fa70ac72129cbf354897e814e903ebe.jpeg

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I was at work this morning and some folks came in that were performing tonight at Carnegie Hall. Somehow I have never been in the venue, but I mentioned I played an instrument when I was young and one of the members of the TSO (Toronto Symphony Orchestra) left a ticket for me. I have to say this has been an incredible experience thus far. A solo violinist by the name of Maria Duenas (Picture below) performed and WOW is she going to be a star. She’s just 21 years old, but sometimes you can just tell that there are people who are just going to be better than everyone else at what they do and this young lady is one of those folks. This is the 100th year of the TSO so this is quite the blessing to hear them tonight. It would be worth a trip to Toronto to hear them perform again. The director, Gustavo Gimeno, is also exceptionally good at what he does. He was at breakfast this morning and was really nice. I did not expect to spend my night here, but this is really cool.

0545E884-6C46-40A7-B426-8FE8B3126AE1.thumb.jpeg.49a9d51059338140ae9d665903ca41af.jpeg320BB317-38A4-4175-8859-75120A4264A9.thumb.jpeg.7fa70ac72129cbf354897e814e903ebe.jpeg

she's already signed with deutsche grammophon...she's an absolute star for those of us who follow such things.  that's awesome that you got to see her at CH.  here is an outrageous exposition of her talent at where i have this cued...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@sidis Thank you for posting that video. @jimmyjazz I could not have asked for a better first experience during the show or the time I spent with the bass player and his friends afterwards. I will be taking them up on the invite to Toronto to stay with them and experience the city and hear them perform again.

My boss that usually plays orchestra and classical styles of music in the morning knew exactly who this young woman is and his word for her was prodigy. I could listen to her all day so thank you for educating me better on just how incredibly talented she is. I cannot imagine how much time she spends on her craft, but sweet Lord is she great. I have got to start taking advantage of going to Carnegie regularly since it’s just right there by my job.

Duran Duran/CHIC/Bastille just purchased.  Ironically, when I hear Bastille on the radio, I change the station as some of their songs just grate on me but I'm sure they're better live... most bands are.  Most.  

Might go hear this band at the Far Out... https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2022/02/22/etran-de-lair-agadez/

Saw the Mountain Goats (well the duo John and Matt) last night. It was maybe my favorite MG show of the 7 I’ve been to. So, so good. The version of Clemency of the Wizard King was out of this world perfect, and they played Stars Fell on Alabama which I’ve always wanted to hear and they have only played it a handful of times. 

839FCA1C-6DAD-4745-8265-BA5C5B660D8D.jpeg.492b8d85bab1f7e3ed055081fda16a7a.jpeg

Edited by The Ace of Aces